View previous topic | View next topic

burials

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

brackett
1605.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 8:28 am Reply with quote

On April 21st 1997, a new method of burial was launched, literally, when the rocket Pegasus made its way out of Earths atmosphere. This is what we call a Space burial.
24 capsules –the size of a lipstick tube- containing an ounce ash (Pre-cremated for the occasion) each were stored into the rocket with the intention of allowing the deceased to be officially buried in space -If only temporarily (Pegasus re-entered Earths atmosphere on May 20th 2002)
Among the 24 capsules were the ashes of Gene “The creator of Star Trek” Roddenberry and Dr. Timothy “LSD Guru” Leary.

Molly Cule
1608.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 9:26 am Reply with quote

If you don’t fancy being flung into space but would like a novel end your body could be turned into a coral reef (by a company called ‘Eternal Reefs’). Your ashes will be combined with concrete, sunk to the bottom of the ocean and will form an artificial reef to attract corals, sponges, algae and barnacles. So long as your friends and relatives like scuba diving you shouldn't get lonely. You and your reef will be video taped so less active relatives can check up on your progress. If you aren't a fan of the deep blue sea 'Eternally Yours'can mix your ashes with watercolour and turn you into a painting.
S: http://www.artificialreefs.org/Articles/TheStar.htm and TDT 29.09.03

brackett
1616.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:30 am Reply with quote

Another form of burial- and pardon my dragging the topic back to space- is being buried on the moon. Moon burials are the new way of life (Or death, I should say.)
In fact the first moon burial has already taken place.
Dr. Eugene Shoemaker, planetary geologist, was launched up towards the moon only a mere 32 years after Neil and Buzz first put their feet on it. Dr. Shoemaker’s ashes were included in the N.A.S.A. Lunar Prospector mission, which was launched back in on January 6th 1998.
The spacecraft carrying Eugene’s ashes impacted with the south lunar pole of the moon on July 31st 1999.
Thus making him, symbolically, the first man to be buried on the moon.
Source: http://www.celestis.com/services.html

Jenny
1617.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 11:58 am Reply with quote

A lipstick-sized container is a bit small for a person's ashes, though, surely - though having any part of one scattered into space would be a wonderful thought.

I want to be scattered at sea when I go. I like the thought of particles of what was me being dissipated all over the world. I'm not sure my family could get to grips with the idea of burying me in space, but they can all take a trip on the QM2 with their inheritance and chuck me into the mid-Atlantic.

brackett
1624.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:44 pm Reply with quote

Actually the Lipstick-Container only really contains between 1 and 7 grams of ash. It is what is called a “Symbolic portion” of the body. So what to do with the remaining, perhaps, “Less symbolic portion.” of the body, is entirely up to the relatives. Not that there is a lack of options.
As Dingleberry has suggested, you can be turned into a cemented bit of coral reef and plonked to the depths of the ocean. Or perhaps you wish to be turned into a diamond ring. This can also be done, and has done by a company called LifeGem. For a hefty fee you can turn the ashes of your loved one into a small diamond.

Quote:
Diamonds (And Grandma) are forever.

-Anonymous until proved Attributed.

brackett
1626.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Jeremy Bentham believed that bodies (Dead ones no doubt) should not be buried in the ground, because what is the use of that? Bodies, he proposed, should be put into use. They should all be placed in a convenient location for all to see. So when he passed on, as an example to the world, he had himself embalmed. He had his body preserved and since 1832 has been sitting in the hallways of the University College, London. Encased behind glass. Bentham did come across a few minor problems i.e. His head started to rot. And so after a replaced wax head –the original sitting at his feet looking like the old brown volley ball Tom Hanks made friends with in the movie Castaway- was put on top, Jeremy looked as good as new. He continues to sit in the hallway, making the occasional excursion to the annual meeting of the university administrators, where it is pronounced at the beginning of the meeting.
“Jeremy Bentham, present, but not voting.”

Source: http://www.wolverton-mountain.com/travel/theworld/present.htm and After the Funeral, By: Edwin Murphy.

brackett
1629.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:41 pm Reply with quote

What did happen to Jeremy Bentham’s head? It no longer sits at his feet. Some rumours suggest that this is because people kept kidnapping it and placing it in hilarious places. Other rumours suggest that it was sewed into his ribcage. And another rumour suggests that it was used as the stunt-double for the volleyball in the movie Castaway.
Can anybody shed any light to the whereabouts of Jeremy’s head?

Frederick The Monk
1631.  Tue Nov 18, 2003 1:49 pm Reply with quote

Betham's head is in the vaults of University College, London where it was moved to after a number of incidents in which it 'went missing' from it's original resting place between the legs of Bentham's stuffed body. One (unconfirmed) story has it that on one occasion it turned up in a left luggage locker at Aberdeen station.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/Bentham-Project/info/jb.htm

Flash
1826.  Fri Nov 21, 2003 12:21 pm Reply with quote

Daniel, in case you haven't noticed it see post 1824 on the other board (just click the post number in this message).

Flash
1882.  Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:27 am Reply with quote

There's a myth that Mary Baker Eddy, the Christian Scientist, has a telephone installed in her tomb - is this widely-enough known to be worth debunking, do we think? Apparently the truth is as follows:

Quote:
During the building of her monument at Mount Auburn Cemetery in Boston, her body was kept in that cemetery's general receiving vault. A guard was hired to stay with the body until it was interred and the tomb sealed, and a telephone was installed at the receiving vault for his use during that period. There was never a phone at her monument.
Yet lore has a way of building upon the tiniest fact until a story has been fully fleshed out. The Baker Eddy crypt phone became, through rumor, an instrument installed as a comfort for a fear-driven woman who was terrified by the thought of finding herself, er, encrypted. Even from there the story continued to grow:

Collected from the Internet: "The phone was only connected to a special phone at her house. Therefore, if that particular phone in the house rang, it meant it wasn't just another phone call - it was an urgent call from Ms. Baker Eddy because she had been buried alive. So, one stormy evening lightning hit the phone line and the special phone rang and a servant at the house fainted (or died) of fright."

