View previous topic | View next topic

What am I to do with my Friday nights..

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Natalie
13528.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:49 pm Reply with quote

I'm shortsighted, so whenever I'm in town without my glasses, and someone shouts my name, I do a Baldrick in BlackAdder III and have a right panick.

Beehive
13534.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:26 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:

The rationalisation that 'explains' this to the sufferer is that the person they're looking at - their mother, for example - is an impostor! They recognise her as looking exactly like their mother, and behaving like her in every respect, but... it's simply not her.

People often believe that their family, friends, pets etc have been taken over by aliens, become robots (one man slit his father's throat to look for the wires) or switched for other.

The opposite of this is Fregoli's delusion, when people mistake strangers for people they know even though they look different. One woman became convinced that her ex-lover and his girlfriend were spying on her, disguising themselves in various wigs, hats, moustaches etc, and she would often demand strangers to remove their disguises. Eventually she was given medication and stopped "seeing" them, but was still convinced that they had been spying on her.

I think The Man That Mistook His Wife For A Hat takes its title from a patient with prosopagnosia.

Beehive
13535.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:30 pm Reply with quote

I'm not taking a gap year. With my choice of career (illustration) I need to get working as soon as possible, and as I have a 4-year course it doesn't really leave much time. If I get a spare few months I plan to travel around Britain using public transport; I haven't seen enough of my own country yet to start jetting off round the world (spending other people's money).

Natalie
13537.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quote

Yeah. You see, Flash, there are many arguments against a gap year.

I personally think it's a waste of time and money,a nd seeing my sister take one and spend all her savings just tips the scale for me. I mean, I maight take a year out in France, but I dunno. Best to get University over with while yo're young and still in teh learning frame of mind.

Commander
13538.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote

I took a gap 30 years.

Beehive
13539.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote

I didn't mean that to be negative about all gap years, just that one isn't right for me. I also seem to have a rather old-fashioned view of gap years, as I'm bitter from seeing people at school spend vast sums on a sort of "package" where they fly to some appropriately exotic place, spend a month or so there doing something worthy (usually involving poor children) and come back, mysteriously, as spoilt and annoying as before. Of course, gap years aren't, or at least shouldn't be, like that, and I'm sure they can be fantastic and the best year of your life. But I can't have one. Hence, perhaps, the bitterness.

Natalie
13540.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quote

Probably. I don't know much about "the world of work," but surely, you can take a year out after University, before work?

Beehive
13545.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:03 pm Reply with quote

You can indeed, but it depends on the career, and as I'll probably be working freelance I think it would be unwise. It will have to wait until I am rich and famous (ha). Anyway.

Natalie
13548.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:06 pm Reply with quote

I want to set up my own interpreting business somewhere in the future, but I don't know when.

I can't wail till I'm retired!

Gray
13549.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quote

But then you've got nothing to look forward to.

The irony is that a gap year will change you, and change the way you view yourself and life in general, because you'll be a free adult for the first time in your life. You can't possibly conceive of the benefit it will give you unless you do it.

That's not a reason in itself for having one, but you must appreciate that you can't accurately measure its worth 'from this end', simply because other values may become more important to you during that year.

But it is expensive. But hey, work for six months, then travel for six months...

Natalie
13550.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote

Yeah... THat's a goos idea as well. Working andtravelling.

Hoi Hoi, we'll see, won't we. But you're right, I cna't really judge it from here.

BTW, why can't you start a gramatically proper sentence with but? Does anyone know?

dotcom
13553.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote

Ah. but you will all be living in a world controlled by me.
Therefore, you will be acting on my maniacal orders, mostly involving the creation of a Fry Channel which will show back-to-back QI and Stephen Fry TV appearences, although Jo Brand, Alan Davies and Hugh Laurie will be allowed to appear ocassionally. Oh, and that young fellow-me-lad from Silent Witness. You know. Oh, and that pleasant young doctor from Casualty...

....anyway, enough of my headache pill-induced fantasies.

Jenny, you were right on the chocolate thing by the way, I asked my mother and it gives her a headache as well.

The but thing? You can't start a sentence with "and" either, can you? Let me look that one up.. I have vague memories of grammar exercises..

Natalie
13554.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quote

It's all English. They ram it into from about the age of 7, where you spend your lives living with "no buts or ands at the start of a sentence."

Oh, and the Fry channel thing. Wouldn't that get a bit boring?

Jenny
13558.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:18 pm Reply with quote

When you use 'but' or 'and' at the beginning of a sentence, you are usually putting them before a clause containing a transitive verb that would otherwise function as a complete sentence on its own. In this context, 'but' and 'and' normally function as conjunctions, used to join the sentence to a previous clause that would otherwise function as a complete sentence on its own. Thus, it is technically 'incorrect' to begin sentences with a conjunction. However, it is increasingly acceptable to do so these days, if the sentence so produced needs to stand out for some reason. However, if it's done because the person writing the sentence hasn't yet mastered the difference between a comma and a full stop, and if as a stylistic trick it dominates the writing irritatingly, it's not good style in my opinion.

But what do I know?

Natalie
13566.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 5:12 pm Reply with quote

Loads, by the sound of it!! I always try to use However, nevertheless, on the other hand (although I don't like the latter) etc. I remember in my year 6 SATS exam, they asked something like, "replacee the underlined words" and it was a but at the start of a sentence, so I put as instead, and I think I got a mark. Though I don't know.

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next