View previous topic | View next topic

Entertainment - Little Titch

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Paulmarkj
229500.  Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:53 am Reply with quote

I was surprised that none of the panalists had heard of Little Titch in the entertainment QI - so I thought I would add my own quite interesting fact about his name.

Tittch used to mean big:

25 stone Arthur Orton, ex-convict, used to tell stories his 14-year stint in Australian prisons. Arthur stole the name Harry Titchborne (which is why he ended up in prison), so, Titch became his nickname and a nickname used for all people who were large.

4 foot Harry Relph took the name Little Titch as a stage name, a kind of joke. Only after Little Titch became famous did Titch start to mean small.

Little Titch earnt 250 / week in 1905 - equivilent to 160,000 / week in totday's wages.

You can see a transcript of one of his monologues at
http://www.njedge.net/~knapp/Tich.htm

Flash
229668.  Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:21 am Reply with quote

The story of the Tichbourne Claimant was actually covered when we recorded that show, Paulmarkj, but didn't make the cut. Well spotted, though.

djgordy
229672.  Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:27 am Reply with quote

It was "Little Tich", not "Little Titch". At some point the word "tich" gained an extra "t".

The Simpsons episode "The Principal and the pauper" is based on the Tichbourne Claimant case.

Sebastian flyte
230168.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:54 am Reply with quote

I thought that little guy was rather funny, I dont attribute this to the fact I had had half a bottle of wine, things are only ever funnier due to wine after considerably more of the stuff.

markvent
230292.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quote

Charles Morritt "The Yorshire Conjurer" created a new illusion called "The Convicts Escape" which was the headline illusion in his 1893 show "Morritt's Afternnon Entertainment".

After some months the box office was flagging and so he employed Arthur Orton to play the part of the convict in the illusion.

It was wish fulfillment: All of London had been waiting for Orton to disappear, and many were happy to pay the price of a ticket to see it.

Mark.

CB27
230405.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote

I was also surprised that not even one or two of the panellists knew who Little Titch was, I've seen videos of him before and I was always sure that Chaplin copied his trick of dropping a hat on the floor and picking it up with his head.

I think my jaw would have dropped if Paul Merton was there and also said he didn't know who he was :)

BTW, was anyone else slightly disappointed at the way they ridiculed him as not funny without recognising how pioneering he was?

djgordy
230434.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm Reply with quote

The trouble is that comedy moves on. A lot of early 20th c comedians are known through silent film and don't seem funny to us now we rely so much on word-play for humour.

Also, different things are funny to different people. I went to see one of the Austin Powers films and sat stony faced whilst everyone else in the audience roared with laughter.

Flash
230458.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:49 pm Reply with quote

CB27, thanks for that supportive comment. I think the mistake we made was bigging him up too much - he could never really have lived up to the billing we gave him. It was my fault: I tentatively listed a question about Little Tich, and when Helen the video researcher found the film and then, apparently miraculously, Jon the picture researcher found his actual shoes on display in a pub, it all seemed too good to pass up. In reality it was probably never as promising a topic as I thought it was.

We live and learn.

petipetra
230466.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:09 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
CB27, thanks for that supportive comment. I think the mistake we made was bigging him up too much - he could never really have lived up to the billing we gave him. It was my fault: I tentatively listed a question about Little Tich, and when Helen the video researcher found the film and then, apparently miraculously, Jon the picture researcher found his actual shoes on display in a pub, it all seemed too good to pass up. In reality it was probably never as promising a topic as I thought it was.

At least Fry was as enthousiastic about it as you were, so that's something, at least.

MatC
230479.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:01 pm Reply with quote

I haven't seen that episode yet. I might give it a miss, from the sound of it ... I mean, Little Tich! They hadn't heard of Little Tich?

Have any of them heard of William the Conqueror, then? Or Charles Dickens? Or the Beatles, at all? Or London?

I mean, Little Tich! Bunch of ephemeral tossers.

samivel
230483.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:12 pm Reply with quote

You're just babbling, now.

;)

djgordy
230494.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
We live and learn.

..and then we die and forget it all.

m1ndy9876
230506.  Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Im off to find that book I believe amazon have it.

Davini994
230555.  Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:04 am Reply with quote

I thought he was very interesting Flash, and I'd never heard of him before.

I'd blame the panelists for for not being interested on that one.

MatC
230571.  Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:29 am Reply with quote

Blame them? You mean shoot them, surely?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next