View previous topic | View next topic

Easy-Peasy

Page 9 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

bumpkin
150644.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:21 am Reply with quote

Hi Tas,

Sadly it's heyday and so doesn't qualify (it would have to be heydey or hayday but isn't either of these).

:-)

Tas
150649.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

But it DOES rhyme. Sure it might not LOOK the same, but surely rhyming has to count?

Tas

Tas
150650.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:26 am Reply with quote

Well, let me add Sci-fi, then. Unless somebody has already pinched that one. (And Wi-fi, too!)

Tas

Tas
150651.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:27 am Reply with quote

And Pall Mall (Street nr. Buck House, London)

Tas

bumpkin
150673.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:31 am Reply with quote

Hi tas,

sci-fi and wi-fi are fine : I'll add them.

No place names or brand names please - sorry no to Pall Mall

Had to exclude rhymes where the spelling differed in each part
simply to keep the whole thing manageable -sorry. Have put heyday as a "near miss" in the last paragraph.

Sand
150680.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:45 am Reply with quote

Sheesh, I must be blind to have missed all of those and having looked again I still can't see them! You know what that means though <sly grin> I'm just going to list more and let you do the looking. You are obviously far better at it than I am. If you want to slap me then feel free but know this - your blasted thread kept me from falling asleep when I needed to this morning so even if some are on the list already then you still should see the extent of my suffering hehe. Oh yeah, I've no doubt forgot some since there was no way I was getting up and write them all down hehe. At least you have the option of ignoring these, unlike me, this morning ;)

grandstand (the act of as well as the spectator area)
handstand
bandstand
wild child
fire wire (or did I just make that up? It rings a bell as some technical term or maybe just a noun for something technical)
hodge podge
Tex-Mex (Texan/Mexican style food)
sin bin
fat cat
maedae (call for help variety or did I spell it wrongly?)
stun gun (though perhaps not)
snack attack
higeldy pigeldy
blame game
fine line
fly-by
crocodile smile (well, it more or less works)
peg leg
willy nilly
space race
walkie talkie
hot pot
donjon
barmy army (not popular but popular enough for me to have heard it used before)
plastic fantastic (something that's lauded as great but in reality is just cheap and cheerful, or maybe just crap)
dead head (like you do to roses, for example)
clap trap
rolly polly
bad lad
shady lady
posh nosh
chrome dome (what you might call a bald person)
helter skelter (one I would be suprised to find isn't on the list but I'm not going to check, remember :p)
back track
rag tag
slo-mo (abbrieviation of slow motion)
super duper
night light
flower power
pay day
power shower
grey day (non-US spelling aside, to make the rhyme spelling identical, I've heard this used to describe a depressing day, eg "How are you?" "I'm having a grey day")

I guess if heyday isn't allowed then these won't be either:
boob tube
plain Jane
sky high
freebie
care bear (in the popular video gaming sense (usually MMOGs), not the cartoon where it originated)
trolley dolly (an air stewardess, for example)
haircare
sweet meat or even sweet treat I've heard used, if sparingly

Or how about these, with a letter inserted but still rhyming:
dingaling
clansman
rope a dope (to conn someone gullable)

If "fight night" is allowed then so too should:
fright night
power hour (except maybe not because of the spelling difference)
house mouse
four door (except maybe not because of the spelling difference)
because they're all 'popular culture' style phrases used to label a style of TV/radio program, in kids stories/shows or to describe a type of vehicle, respectively.

bumpkin
150685.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:04 am Reply with quote

Hello Sand

What a star !

these five are fine - I'll add them

wild child
fly by
flower power
posh nosh
power shower

the others are there or don't qualify.

Now perleeeease - get some sleep, it's only a stoopid game.

:-) :-) :-)

samivel
150688.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quote

I think Sand's TexMex should be added, as I have heard it used for both cooking and musical styles (Cajun). And if we're allowing am-dram, we should allow slo-mo for slow motion replays.

bumpkin
150692.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:29 am Reply with quote

Hi Samivel

I'll add texmex and slo-mo

then it's my lunch break

Jeez - how did I get this full time job that pays less than the minimum wage?

Come on folks, you have to check the list first, I'm not going to keep going through large lists of suggestions - there is a life outside QI you know !
(Really there is).

costean
150723.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:10 am Reply with quote

People, in the top left hand corner there is 'Search Forums'. Just type the word (if it is hypenated then try this as well) in 'Search for Keywords' and bingo.

Tas
150741.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:35 am Reply with quote

No-Go (Area)
Fly-by
Tye-Dye (Spelling?)

Tas

bumpkin
150747.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote

To discover if a word is already in the list Costean says :

Quote:
People, in the top left hand corner there is 'Search Forums'. Just type the word (if it is hyphenated then try this as well) in 'Search for Keywords' and bingo.

Contributors, take note of Costean's advice please.

Hi Tas,

All three already included.

Sand
150756.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote

I found the answer to checking - copy into notepad and hit find, even if I have to do a partial word serach to avoid missing hyphens or two word spelling of one word on my part. Blame it on sleep deprivation that I didn't think of that before. When I get something in stuck my head it becomes very hard to shift, especially if I'm trying to sleep.

Anyway, these I will have to question:

Maybe "bad lad" should have a chance? A youth who falls on the wrong side of the law. For example, the TV show which I believe was called "Bad Lad's Army" so it has been used as an 'official' description even if more usually the term is "bad sort" "bad egg" or perhaps "black sheep". I have heard it in everyday use though, usually referring to a type, eg "One of those bad lads"

"Chrome dome" is certainly a phrase used to describe a bald guy in all sorts of popular media.

For my earlier attempt, "bum chum" may not be a pleasant phrase but it is a used one.

"Chop shop" is something I've heard used to refer to a place where they 'chop' cars, usually stolen ones I believe. Could be an Americanism though, if that matters.

bumpkin
150761.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quote

Hello Sand,

bad lad is fine - I'll add it.

I would need to be convinced about the prevalence of usage re chrome dome and chop shop.

Your other example is simply beyond the pale.

Tas
150804.  Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:53 am Reply with quote

Chrome Dome: An often used derogatory term for Professor Charles Xavier in The Uncanny X-men comics of the sixties and seventies.

I can vouch for that, and will look for proof when I get home.

Tas

Page 9 of 11
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next