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/phone.htm

Flash
1884.  Sat Nov 22, 2003 8:34 am Reply with quote

Sorry for the length of this quote, but:

Quote:
In the first century, the magician Simon Magus, according to one report, buried himself alive, expecting a miracle -- a miracle that didn't happen. On Iona, in the sixth century, one of St. Columba's monks, Oran, was dug up the day after his burial and found to be alive. Legend has it when he told his fellows he had seen heaven and hell, he was promptly dispatched and re-interred on grounds of heresy. And the 13th-century Thomas a Kempis, the reputed author of the great devotional work The Imitation of Christ, was never made a saint because, it was said, when they dug up his body for the ossuary they found scratch marks on the lid of his coffin and concluded that he was not reconciled to his fate.
In the late 16th century, the body of Matthew Wall was being borne to his grave in Braughing, England. One of the pallbearers tripped, causing the others to drop the coffin, thus reviving the dear departed. Wall lived on for several more years, dying in 1595. He celebrated his 'resurrection' every year.
In the early 17th century, Marjorie Elphinstone died and was buried in Ardtannies, Scotland. When grave robbers attempted to steal the jewelry interred with her, the deceased surprised the heck out of them by groaning. The robbers fled for their lives, and Elphinstone revived, walked home, and outlived her husband by six years.
Marjorie Halcrow Erskine of Chirnside, Scotland, died in 1674 and was buried in a shallow grave by a sexton intent upon returning later to steal her jewelry. While the light-fingered sexton was trying to cut off her finger to retrieve a ring, she awoke. In her additional years of life after her first burial, she went on to give birth to and raise two sons. No one knows what happened to the sexton.
The 17th century saw a number of premature burials. Collapse and apparent death were not uncommon during epidemics of plague, cholera, and smallpox. From contemporary medical sources, William Tebb compiled 219 instances of narrow escape from premature burial, 149 cases of actual premature burial, 10 cases in which bodies were accidentally dissected before death, and 2 cases in which embalming was started on the not-yet-dead.
Some instances were especially heartbreaking. In the 1850s, a young girl visiting Edisto Island, South Carolina, died of diptheria. She was quickly interred in a local family's mausoleum because it was feared the disease might otherwise spread. When one of the family's sons died in the Civil War, the tomb was opened to admit him. A tiny skeleton was found on the floor just behind the door.

This is from
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/gruesome/phone.htm#buried
which seems to source it to the British Medical Journal in 1877, which can't be right - at least, it can't be a quote, though it might be a source I suppose.

The Thomas a Kempis one sounds best for a question - "What did Thomas a Kempis do that disqualified him from sainthood, thus forfeiting his right to sit with the Almighty for all eternity?"

Frederick The Monk
2008.  Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:13 am Reply with quote

Joanna the Mad, a sixteenth century Queen of Spain, was driven insane with grief after the death of her philandering husband Philip 'The Fair' and sat next to his open coffin for 14 years in the belief that a Spanish legend concerning a prince who slept 'as if dead' for 14 years would come true.

It didn't, as Philip was cleary dead.

To be honest this didn't improve Joanna's fragile state of mind and her son, Charles V, lovingly decided to have her incarcerated in the castle of Tordesillas for the next 46 years. She was said to have become so unhinged there that she would' run up the curtains like a cat'.

sources:
Edward Crankshaw - The Habsburgs
Edward Grierson - King of Two Worlds, Philip II of Spain
John Nada - Carlos the Bewitched

garrick92
2392.  Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:42 am Reply with quote

Over on the bears thread, hardie said:
Quote:
I found it while looking for decent cannibal recipes for the burial string but found none

The following link will enable you to read some cannibal recipes. They all involve eating babies. They may be some kind of situationist prank (nearly all the recipes give 'animal' alternative ingredients) and appear to be connected to something called the Cannibalist Manifesto. I really don't want to look into this (I'm not especially squeamish, but I just can't face it at present).

So: to recap -- Do not click on the following link if the above paragraph leads you to believe that you will not like the content!

www.sonic.net/~ric/go/eat/gfc.htm

hardie
2395.  Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:43 am Reply with quote

garrick - mother of god that put me off my muesli. Human flesh is supposed to taste somewhere between vulture and lion apparently- (carnivores all). The only recipe I found said cook like deer or other game. In Papua there have in the past been CJD like health problems following the eating of human brains. Could find the source if anyone's qi'd

Frederick The Monk
2397.  Sat Nov 29, 2003 5:54 am Reply with quote

The Papua New Guinean cases are amongst the Southern Foré of the New Guinea highlands where the disease is known as Kuru. After the initial discovery of the tribe it was widely held that these were the classic 'cannibals' who ate people for fun and profit but an investgation into the spread of the disease (which is a prion disease like new-variant CJD and BSE) showed it actually came about through ancestor worship. The brain matter that the Southern Foré ate belonged to ancestors (usually grandparents) who had died of natural causes and was generally only eaten by women and children (who thus suffered most from the 'trembling sickness'). Men generally considered eating human flesh to be 'unmanly'.

http://anthro.palomar.edu/medical/med_4.htm

Page 1 of 5
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next