View previous topic | View next topic

Major Languages

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

monzac
730805.  Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:02 am Reply with quote

Frederico, you cannot speak too much rubbish on this forum, especially when it's funny rubbish, like yours :)

Jenny
730881.  Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote

I had a short trip to Oporto many years ago now, and thought Portugese sounded like a very musical language.

I have a CD by Astrud Gilberto, who sings some of her songs in Portugese. One of them is Aqua de beber.

You can find more by her in Portugese here and here.

Frederico Rogeiro
731281.  Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote

Jenny,

Ours is musical, but I think brazilian is more.
But, even being a small country, we have many different accents here. I guess that's due we're an old country, and people lived very closed in their regions for centurys.

Jenny
731376.  Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote

Frederico Rogeiro wrote:
I guess that's due we're an old country, and people lived very closed in their regions for centurys.

My trip to Oporto was in August 1972, when I was 22 and it was the height of miniskirt fashion in the UK. I had a very short dress with me, and wore it to walk out in the streets the day we arrived. I literally stopped the traffic (the only time in my life I can ever claim to have done this) and my mother had to walk with her hand behind my bottom to prevent it being pinched. Old ladies dressed in long black skirts in the market hissed and spat at me. I had to go back to the hotel and put a pair of jeans on. I learned a lesson that day not to assume that what was OK in the UK was OK anywhere!

Zebra57
731625.  Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:17 pm Reply with quote

Fred what is QI are the Portuguese words which have been adopted as part of the English language.

It includes Zebra! Included is a list (not necessarily definitive) from Wiki

post http://

Posital
731633.  Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:34 pm Reply with quote

Frederico Rogeiro wrote:
Ours is musical, but I think brazilian is more.
Brasilian portugues gets my top vote... even if half the songs are about football...

"The girl from Ipanema" - is an example one might be familiar with.

PS: Didn't realise the Gilberto Gil was the minister for culture for five years!! He's a brilliant performer...

Frederico Rogeiro
731712.  Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote

That's interesting, Jenny.
I think southern european countries stayed behind in history by remaining roman catholic after the Reformation. That made us more conservative than you.
In Portugal that got even worse, because our long ditatorial regime, headed by Salazar (1928-68) and Caetano (68-74), had a strong religious foundation, very convenient to mantain people ignorant and humble.
Also due to historical factors, the North of Portugal is more conservative than the South. That, I think, is mostly because the North has an earlier ocupation and stronger community bonds. This, as we know, implies the "moral" community (as Durkheim would say).

suze
731767.  Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote

Posital wrote:
"The girl from Ipanema" - is an example one might be familiar with.

The "classic" English language version of The Girl from Ipanema is the 1964 version conventionally credited to João Gilberto - even though he doesn't actually appear on it. On that version, the vocalist is Astrud Gilberto (who had been married to João, although they had separated by this time) and the sax player is Stan Getz (who had by then replaced João in Astrud's bed).

AlmondFacialBar
748866.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:49 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
The language in which one dreams is sometimes claimed as the arbiter for bi- or multilingual people, while for women it's often said to be the language in which one curses when giving birth.

No it's not, it's the language you count in. I dream bilingually, quite unrelated to which country I'm actually in. I can't judge the one about giving birth. I, however, count in German, just like every other ex-pat I've ever met in this country count in their respective first languages. Have a listen the next time you're in a supermarket and a foreigner counts out your change for you. ;-)

And as for native languages - isn't that a political thing, too? A lot of Irish people will tell you that while their first language is English, their native language is Irish. Same goes for me and Low German...

(nothing quite like quoting a three year old post, teehee...)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

Last edited by AlmondFacialBar on Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
748982.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Welcome back AFB :-)

AlmondFacialBar
748983.  Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote

Thanks! :-) Not giving any warranties how long I'll last this time round, though... ;-)

:-)

AlmondFacialBar

walterpoupaert
802748.  Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:46 pm Reply with quote

About major languages :

People seems to ignore that Indonesian became the most spoken language in the world after English, Mandarin, Hindu and Spanish.

Indeed this language is the official one in the Republic of Indonesia and now used by everybody as lingua franca. This makes 240 million people.

In addition, the language of Malaysia is almost the same. I am able to understand them and they me.

Over more, this language is very beautiful : it sounds like Italian. And easy to learn !

vampfan
851721.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:09 am Reply with quote

Hans Mof wrote:
Don't even get me started on Scandinavian languages...

In sweden there are no offical language, but most speak swedish
In Norway the offical languages is Kven, Sami and norwegian with two written norwegian, new norwegian (nynorsk) and the most used: book norwegian (bokmål). There are also sign language and braille.
In denmark the offical language is danish.

There are no other skandinavian countries, Iceland and Finland is part of the nordic countries, but not skandinavia

suze
851752.  Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:28 am Reply with quote

Good point about Sweden. Swedish is not the official language of Sweden because the country doesn't have one - the Constitution is silent on the matter. Riksdagen did try to pass a law in 2005 which would have declared Swedish the official language, but it failed narrowly because a couple of MPs broke prearranged pairing.

Norway is an interesting case. It's implicit in the constitution - but not stated in so many words - that the official language is Norwegian. As noted, there are two "standard" versions of Norwegian, and every municipality is free to decide whether its written output will be in Bokmål or Nynorsk. About 85% of the country uses Bokmål. As an oddity, the definitive version of the Norwegian constitution is in Danish, and Norwegian law is written in Danish.

The Sámi languages together with Kven (i.e. Finnish by any other name) have a lesser official status.

Munin
868906.  Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Good point about Sweden. Swedish is not the official language of Sweden because the country doesn't have one - the Constitution is silent on the matter. Riksdagen did try to pass a law in 2005 which would have declared Swedish the official language, but it failed narrowly because a couple of MPs broke prearranged pairing.

While it is true that our constitution doesn't cover official languages it is covered by other laws. In 2000 five minority languages (those were Finnish, Meänkieli, Saami, Yiddish and Romani chib) rose to the status of "official minority languages" and thus became roughly equal in status to the Swedish Sign language, which already in 1981 was officially recognized as the first language of Sweden's deaf population.

Then finally in 2009 the Riksdag passed a law declaring Swedish the "huvudspråk" (roughly translated as "main language" or "primary language") of Sweden. So while it is true that the exact word "official" ("officiell" in Swedish) wasn't used, Swedish has in fact officially been recognized as the main language of Sweden, albeit quite recently.

Page 9 of 10
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next