View previous topic | View next topic

Republic of Ireland

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Was this subject matter interesting enough?
Yes, definitely
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
No, not at all
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nice, but we knew that already
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

AlmondFacialBar
197119.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:25 am Reply with quote

whoops, sorry, four! still, you've gotta give them that even four is an impressive achievement for such a small country. techncially one per million people. germany's got eight, and there's eighty million of us... anyway, the point still stands, you can't on the one hand - as all self-respecting irish people do - boast about that and then on the other hands say dublin as bound to turn out more literary genii than cork because it's bigger...

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

suze
197215.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote

I make it at least five - or are you discounting Seán MacBride on the grounds of his being French?

The "easy" three are W B Yeats (Literature, 1923), G B Shaw (Literature, 1925) and Samuel Beckett (Literature, 1969) - much as Shaw and Beckett were living outside Ireland at the time they won their prizes.

But we can add Ernest Walton (Physics, 1951) and Seán MacBride (Peace, 1974) to get to five. MacBride was born in France of Irish parents - his mother was of course Maud Gonne, who had previously been W B Yeats's girlfriend.

Beyond that it gets more difficult, and I've no intention of stirring up Irish politics. But John Hume (Peace, 1998) is an Irish national (as all persons born in Northern Ireland before 1 Jan 2005 are entitled to be if they so choose). I'm not sure whether Seamus Heaney (Literature, 1995) is or not, but he lives in Dublin.

AlmondFacialBar
197221.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 am Reply with quote

i was only counting literature... :-) seamus heaney is, btw, an irish citizen by virtue of the good friday agreement - like john hume. if he was before 1998 i don't know, but but as a catholic nationalist he claims himself for the republic ireland anyway and the republic claims him.

AlmondFacialBar

legspin
197224.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:04 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
I make it at least five - or are you discounting Seán MacBride on the grounds of his being French?

The "easy" three are W B Yeats (Literature, 1923), G B Shaw (Literature, 1925) and Samuel Beckett (Literature, 1969) - much as Shaw and Beckett were living outside Ireland at the time they won their prizes.

But we can add Ernest Walton (Physics, 1951) and Seán MacBride (Peace, 1974) to get to five. MacBride was born in France of Irish parents - his mother was of course Maud Gonne, who had previously been W B Yeats's girlfriend.

Beyond that it gets more difficult, and I've no intention of stirring up Irish politics. But John Hume (Peace, 1998) is an Irish national (as all persons born in Northern Ireland before 1 Jan 2005 are entitled to be if they so choose). I'm not sure whether Seamus Heaney (Literature, 1995) is or not, but he lives in Dublin.

The 'Norn Iron' peace campaigners Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan (Peace 1976) should probably be included here somewhere too.

samivel
197230.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote

Well, I understood AFB to be saying that there were 5 winners of the Nobel literature prize who were born in Dublin, so that's why I questioned it.

And Seamus Heaney is an Irish national, BTW. He once got rather miffed at having some of his poems included in an anthology of modern British verse, and wrote in reply:

Quote:
"Be advised!
My passport's green.
No glass of ours was ever raised
To toast The Queen"

legspin
197231.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:11 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
i was only counting literature... :-) seamus heaney is, btw, an irish citizen by virtue of the good friday agreement - like john hume. if he was before 1998 i don't know, but but as a catholic nationalist he claims himself for the republic ireland anyway and the republic claims him.

AlmondFacialBar

No not quite. Long before the GFA anyone from the north could count themselves as Irish and hold a passport from here if they wanted. Brian Keenan (hostage in Lebanon for what seemed like an eternity) was from Belfast, but held an Irish passport.
As did Spike Milligan but that was because of the bureaucracy by the British passport office.

AlmondFacialBar
197233.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:15 am Reply with quote

nope, i meant irish, not from dublin. sorry, should have made myself clearer. i guess my line of argument was somnewhat hard to follow... ;-)

thanks for the info, legspin! :-) bit of a granny rule applying there, isn't it? you gotta love spike for embracing his willy-nilly irishness. what did he say when addressed as the "funniest englishman ever" by a fan?

"i'm fucking irish!"

YAY! :-D

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
197236.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:23 am Reply with quote

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
nope, i meant irish, not from dublin. sorry, should have made myself clearer. i guess my line of argument was somnewhat hard to follow... ;-)

Ah, right. There should be five, IMO - I reckon Sean O'Casey should have won the Nobel Prize too.

AlmondFacialBar wrote:
you gotta love spike for embracing his willy-nilly irishness. what did he say when addressed as the "funniest englishman ever" by a fan?

"i'm fucking irish!"

YAY! :-D

AlmondFacialBar

Well, I wouldn't be too pleased to be called an Englishman if, after spending six years fighting for them, I was then denied citizenship.

AlmondFacialBar
197237.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:25 am Reply with quote

well, imho james joyce deserved it much more than shaw, too. nobel prizes are as bound by the taste of the time as anything else, and joyce was just too far ahead of the 1920s.

samivel - absolutely! though he didn't really do much fighting. a lot of the time he was out of commission with depressive episodes.

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
197242.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:31 am Reply with quote

Fair point, but it's still a bit of a pisser.

AlmondFacialBar
197243.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote

absolutely! not to mention that one of the reasons he was refused citizenship was that he was born to irish parents in india. the reason for that was of course that his parents were serving the british empire there. it does stink from start to finish...

AlmondFacialBar

suze
197244.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:34 am Reply with quote

legspin wrote:
The 'Norn Iron' peace campaigners Betty Williams and Mairead Corrigan (Peace 1976) should probably be included here somewhere too.

Yes indeed. The only Nobel Laureate from the island of Ireland not so far mentioned is David Trimble (Peace, 1998). While I'd stake large sums of money on Ian Paisley not having taken up the option of an Irish passport, Trimble just might have done so as a gesture. Anyone know?

AlmondFacialBar
197247.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:37 am Reply with quote

trimble shared with john hume, so he was sort of implicitely mentioned there. interesting about the passport, would indeed be cool to know.

AlmondFacialBar

legspin
197257.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:09 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
legspin wrote:

Yes indeed. The only Nobel Laureate from the island of Ireland not so far mentioned is David Trimble (Peace, 1998). While I'd stake large sums of money on Ian Paisley not having taken up the option of an Irish passport, Trimble just might have done so as a gesture. Anyone know?

As he is a member of the Orange Order I seriously doubt it.

suze
197315.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:50 am Reply with quote

I rather doubt it too, but I don't utterly rule it out for the reason stated.

Is Lord Trimble in fact still a member in any case - I recall there being talk of his resigning or being expelled when he had an audience with the Pope.

Page 3 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next