View previous topic | View next topic

Name an unusual War

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Alfred E Neuman
282515.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:25 am Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
The Boer war was much later and it was between the British and the Boers, settlers of Dutch / German descent.

The Boers were not of Dutch / German descent. They were mostly of Dutch descent, with a few French Hugenouts thrown in for good measure.

There were German settlers in South Africa at the time of the Boer wars, but they have always kept to themselves and to this day have remained very insular, and most still speak German before they learn any other language. This coupled with the fact that English and Afrikaans are still taught by most schools, and the fact that they mostly live in rural areas where many Zulus don't speak much English (and even less German), many of these Germans are fluent in 4 languages by the time they are 10 years old. The German immigrants were very well organised - each settlement was only sent out if they had sufficient tradesmen and craftsmen to be totally self-sufficient. And they proceeded to remain that way for well over 100 years.

Because of this, it is possible to buy bloody good sausages without travelling very far at all :-)

crissdee
297142.  Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:34 am Reply with quote

Talking of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" as we were a few posts ago reminded me of a tale told to me by a former workmate. Apparently, he and his friends in the sixties would set up a looped video tape of the opening credits to Doctor Who and watch the tape accompanied by the soundtrack album of "War of the Worlds" while getting high! Given the relative ages of the three things mentioned (Home video, Doctor Who and War of the Worlds) is there any part of this story which could have the slightest basis in reality? I am inclined to think not!!

suze
297481.  Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Assuming he means Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds, well that came out in 1978. There wasn't a video machine in every home by then, but they were available (and expensive). Doctor Who was certainly going - it started in 1963.

So it's possible that the story is true, but it would have been late seventies or early eighties.

Lumpo31
297710.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:42 am Reply with quote

Any list of unusual wars would have to include Australia's "civil war", the Eureka Stockade. A rebellion by miners on the Ballarat goldfields, it lasted approximately 15 minutes, but had implications more far reaching than just miners' rights:
The Ubiquitous Mr Wiki wrote:
The preceding three years of agitation for the miners' demands, combined with mass public support in Melbourne for the captured 'rebels' when they were placed on trial, resulted in the introduction of full white-male suffrage for elections for the lower house in the Victorian parliament. The role of the Eureka Stockade in generating public support for these demands beyond the goldfields resulted in Eureka being controversially identified with the birth of democracy in Australia.

s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eureka_Stockade
Peter Lalor, the leader of the miners, went into politics, and was Speaker of the Legislative Assembly in Victoria, 1880-1887.
s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Lalor

Of course, he may well have gone into politics if it weren't for the rebellion, he was a highly-educated man, and his father was the first Catholic MP for Queens County Ireland since the reign of James II.

Lisa

RichWall
297726.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:09 am Reply with quote

I once drove past a newspaper billboard that read:

'DUDLEY WAR HEROES HONOURED'

For the briefest of moments I actually believed there had been a Dudley War. Surely someone would have mentioned that before?

Lumpo31
297981.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 am Reply with quote

RichWall wrote:
I once drove past a newspaper billboard that read:

'DUDLEY WAR HEROES HONOURED'

For the briefest of moments I actually believed there had been a Dudley War. Surely someone would have mentioned that before?

Of course there was a war in Dudley; don't you read the papers?

gobshite
298042.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:32 am Reply with quote

WW 1 had some unusual consequences, one being the introduction of Benedictine as a chaser in pubs and workingmen's clubs in east Lancashire.....I understand the area is still a sales hotspot for the French liqueur.

Soldiers from Lancashire, especially Accrington were based near Fecamp, where the liqueur is made; and became very partial to the brandy based drink.

Sadurian Mike
298196.  Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 pm Reply with quote

crissdee wrote:
Talking of Jeff Wayne's "War of the Worlds" as we were a few posts ago reminded me of a tale told to me by a former workmate.

One of my favourite passages of prose is the narrator's opening piece for that musical/novel. When spoken by Richard Burton and followed by the crashing opening chords (#DUM-dada-dum dum....) it sends shivers up my spine.

Getting drunk (I don't touch non-alcohol drugs), lowering the lights, setting up a swirly lightball and looping that sequence sounds like a great evening.

AlmondFacialBar
298537.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:05 am Reply with quote

can't name an unusual war right now, but the irish rebellion of 1848 culminated in

the battle of the widow mccormack's cabbage patch!

beat that! ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
299013.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:31 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
can't name an unusual war right now, but the irish rebellion of 1848 culminated in

the battle of the widow mccormack's cabbage patch!

beat that! ;-)

AlmondFacialBar

Every week I get the battle of the unmoved laundry. Does that count?

AlmondFacialBar
299021.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:38 pm Reply with quote

any freedom fighting or armed conflict incolved? (and i'm not counting fighting for the freedom to run up and down the stairs unhampered by bedsheets)

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
299032.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
any freedom fighting or armed conflict incolved? (and i'm not counting fighting for the freedom to run up and down the stairs unhampered by bedsheets)

AlmondFacialBar

It is certainly an armed conflict, because I have to carry the laundry in them.

AlmondFacialBar
299036.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:46 pm Reply with quote

*bangs head agaionst wall* i knew i had forgotten something...

AlmondFacialBar

Sadurian Mike
299038.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote

I didn't even mention tank tops.

AlmondFacialBar
299040.  Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:48 pm Reply with quote

OW!

AlmondFacialBar

Page 6 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6