View previous topic | View next topic

Ear Wax

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Sand
138471.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quote

A search on here found nothing so I guess I'll start a new E topic. Then again, I'm not having complete success with searches today so it wouldn't suprise me to find it's been done already.

I'll start by pointing to the basics many of us are probably aware of.

Ear Wax- Medical Info

Quote:
Wax in the ears is a common and easily treatable cause of deafness, discomfort, and sometimes noises in your ears (tinnitus).

-------------------------------

I like the following example of silly things to put in your ears, presumably in an attempt to avoid a simple syringe.

Ear Candling Q&A

The site has this to say on the seemingly pointless practice, just to let you all know what it's supposed to do, at a glance:

Quote:
In this technique, a candle is placed in the ear canal. The wick is lighted and the candle is allowed to burn for a short period of time. Supposedly, the burning flame creates a vacuum at the other end of the candle, which can suck wax and other evil humors from the canal. When the candle is removed, the base of candle typically will appear dark brown, leading the person to believe that their ear wax has been removed by candling

The next snippet I'm including because I found it quite interesting that the process isn't so simple as picking an ear piece out of a box but I'm sure everyone working on QI is aware of it already. Wouldn't have known if I hadn't happened across the Newsround blog while I was searching:

Ear Waxing

Quote:
An earpiece is like a hearing aid, which fits into your ear, so that we can hear what our producers and directors are saying to us...
Getting new ones made is quite strange - the man squirts warm wax into your ears, which then sets, so they can make a cast from it.

This following is perhaps less well known research.

Wet or Dry?

Quote:
Do you have dry, flaky earwax or the gooey, stinky type? The answer is partly in your heritage.

A new study reveals that the gene responsible for the drier type originated in an ancient northeastern Asian population.

Today, 80 to 95 percent of East Asians have dry earwax, whereas the wet variety is abundant in people of African and European ancestry (97 to 100 percent).

Populations in Southern Asia, the Pacific Islands, Central Asia, Asia Minor, and Native North Americans and Inuit of Asian ancestry, fall in the middle with dry wax frequencies ranging from 30 to 50 percent.

This last one I need some help with, if anyone is interested, because I can't find an online reference. It's what made me sit up and pay attention to ear wax - a TV programme called "What's That About?" on the Discovery Science channel last night explored the art of seduction. Included was an article on a museum of contraception in Canada (Toronto, I think) and one of the forms of contraception, briefly mentioned, was ear wax from a mule. The idea being that mules are sterile so by some form of warped logic it followed that it'd work as a contraceptive. I've no more info on why ear wax was the bodily part of the mule chosen, how exactly it was used or by whom.

I did find a few bits and pieces, including this article from the Toronto Observer. I guess I'm just having a bad search day because I couldn't find anything about this obviously obscure bit of knowledge on the web.

Gaazy
138508.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:14 am Reply with quote

Qily, none of these links mentions the medical name for earwax - cerumen.

djgordy
138528.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:31 am Reply with quote

In "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone", Chapter 17, Dumbledore eats one of Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans, thinking that it is a nice toffee one, only to discover that it is earwax flavour.

Sand
138606.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:51 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
Qily, none of these links mentions the medical name for earwax - cerumen.

Doh! I had several medically orientated links to choose from but only one was required. Seems I picked one that didn't mention that the medical term was cerumen. Well folks, that's my demonstration of how to get lost in several different points about the same subject over with ;)

heieup
142041.  Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:13 am Reply with quote

Is there any reason why the ear wax out of one ear is a different colour and texture than the other ear ? It is with me anyway !

pleasantlydifferent
142765.  Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:23 pm Reply with quote

i think i read somewhere that there are two types of earwax..
oh here it is.. quote frm wikipedia:
Quote:

