View previous topic | View next topic

Hawaii and number of states

Page 1 of 1

Aldon
133142.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote

In the book of general ignorance
The number of U.S. states is asked and the answer given is 46.
4 are commonwealths
Then on page 124 it says Hawaii became the 50th state.
Which is correct or am I just being pedantic

CaptTimmy
133318.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Four states in the United States officially designate themselves "commonwealths": Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

"Commonwealth" is also used in the U.S. to describe the political relationship between the United States and the overseas unincorporated territories of Puerto Rico and of the Northern Mariana Islands.

eh...Pedantic I believe.. And then there's Puerto Rico who is quite smart because they don't face any of the cons, but still get the pros...

Gray
133360.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 am Reply with quote

The word 'state' is used in two different contexts there, and therefore has two different meanings: one strictly technical (46 of those), and one colloquial (50 of those).

So, you were not being pedantic enough, I fear.

legspin
133397.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:10 am Reply with quote

Why commonwealth?

duglasbell@hotmail.co.uk
1247252.  Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote

CaptTimmy wrote:
Quote:
Four states in the United States officially designate themselves "commonwealths": Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.

"Commonwealth" is also used in the U.S. to describe the political relationship between the United States and the overseas unincorporated territories of Puerto Rico and of the Northern Mariana Islands.

eh...Pedantic I believe.. And then there's Puerto Rico who is quite smart because they don't face any of the cons, but still get the pros...

In fact, Liberia and the Philippines were also Commonwealths.

As a further point this does not necessarily have to occur in an American context. After independence in 1963 Uganda was classed as a Commonwealth because its president, Mutesa II Kabaka of Buganda, was also a monarch.

Page 1 of 1