View previous topic | View next topic

What if "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" got it wro

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Gaazy
148908.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:01 pm Reply with quote

Well you'd maybe think so, but I've not been able to unearth any temperature in all the articles I've looked at other than +10C.

smiley_face
148913.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:19 pm Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind waiting for a bus for 20 minutes in +10c, but I certainly wouldn't fancy putting up with it for 3 weeks.

Jenny
148981.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:20 pm Reply with quote

I think if he was at -10C or at 10F he would die of hypothermia, wouldn't he, as those are both below freezing. A fridge is normally set around 5C isn't it? So he would be almost but not quite at fridge temperature at 10C.

Gaazy
149026.  Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Bear in mind that 10C = 50F when reading the following:

Quote:
A few days before Christmas, temperatures remained in the mid-40s Fahrenheit, or around 7 degrees Celsius, from Maryland to Maine. Alex Grossman, a New York City resident, buys a new winter coat every holiday season, waiting until the first cold snap. This year, it never came.

"Now it's so late in the season I won't even buy one," he said, standing without a coat in the center of New York last week as temperatures reached 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

Quote:
Ludlow, Vermont:

Ludlow's summers provide a pleasant break to the long, cold winters.

Average Highs (in degrees Fahrenheit)

* June: 77 degrees
* July: 82 degrees
* August: 79 degrees
* September: 70 degrees

Average Lows (in degrees Fahrenheit)

* June: 50 degrees
* July: 55 degrees
* August: 53 degrees
* September: 44 degrees

So it's often 10C in June in Vermont, weather that would cause a human body to shut down and hibernate?

dr.bob
149118.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:56 am Reply with quote

10C is plenty cold enough to cause problems. According to the wikipedia entry, stage 3 hypothermia (the worst kind) will set in if the body's temperature drops below 32C. That's only 5C below normal. Effects include:

Quote:
Pulse and respiration rates decrease significantly but fast heart rates (ventricular tachycardia, atrial fibrillation) can occur. Major organs fail. Clinical death occurs.

I was quite interested to read that people experiencing stage 3 hypothermia will exhibit "terminal burrowing behaviour"

Quote:
Terminal burrowing behavior is a term used to describe a paradoxical undressing followed by the seeking of shelter sometimes observed in human cases of life-threatening hypothermia. People exhibiting such behavior shed their clothing despite already rapidly losing body heat. Following this action, sufferers seek warmth in some form of protective shelter in what is believed to be a primitive autonomous response to the extreme cold originating from the brain stem. This action is typically one of the final symptoms observed before death.

Anyway, back to the point at hand. Typically human beings can survive temperatures of 10C because they will be wrapped in warm clothing and will also be able to shiver to keep their body temperature up.

However, the story says he was knocked unconscious, which may have impeded his ability to shiver. It also doesn't say how he was dressed. Either way, being stuck without food for 3 weeks would definitely cause your energy levels to drop which would prevent you from being able to shiver.

So, being stuck at 10C without the shiver response to keep you warm would easily cause your body temperature to drop the 5 degrees celsius required to cause stage 3 hypothermia.

Gaazy
149147.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:39 am Reply with quote

That's very good.

Nevertheless, I found it intriguing that Ludlow (Vermont)'s summers, in which the temperatures regularly fall to 10C, "provide a pleasant break to the long, cold winters", and that New Yorkers are happy to be out without a coat in a temperature of 7 degrees C (i.e. 45 F).

I dunno about New Yorkers, but Vermonters seem to be made of tough stuff.

dr.bob
149148.  Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 am Reply with quote

Weather forecast says it's 10C up here today and it feels positively balmy

....for Scotland :)

Mulvil
153707.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:25 am Reply with quote

Geordies regularly brave close to the zero in nothing but a t-shirt

suze
163903.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:47 pm Reply with quote

Now then, now then. Millionaire got it wrong again this evening - but in a klaxon sort of a way rather than just plain wrong.

The question was this:

In which city is Westminster Abbey?

Three of the options were irrelevant (I can't remember, but they were something like Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield).

But the answer just isn't London, is it?

samivel
163904.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:51 pm Reply with quote

You'd have thought its name would have given the question-setter a clue...

djgordy
163906.  Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:56 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Now then, now then. Millionaire got it wrong again this evening - but in a klaxon sort of a way rather than just plain wrong.

The question was this:

In which city is Westminster Abbey?

Three of the options were irrelevant (I can't remember, but they were something like Birmingham, Manchester and Sheffield).

But the answer just isn't London, is it?

If the question was as you say then the answer is wrong. Not merely in a klaxon sort of way but actually wrong. There is the City of London and the City of Westminster, both of which are within Greater London. But, Greater London itself isn't a city because it doesn't have the requisite royal charter.

stuart
163977.  Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:19 am Reply with quote

I can clarify what happens when Millionaire gets it wrong in Australia at least. Some years ago, a contestant on the Australian version was asked to give the colloquial name for the British parachute regiment display team, and correctly answered "the Red Devils". However, the programme said the contestant was wrong, and that the correct answer was the "Green Berets".

The question was worth, I think, the quarter million, but the contestant sued, and sued for the full million on the grounds that he could have gone on to win that. The programme-makers therefore decided on their part to sue the source of the information, a certain British reference book which had provided the wrong information through a printing error (lines in a table not lining up properly).

I know this because I started work as an editor on said reference book shortly after the case started (because I was not responsible for the faulty edition, I'm avoiding mentioning it), and we had a very scary few weeks before the case was thrown out on the grounds that it was the programme's responsibility to fact-check. The contestant, I think, won his claim.

joek
189905.  Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quote

On the english version a couple of years ago somebody gave the 'wrong' answer on a question that he claimed was a trick question and when he won the case millionaire gave him a second go.

suze
189910.  Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Are you referring to Laurence Llewellyn Bowen?

He was asked a question about the motto of the United States of America that wasn't exactly a trick question, but was poorly worded. He gave one of two arguably correct answers, when they had been looking for the other.

When this came to light, the Millionaire people did the only thing they really could - voided that question, and allowed Mr Llewellyn Bowen a replacement question at the same prize level. (He didn't know it and took the money.)

mikeyfone
189930.  Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quote

I know it doesn't quite equate to WWTBAM, but I was at a wine and wisdom last year (my mum bribed me for my brain power).

I got 9/10 for the history round, which was all about WWI, it being the Friday before Remembrance Sunday.

One question was 'When did the First World War start?'

I answered 28th July 1914.

Which was wrong. Apparently.

The answer was given as 4th August 1914. I questioned it but was told it was definately right, and I was wrong. They had a book.

As a final year history student, hoping to do an MA then PhD, I was a bit shocked. Every fibre of my body said I was right, but for some reason its a question I always feel iffy about. When I got home, I found I was right, but, of course, for little Englanders the war didn't start til Britain declared war.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next