Two distinct genetically determined types of earwax are distinguished -- the wet type, which is dominant; and the dry type, which is recessive. Asians and Native Americans are more likely to have the dry type of cerumen (grey and flaky), whereas Caucasians and Africans are more likely to have the wet type (honey-brown to dark-brown and moist).[3] Cerumen type has been used by anthropologists to track human migratory patterns, such as those of the Inuit.[4]

having one type in each ear is wierd...but i think wierdness just makes you more interesting lol
lotsa love
pleasantlydifferent

Frances
143138.  Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:58 am Reply with quote

Jimmy enters a massage parlour. 'How much does a massage cost?'
'Well, sir, a standard massage is 20. The Super costs 50. And the Wax Treatment costs 500.'
'500? for a massage?'
'We've never had a complaint, sir, I assure you.'
Jimmy hesitates. 'I'll try the 20 one today, thank you.'
He is ushered into a pleasant room with a white treatment table in the centre, where a pretty girl in a knee-length blue smock telle him to undress and nip up onto the table, and gives him a very pleasant, efficient massage. He leaves, feeling invigorated, but curious...
Next week, Jimmy returns. 'I'll try the Super this time, please.'
He is ushered into a very pleasant room with a big red treatment table in the centre, where a pretty girl in a mini pink smock helps him to undress and lie on the table, where she gives him an exceptionally pleasant and sexy massage. He leaves, feeling invigorated, but curious...
Next week, Jimmy returns. 'I'll go for the Wax Treatment!'
'Are you quite certain, sir? It really is something totally different. A once-in-a-lifetime experience. In fact, we recommend that only people in the best of health try it. Are you confident enough?'
Naturally, he is, and pays his 500. He is ushered into a sumptuous room with a huge black treatment table in the centre. A gorgeous girl in a long black slinky silk gown comes in. 'Are you ready for the Wax Treatment, sir?' she asks. Jimmy nods, with a gulp. 'You're sure? You're quite sure? Very well, sir.'
She smiles beguilingly, and smoothly, lingeringly slips his clothes off him. 'No, sir, don't lie down just yet!' She lifts his penis and testicles to rest on the table in front of him and smiles. From a drawer in the table she whips out a hammer, and wallops his wedding tackle so hard that the wax flies out of his ears.

chansen
158554.  Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
An earpiece is like a hearing aid, which fits into your ear, so that we can hear what our producers and directors are saying to us...
Getting new ones made is quite strange - the man squirts warm wax into your ears, which then sets, so they can make a cast from it.

Why would they use warm wax when they can use the same stuff used to make hearing aid moulds which is safer and probably easier? If the wax was too soft it'd lose it's shape on withdrawal and if it were too brittle wouldn't it break up? Also if the wax were accidentally overheated...well, it's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

I wear aids and regularly get new moulds made. The audiologist put a little sponge (attached to a string) deep into the canal to protect the ear drum. Then they mix a white putty with a blue cream and knead it for a few minutes until the colour is uniform (this also has the effect of making the mixture warm). The mixture is then rolled up and inserted into a syringe and then injected into the ear, completely covering it. A few minutes pass and once the impression has set to rubber it's removed along with the sponge. Curiously, it smells like oranges!

jblackley
163722.  Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote

"one of the forms of contraception, briefly mentioned, was ear wax from a mule."

Sand, the earliest reference I can find is of Soranos of Ephesos who lived in Rome at the end of the first century AD. (Here: http://www.ishm2006.hu/scientific/abstract.php?ID=262)

Soranos "rejected the use of amulets" such as a piece of mule uterus or mule earwax but did recommend that, to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, a woman should "exercise more, take demanding walks, jump high, carry heavy loads, drink diuretic teas to provoke menstruation.... or have a bath in warm water, stay in the bath for long, drink wine and have spicy food".

Sounds as if it would be easier to simply have the child.

great
227565.  Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote

heieup wrote:
Is there any reason why the ear wax out of one ear is a different colour and texture than the other ear ? It is with me anyway !

