View previous topic | View next topic

what price a mars bar

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Lucifers_Lady
296476.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:55 am Reply with quote

Last edited by Lucifers_Lady on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

violetriga
296477.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote

Also of interest would be a size comparison over the years.

mckeonj
296488.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote

Try 'nicecupofteaandasitdown.com' for size and price data.
I know they did it for Wagon Wheels; yes, they are smaller.
http://www.nicecupofteaandasitdown.com/

chalkie
296533.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote

apparently , one of the major market markers for any particular country is the tonnage produced of sulphuric acid ( a' level chemistry lesson 1988 )

smiley_face
296543.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote

I had understood that the price of a Big Mac was used as an indicator of the market in any part of the world.

Tenshi
296556.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Lucifers_Lady wrote:
Mars bars were introduced in 1932 from a factory in Slough...and they are still made there now

I used to live near that factory when I was younger. We used to roll the car windows down and have a big sniff whenever we drove past. I still remember the smell of melted chocolate making me want to jump out of the car. Of course my dad had those darn child locks.

I was only 5.

smiley_face
296559.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote

Tenshi wrote:
Lucifers_Lady wrote:
Mars bars were introduced in 1932 from a factory in Slough...and they are still made there now

I used to live near that factory when I was younger. We used to roll the car windows down and have a big sniff whenever we drove past. I still remember the smell of melted chocolate making me want to jump out of the car. Of course my dad had those darn child locks.

I was only 5.

You can still smell the chocolate now. And on a good summers day when the wind is blowing in the right direction, if you really sniff, you can smell it here.

Bondee
296567.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote

The men from Mars aren't actually little green men after all! They're factory workers from Slough.

moppet67
296583.  Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
You can still smell the chocolate now. And on a good summers day when the wind is blowing in the right direction, if you really sniff, you can smell it here

Funny, when I worked opposite the Mars plant in Slough (Buckingham Ave) it made pedigree dog food - lovely on a hot summers day (not)!

oz diva
298370.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:
The men from Mars aren't actually little green men after all! They're factory workers from Slough.

Mars Bars are made at the factory in Ballarat where I live.

Anyway a true story.

This man crashes his car outside Ballarat and spends 8 weeks in the local hospital. Naturally all the student doctors love having him there to practise on. The psych student doctor comes by and asks him about his accident.
Well I drove into a tree and the Man from Mars pulled me from the vehicle.
The Man from Mars, what was he wearing?
Oh just the usual uniform.

The man nearly ended up in the pysch hospital, just because the doc wasn't local.

Sadurian Mike
298392.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:25 pm Reply with quote

Bondee wrote:

It gives Blondie's song "Rapture" a rather different slant.

Sadurian Mike
298394.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:26 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
I had understood that the price of a Big Mac was used as an indicator of the market in any part of the world.

Maybe as an indicator of how much local culture has leaked from the place. [/cynic]

Arcane
298503.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote

my gran told me about melting a substantial amount of mars bar down in the microwave for a short while, mix it up then spread it thickly on a sheet of aluminium foil. if you do it till it just melts, it turns into gooey caramel. if you do it a little longer, it turns into crisp toffee. (microwaves differ so you be the judge). it's a very handy subsitute when you need caramel or toffee in a recipe and you don't have the necessary ingredients or don't have time to faff around making it from scratch.

my gran used to be a pastry cook and still is a whiz in the kitchen, so i trust her implicitly ;-D

Efros
298544.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote

An american exchange student used to make mars bar toasties when I was at Uni, back at the dawn of time!

cornixt
298864.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:39 pm Reply with quote

I've heard that Space Raiders are now more than 10p!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next