View previous topic | View next topic

Ear Wax

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

bobwilson
429731.  Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:23 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
because to do so would mean recognizing the jurisdiction of a US court over the (Hopi) Nation's affairs.

The Hopi have just risen inestimably in my esteem - although they could always submit it to an international tribunal.

But anyway ......

Lizzie Borden took an ax
Gave her mother forty wax
When she saw what she had done
Gave her father forty-one

That was, of course, the original words to that ditty (an ax being a slang term for $5, and wax being the standard term for candles). This pleasant tale of the efforts of an impoverished young lady to provide a suitable gift for her parents was later corrupted and led to the mistaken belief that Ms Borden had murdered her parents. Indeed, so widespread is this belief that even Wikipedia continues to peddle the mythology that Ms Borden was suspected of the murder of her parents.

Sad - but true.

oz diva
524351.  Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:43 am Reply with quote

The Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd was caught plunging his finger down his ear, scrounging around, bringing up a glob of ear wax and then eating it. Bleurgh.

CB27
524367.  Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:26 am Reply with quote

Is this the credit crunch at work? I thought most politicians used vaseline to make their teeth shine :)

bemahan
524399.  Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote

oz diva wrote:
The Australian Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd was caught plunging his finger down his ear, scrounging around, bringing up a glob of ear wax and then eating it. Bleurgh.

Is that whom Les Patterson, Australia's cultural attaché to Britain, models himself on? Or is it the other way round?

James Random
525834.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:53 pm Reply with quote

Here's a more off the wall use for ear wax....

Ear Wax as a Polish?

bemahan
525852.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote

Ear wax as a Polish what?

James Random
525875.  Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:17 pm Reply with quote

I think the gentleman described in the article became known for polishing brass with it.

QiScorpion
563453.  Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:23 pm Reply with quote

my earwax is usuallly the wet variety, but has recently started solidifying into lumps that sometimes get shaken around, leading me to believe there's a bug in my ear but it's earwax. bleurgh.

i also have a blocked right ear. the blockage is not in the ear itself, but may be a Eustachian tube thing. it's very annoying.

streetrw
563546.  Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:47 am Reply with quote

I get buildups of wax periodically, and have to have my ears syringed every couple of years. It's a lovely feeling having the warm water slooshing in and out, and the sudden improvement in hearing is astonishing.

bemahan
563547.  Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:49 am Reply with quote

I absolutely hated having my ears syringed. It made me make the strangest faces - involuntarily - and my kids, who I'd had to drag along too) thought it was hilarious.

Moosh
563596.  Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:00 am Reply with quote

streetrw wrote:
I get buildups of wax periodically, and have to have my ears syringed every couple of years. It's a lovely feeling having the warm water slooshing in and out, and the sudden improvement in hearing is astonishing.

When it's every couple of months rather than years it gets less fun.

Starfish13
563660.  Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:53 am Reply with quote

I can equalise the pressure in my ears naturally when underwater when diving. Except for one time, my ear really hurt afterwards, so I went to get my ear syringed and they removed the most massive chunk of wax that I've ever seen in my life. Like a kidney bean. I don't know why i wasn't deaf.

merope
662442.  Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:29 am Reply with quote

My mother and grandmother advice when I got sore on the upper or
down lips ,in very early stage to treat it with my own ear wax as often as possible .The result is amaizing - the sore burns and disappear for 24 hours -no trace ,no scars.Sure don't try this if you sore is advanced ,say more than 12 hour old.There is something like antibiotic in the ear wax probably,I need to research more.

Ion Zone
806781.  Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:13 am Reply with quote

Quote:
In this technique, a candle is placed in the ear canal. The wick is lighted and the candle is allowed to burn for a short period of time. Supposedly, the burning flame creates a vacuum at the other end of the candle

I'm not quite sure, but I get the feeling that everyone thinks they put a normal candle in in your ear. This is Ear Candleing. According to a friend of mine (who tried it) it is very effective at pulling wax from the ears, though the studies so far claim the reverse is true.

Quote:
It is claimed that the flame creates negative pressure, drawing wax and debris out of the ear canal,

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2