Are you sure they are different colour and texture? It's a strange thing if that's true...I would love to know the answer too.

salak
228427.  Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

heieup wrote:
Quote:

There's a good chance you have a mild ear infection in one ear. Get it checked.

gobshite
237292.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote

Light golden,flaky and very tatsy !!!

Prof Wind Up Merchant
237382.  Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:15 pm Reply with quote

Sand wrote:
A search on here found nothing so I guess I'll start a new E topic. Then again, I'm not having complete success with searches today so it wouldn't suprise me to find it's been done already.

I'll start by pointing to the basics many of us are probably aware of.

Ear Wax- Medical Info

Quote:
Wax in the ears is a common and easily treatable cause of deafness, discomfort, and sometimes noises in your ears (tinnitus).

I like the following example of silly things to put in your ears, presumably in an attempt to avoid a simple syringe.

Ear Candling Q&A

The site has this to say on the seemingly pointless practice, just to let you all know what it's supposed to do, at a glance:

Quote:
In this technique, a candle is placed in the ear canal. The wick is lighted and the candle is allowed to burn for a short period of time. Supposedly, the burning flame creates a vacuum at the other end of the candle, which can suck wax and other evil humors from the canal. When the candle is removed, the base of candle typically will appear dark brown, leading the person to believe that their ear wax has been removed by candling

The next snippet I'm including because I found it quite interesting that the process isn't so simple as picking an ear piece out of a box but I'm sure everyone working on QI is aware of it already. Wouldn't have known if I hadn't happened across the Newsround blog while I was searching:

Ear Waxing

Quote:

This following is perhaps less well known research.

Wet or Dry?

Quote:
Do you have dry, flaky earwax or the gooey, stinky type? The answer is partly in your heritage.

A new study reveals that the gene responsible for the drier type originated in an ancient northeastern Asian population.

Today, 80 to 95 percent of East Asians have dry earwax, whereas the wet variety is abundant in people of African and European ancestry (97 to 100 percent).

Populations in Southern Asia, the Pacific Islands, Central Asia, Asia Minor, and Native North Americans and Inuit of Asian ancestry, fall in the middle with dry wax frequencies ranging from 30 to 50 percent.

This last one I need some help with, if anyone is interested, because I can't find an online reference. It's what made me sit up and pay attention to ear wax - a TV programme called "What's That About?" on the Discovery Science channel last night explored the art of seduction. Included was an article on a museum of contraception in Canada (Toronto, I think) and one of the forms of contraception, briefly mentioned, was ear wax from a mule. The idea being that mules are sterile so by some form of warped logic it followed that it'd work as a contraceptive. I've no more info on why ear wax was the bodily part of the mule chosen, how exactly it was used or by whom.

I did find a few bits and pieces, including this article from the Toronto Observer. I guess I'm just having a bad search day because I couldn't find anything about this obviously obscure bit of knowledge on the web.

This is horrid. Candles in ears, burn your ear drum and it is instant deafness.

glynicus
429717.  Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:31 pm Reply with quote

I recently got water trapped behind the ear wax in my ear (obviously) and it made me feel really disoriented. I googled it and found lots of silly answers such as hop up and down on one leg, bounce on the bed, walk with your head tilted to one side and pour olive oil into your ear (all of which I tried, but didn't work).

Finally, and desperately, I went and got some otex, banged my head on a pillow and yippee, it dribbled out like dirty golden drainwater!

suze
429722.  Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote

On ear candling, I'm pleased to note that the word "Hopi" wasn't used in conjunction with it.

The Hopi Nation is quite certain that it does not and has never practised ear candling. What's more, it has asked those manufacturers who use the term "Hopi Ear Candling" to stop it on a number of occasions - although it has never taken the matter to court, because to do so would mean recognizing the jurisdiction of a US court over the Nation's affairs.

It's a daft practice though, however one looks at it, and it is illegal in Canada. Would that the EU and the USA were so sensible!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next