View previous topic | View next topic

Name an unusual War

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

QiScorpion
280766.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote

whatever war it was, it's still funny that we won a battle by singing. based on this, we should be able to win eurovision, but we can't. odd.

Sadurian Mike
280771.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
Apparently in the Boer war, the british army won the battle of Rorke's Drift (i think it's called that ) by singing at the zulus. the zulus apparently just disappeared. maybe the british army was bad at singing....

Shirley, you can't be serious.

1. Zulu War (clue is in the opposition).
2. B Company, 2/24th Foot sang to maintain morale against the Zulu war song.
3. Zulus withdrew because they could see the rest of the British army approaching, and the attack was only ever meant to be a quick "I can do it too" raid by a Zulu prince who missed out on Islandlwana.

QiScorpion
280780.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:01 pm Reply with quote

either way, they sang and the zulus ran off

RICKY66
280782.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote

QiScorpion wrote:
whatever war it was, it's still funny that we won a battle by singing. based on this, we should be able to win eurovision, but we can't. odd.

Try reading the account rather than watching the inaccurate film!

Sadurian Mike
280891.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:33 pm Reply with quote

Any mentioned the War of the Worlds yet?

Apparently no one would have believed in the last years of the 19th Century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.

PDR
280896.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote

The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one, they said: The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one - but still they come...

:0)

Actually did you know that the first Martian spaceship landed on Horsell Common, just outside Woking. If you go walking there you can still see pieces of metal from the demolished spacecraft sticking up out of the ground. It's true, I tell you - go look for yourselves!

Nurse? Is it time for my red pills yet?

PDR

RICKY66
280929.  Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:40 pm Reply with quote

Sadurian Mike wrote:
Any mentioned the War of the Worlds yet?

Apparently no one would have believed in the last years of the 19th Century that human affairs were being watched from the timeless worlds of space.

I saw Jeff Wayne's musical version live at Bournemouth 2 years ago.
It was fantastic! If you get a chance to see it, you must go.

When are they going to film a realistic version following the book set in the UK and set in the late 19th Centuary?
Come on Peter Jackson how about it?

Frances
281316.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

The Taiping Rebellion (or Rebellion of Great Peace) was a large-scale revolt against the authority and forces of the Qing Government in China. It was conducted from 1850 to 1864 by an army and civil administration led by heterodox Christian convert Hong Xiuquan. He established the Heavenly Kingdom of Great Peace with capital Nanjing and attained control of significant parts of southern China, at its height ruling over about 30 million people. The theocratic and militaristic regime instituted several social reforms, including strict separation of the sexes, abolition of foot binding, land socialization, suppression of private trade, and the replacement of Confucianism, Buddhism and Chinese folk religion by a peculiar form of Christianity, holding that Hong Xiuquan was the younger brother of Jesus Christ.

The Taiping areas were constantly besieged and harassed by Qing forces; the rebellion was eventually put down by the Qing army aided by French and British forces. With an estimated death toll of between 20 and 30 million due to warfare and resulting starvation, this civil war ranks among history's deadliest conflicts.[1][2]

Sadurian Mike
281451.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
The Taiping Rebellion (or Rebellion of Great Peace) was a large-scale revolt against the authority and forces of the Qing Government in China.

I thought the Taiping Rebellion petered out due to RSI.

gerontius grumpus
281558.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote

[quote="RICKY66"]
gerontius grumpus wrote:
QiScorpion wrote:
Apparently in the Boer war, the british army won the battle of Rorke's Drift (i think it's called that ) by singing at the zulus. the zulus apparently just disappeared. maybe the british army was bad at singing....

I think you take the piss sir!

You must read about Rorke's Drift:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorke%27s_Drift

No piss do I take, it says Anglo Zulu war in your own source.

The Boer war was much later and it was between the British and the Boers, settlers of Dutch / German descent.

Sadurian Mike
281585.  Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
The Boer war was much later and it was between the British and the Boers, settlers of Dutch / German descent.

Being unacceptably nit-picky here, there were two Boer Wars, the first 1880 to 1881 and the second 1899-1902. After that the British decided to swap opponents and let the Germans shoot at them for a bit.

gerontius grumpus
281753.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:13 am Reply with quote

I think there has been a bit of a mix up.
At being told I was taking the piss, I immediately posted a reply without checking wh had posted what (red mist ). I did notice that my contribution to the quote attributed to me had been deleted, so I assumed I was being subjected to some school bully treatment. On closer inspection, it tuns out that QiScorpion posted the original message and RICKY66 replied to my reply but deleted my part of it.
Sorry RICKY66 for accusing you of claiming that Rorke's Drift was a Boer War battle, but why did you delete my words when you quoted me?

Note: no piss was taken in the posting of this message.

RICKY66
281769.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:55 am Reply with quote

[quote="gerontius grumpus"]
RICKY66 wrote:
gerontius grumpus wrote:
QiScorpion wrote:

I think you take the piss sir!

You must read about Rorke's Drift:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rorke%27s_Drift

No piss do I take, it says Anglo Zulu war in your own source.

Firstly I screwed up the quote it was meant for QiScorpion. The reply wasn't meant for you...gerontius grumpus!
Secondly the idea of the piss being taken wasn't about the two wars being mixed up, an easy mistake by any idiot that isn't really intrested in the subject. It was the idea that it was won by the British Army singing at the Zulu's and winning!
That is why idiots that only watch films and do not read history, find it amusing to take this piss out of such conflicts!

Sadurian Mike
282012.  Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:02 pm Reply with quote

On the subject of the 1879 Zulu war, everyone's image is of massed Zulu warriors terrorising the British and settlers.

Sadly for our history, it was caused by the British invading Zulu territory and Cetewayo (the Zulu king) did all he could to avoid war. Without saying the Zulus were peaceful agrarian vegetarians (I'm not a Sioux apologist), they were a fairly sophisticated people and knew damned well that war against the British wasn't going to be a good thing.

Alfred E Neuman
282491.  Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:12 am Reply with quote

Around here (Rorke's drift is about an hour's drive north of me), it's called the Anglo-Zulu war, which differentiates it from the many wars the Zulu fought - against themselves, other tribes and of course against the boers.

As far as I know the two Anglo-Boer wars are just called the Boer Wars in England, but here they're called the Anglo-boer wars by English-speaking South Africans and the Vryheids OorloŽ (Freedom Wars) by Afrikaans speaking South Africans (who are the Boers - which means 'farmers').

Essentially if you were living around here 100 to 150 years ago and didn't have a war named after you, you were a bunch of wusses.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next