View previous topic | View next topic

What am I to do with my Friday nights..

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Natalie
13550.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Yeah... THat's a goos idea as well. Working andtravelling.

Hoi Hoi, we'll see, won't we. But you're right, I cna't really judge it from here.

BTW, why can't you start a gramatically proper sentence with but? Does anyone know?

dotcom
13553.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Ah. but you will all be living in a world controlled by me.
Therefore, you will be acting on my maniacal orders, mostly involving the creation of a Fry Channel which will show back-to-back QI and Stephen Fry TV appearences, although Jo Brand, Alan Davies and Hugh Laurie will be allowed to appear ocassionally. Oh, and that young fellow-me-lad from Silent Witness. You know. Oh, and that pleasant young doctor from Casualty...

....anyway, enough of my headache pill-induced fantasies.

Jenny, you were right on the chocolate thing by the way, I asked my mother and it gives her a headache as well.

The but thing? You can't start a sentence with "and" either, can you? Let me look that one up.. I have vague memories of grammar exercises..

Natalie
13554.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

It's all English. They ram it into from about the age of 7, where you spend your lives living with "no buts or ands at the start of a sentence."

Oh, and the Fry channel thing. Wouldn't that get a bit boring?

Jenny
13558.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote

When you use 'but' or 'and' at the beginning of a sentence, you are usually putting them before a clause containing a transitive verb that would otherwise function as a complete sentence on its own. In this context, 'but' and 'and' normally function as conjunctions, used to join the sentence to a previous clause that would otherwise function as a complete sentence on its own. Thus, it is technically 'incorrect' to begin sentences with a conjunction. However, it is increasingly acceptable to do so these days, if the sentence so produced needs to stand out for some reason. However, if it's done because the person writing the sentence hasn't yet mastered the difference between a comma and a full stop, and if as a stylistic trick it dominates the writing irritatingly, it's not good style in my opinion.

But what do I know?

Natalie
13566.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Loads, by the sound of it!! I always try to use However, nevertheless, on the other hand (although I don't like the latter) etc. I remember in my year 6 SATS exam, they asked something like, "replacee the underlined words" and it was a but at the start of a sentence, so I put as instead, and I think I got a mark. Though I don't know.

Gray
13572.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Don't worry, though - once you've learned all the rules (and why they're rules), you can then go about breaking them with great panache! :-)

Natalie
13576.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote

In French, panache is shandy.

Just so you know!

Commander
13579.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:54 pm Reply with quote

Breaking rules with a great Shandy - will have to try that!

Natalie
13581.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Let me know how it goes!

dotcom
13607.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:57 am Reply with quote

If you remember, that is. Actually, wait. Is shandy alcoholic?

Natalie - It would never get boring! Never" <cue maniacal laughter>

Commander
13611.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:26 am Reply with quote

dotcom wrote:
Actually, wait. Is shandy alcoholic?

Depends on the lemonade / beer ratio. The word shandy pronounced in a Birmingham accent is French for cardigan.

Massingberd
13617.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:31 am Reply with quote

"Top Deck" (abv 0.2%?) was the playground drink of choice for those wanting to prove themselves prodigies in "taking their beer".

Natalie
13644.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:40 pm Reply with quote

BlackAdder can't take his beer (well Ale, if you want to be picky).

dotcom
13646.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:47 pm Reply with quote

I must dig out my videos...weren't they showing them on Friday nights a while back?

Natalie
13651.  Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:04 pm Reply with quote

I dunno, but I got the DVDs as a Crimbo present.

Very funny.

12 hours of fun!

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next