View previous topic | View next topic

Republic of Ireland

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Was this subject matter interesting enough?
Yes, definitely
87%
 87%  [ 7 ]
No, not at all
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Nice, but we knew that already
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

strukkanurv
153768.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:44 am Reply with quote

I forget.
I'll check & get back to you.

legspin
153778.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quote

The further west you go the worse the roads get. The main roads are fine and getting better but if you stray off them on to the real backroads you could be in trouble. They may not be in the worst of nick, but unless you are a fan of rally driving they can be very hard work.

Cóbh (pronounced Cove) is quite nice if a little run down. The loss of the major trans-atlantic passenger ships was hard to get over, but in the last few years there has been a concerted effort by some to associate the town with the Titanic, as 'twas Cobh that was it's last port of call. There is a fair bit of industry in that part of the world, mainly pharmaceutical companies, It is also not far from Ireland's only safari park.
Cork styles itself the true capital of Ireland (massive second city inferiority complex). For more info check out
[url]peoplesrepublicofcork.com[/url]

However, in reality the only truly decent thing in Cork is the road to Kerry (God's own true Kingdom). Head further west young man.

Mulvil
153783.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

Or to really annoy Cork people you can tell them that Liverpool is the second capital of Ireland (a little nick-name given to it due to it being the closest English port when Irish people were going over there for work)

strukkanurv
153792.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:28 am Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Teaspoon
163156.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:59 am Reply with quote

legspin wrote:
The further west you go the worse the roads get. The main roads are fine and getting better but if you stray off them on to the real backroads you could be in trouble. They may not be in the worst of nick, but unless you are a fan of rally driving they can be very hard work.

I don't think it's fair to say the further west you go the worse the roads get. I've driven plenty of roads in the East and in spite of their proximity to the auld pale they're just as shit as any rural back road.

legspin
163169.  Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:06 am Reply with quote

Teaspoon wrote:
legspin wrote:

I don't think it's fair to say the further west you go the worse the roads get. I've driven plenty of roads in the East and in spite of their proximity to the auld pale they're just as shit as any rural back road.

The main difference I find is the roads out west are a bit narrower and twistier than a similar road in the east. The would also be more likely to be overgrown to some extent. That is not to say there aren't roads in east like that, they are just more prevalent in the west.

Library Mouse
196983.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote

Just to set things straight, Cork does NOT have a second city inferiority complex!!!!

We don't need to. We are the best city in the country :p

In all seriousness, I am a Cork woman, (as you may have been able to tell), and I admit that it has its faults, but it is a beautiful city with a very rich and interesting history. UCC is especially a nice place :)

In the spirit of keeping things Quite Interesting, I will relate a Quite Interesting (and quite funny, in my opinion) fact about Cork.

There is a district in Cork (near Blarney Street for those who know the place) which is called Pokertown, for a Quite Interesting reason. I have this from the Horse's Mouth. My grandad used to have a milk round up there about seventy years ago.

Anyhoo, it's called Pokertown, because generally the husbands of the district would go to the pub after work and come home absolutely sloshed, causing their wives to chase them outside with pokers in their hands :)

My grandad used to see the husbands sleeping under the hedges when he came round on his milk round at circa four o' clock in the morning.

Rudolph Hucker
196991.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:27 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Of course he won.... he is the all knowing, all complaining (but little doing himself) BONO

Make Bono history.

Make Geldof history.

Make all self absorbed, self publicising pricks history.

legspin
197002.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote

Library Mouse wrote:
Just to set things straight, Cork does NOT have a second city inferiority complex!!!!

Of course I should have said a massive second city superiority complex. Ye are under the delusion that ye are as good as the rest of us.

<runs away to hide>

Library Mouse
197012.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:27 pm Reply with quote

And well should you run!
*sticks out tongue at legspin*

*mumbles* Mean person, saying nasty things about Cork. I don't say nasty things about Kerry, even though I COULD. God knows there are enough Kerryman jokes out there.

But I'm a nice person! See! See! 'Cause I'm from CORK!

*is satisfied that she has won*

AlmondFacialBar
197039.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quote

interesting, though, isn't it, that our proud cork lady here should feature a born, bred, butthered and dyed in the wool dub in her sig. no wise corkmen to supply sig quotes out there? but then " dancing in the disco, bumper to bumper, wait a minute, where's me jumper" WOULD look a bit demented in a sig... :-P

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total

samivel
197040.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quote

I reckon it'd be cool. Shame I can never be bothered with to use one.

Library Mouse
197046.  Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:52 pm Reply with quote

*attempts to come up with a reply to Almond's remarks*

I just like Wilde, all right!?!?!

Asides, there are good Cork writers. :)

e.g. Frank O' Connor, Liam O' Faolain.

And James Joyce's father was born in Cork :)

Anyway, statistically speaking, Dublin is bound to turn out more famous people, just from the sheer magnitude of the population :p

AlmondFacialBar
197111.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:11 am Reply with quote

THAT excuse from an - cork or not - IRISH person? the five nobel laureates (lit) to a population of four million nation? naaaaaawwww... either or. :-P

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

samivel
197112.  Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote

Five Nobel laureates?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next