View previous topic | View next topic

Eskimo / Inuit - what's the diff?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Samuel Thomas
16858.  Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:47 am Reply with quote

I liek the current South African view on this, advocated by one of my heroes, Nelson Mandella, that one is either White (caucasian), Black (african of afro-caribean) or Coloured (asian, native american, every one else really). This is all part of the rainbow nation principal. I remember one of the best lectures I ever attended hosted by an alumnis of my college, the Emiritus Archbishop of Cape Town, Desmond Tutu. He was reflecting on his arrival in London and being lost on one occasion and a police officer approaching him. He at first became nervous and was then suprised to have a white police man asking him if he could be of any help and calling him sir. He infuriated his family for much of the remaining few years they spent in Britain by asking pretty much every consable he saw for the time simply for the pleasure of being called sir rather than being beaten up.

Anyway, I digress. As to what term to use, I have discussed this extensivly with freinds of mine involved in racial equality campaigns and the concensus seems to be that black is a fine term to use, as long as it is not being used as an insult. The National Union of Students, for example, call their racial equality campaign the Black Students campaign.

Deke
16864.  Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:38 pm Reply with quote

Wouldn't the world be a lot more fun if we stopped letting stupid things get in the way of the fact that we're all people?

Look at Europe. We're quite happy thinking of everyone from Scandinavia right down to Spain/Italy/Greece as being 'Like us'. In the US the Southern Europeans would be Hispanics, and the Northerners would be Hosers.

On the other hand, I'm conveniently forgetting the xenophobia we show towards anyone that isn't 'like us'.

All I can say is, all over the world, people are more like they are now than they've ever been before. 10 QI points to the first person to tell me where I got that from.

dr.bob
16889.  Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:09 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before.
--Gerald Ford

Almost good enough to give Bush a run for his money :)

Frances
16950.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:14 am Reply with quote

I was taught that it was rude to make personal statements about people; so, I should not say a person was 'black'. The polite word was 'negro'. It gets in the way of my thinking nowadays!

Gray
16961.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 4:24 am Reply with quote

Our PC preoccupation these days is no longer centred around trying not to cause offence, it's centred around fearing being labelled 'a racist'. This leads to a particularly daft and perverse way of saying what's acceptable when describing someone's physical appearance.

People generally have a hard time knowing what genuine 'racism' is anymore, so we all fear it, and it makes us incoherent in the way that we deal with people. Ho hum.

Gaazy
16964.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:14 am Reply with quote

I almost fear bringing this up, but there does seem to be an idea that some racism is acceptable, and it has nothing to do with skin colour. Comments made about the Welsh over the past few years would probably have been illegal if made about Muslims, black people, Jews or other groups, and the term sheep-shagger seems to have become routine - a contributor to a professional musicians' forum to which I subscribe commented recently on the fact that two of the members came from Wales with the words:

Quote:
OK. There's two sheep-shaggers as well. We try to forget.

Flash
16966.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:14 am Reply with quote

Greeks, too. A friend used to do a gag in his stand-up act: "You build five fishing boats, good, strong, they catch many fish. Do people call you Dimitri the boat-builder? No. You build twenty houses for the people, fine houses. Do people call you Dimitri the house-builder? No. You shag one sheep ..."

Deke
16983.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:43 am Reply with quote

Oh come on!!!!

Hasn't everyone shagged a sheep at some time?

Natalie
16989.  Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:15 am Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I seem to have missed out on that experience.

Samuel Thomas
17066.  Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Can't say I have, but there was a man arrested recently in Belgium arrested for sex with dogs.

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle.jhtml?type=oddlyEnoughNews&storyID=7943333&src=eDialog/GetContent

Natalie
17077.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quote

That's sick. I don't know why anyone would want to have sex with an animal.

Samuel Thomas
17078.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:28 am Reply with quote

Did you read the article? He claims he felt sorry for them. But I agree. Yuck.

IM2L844
17079.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:41 am Reply with quote

Quote:
That's sick. I don't know why anyone would want to have sex with an animal.

Those filthy mammals (Any warm-blooded vertebrate having the skin more or less covered with hair; young are born alive except for the small subclass of monotremes and nourished with milk) can be disgusting at times.

Natalie
17084.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:28 am Reply with quote

We humans are mammals, aren't we? So technically, even thought I'm opposed to it, two mammals having sex is perfectly acceptable.

Samuel Thomas
17088.  Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:18 pm Reply with quote

For me personally the thought of having sex with an animal of a species not human seems inherently wrong. I was at first going to say that I felt heterospecies intercourse wrong, but then reflected on, for example, the zedonk, a cross between a zebra and a donkey, which doesn;t seem completely wrong. But then it is not a question of as long as it is homogenus, as I would feel for me personally sex with a monkey woluld be wrong, but is that any more or less wrong than with the afore mentioned dog?

Page 2 of 4
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next