View previous topic | View next topic

Miss England and Miss England II

Page 1 of 1

Burrell
134309.  Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote

When most people think of “Miss England” they think of a beauty contest winner. However there was another Miss England and the tragic story of this powerboat is, I feel, quite interesting.

http://www.sigmapress.co.uk/desmo806.html

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/speedmachines/speedboats.html

The fact that the boat used tow Rolls Royce R series Racing Engines, one even designed to spin in the opposite direction to normal to make sure the boat did not spin under power, shows that this was not just another boat.

indigo fugit
134370.  Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Burrell wrote:
When most people think of “Miss England” they think of a beauty contest winner. However there was another Miss England and the tragic story of this powerboat is, I feel, quite interesting.

http://www.sigmapress.co.uk/desmo806.html

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/speedmachines/speedboats.html

The fact that the boat used tow Rolls Royce R series Racing Engines, one even designed to spin in the opposite direction to normal to make sure the boat did not spin under power, shows that this was not just another boat.

For every action etc.etc.

Surely, the torque of the engine would have spun the boat in the opposite direction to its rotation whichever way it rotated. What would be required would be two counter rotating engines each of which would nullify the other.

I recall the problem we had when we first attempted to take off and land propeller craft on aircraft carriers, This was solved by devising counter rotating props.

Burrell
134458.  Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. That is what they did however it seems as though I was not clear in my opening post.

The boat used two (not tow as typed) engines, one spinning clockwise, the other anticlockwise, thus preventing the torgue from spinning the boat as opposed to turning the prop. It was the fact that they made the engine turn in the opposite direction to save weight that was interesting to me.

indigo fugit
134585.  Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Burrell wrote:
Thank you for the reply. That is what they did however it seems as though I was not clear in my opening post.

The boat used two (not tow as typed) engines, one spinning clockwise, the other anticlockwise, thus preventing the torgue from spinning the boat as opposed to turning the prop. It was the fact that they made the engine turn in the opposite direction to save weight that was interesting to me.

Sorry.
I did not read it properly or I would have realized something did not gel.

I have added a link which may be of interest to you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/indigo_fugit/130075317/

I sat in it but they wouldn't let me drive

Burrell
134915.  Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote

I wish I had the money to buy / drive one of them.

indigo fugit
135029.  Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:03 pm Reply with quote

They drove it round Brooklands ---(not the banked track) --- at quite a high speed . The noise reminded me of a Rolls Royce Merlin as in the Spit. . I only found out recently that they were geared down 2 to 1 as the prop was less efficient at high revs.

I’ll give you a go in my car if you do the same with your boat.

Burrell
135363.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 5:28 pm Reply with quote

If I owned her I would take you up on that.

It seems as though all that is left of her is now in Basildon in Essex at the National Motor Boat Museum (Miss England II was a rebuild of I after her fatal crash).

I am trying to think what engine they had in the Railton Special (not sure if it was an R series (which went on to become the Merlin) or if it was a W4 Napier Lion Aero Engine.

Give me a few days and I will have a read up.

soup
135394.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:02 pm Reply with quote

indigo fugit wrote:
T I only found out recently that they were geared down 2 to 1 as the prop was less efficient at high revs.

Don't "they" use surface peircing props now so they can use direct drive and not have the weight/unreliability of a gear box?

soup
135397.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:08 pm Reply with quote

Burrell wrote:

I am trying to think what engine they had in the Railton Special (not sure if it was an R series (which went on to become the Merlin) or if it was a W4 Napier Lion Aero Engine.

It wasn't powered bya W4, was a W12. Indeed it was two W12 Napier lion aero engines.

Edit:- according to Wiki :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railton_Special

it was