View previous topic | View next topic

What am I to do with my Friday nights..

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Flash
13469.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:32 pm Reply with quote

Well, ladies, if I may intrude: I disagree. I think everyone should do a gap year (it's a completely unrepeatable experience - mine constitutes a wholly disproportionate chunk of my memories), and I think it should be as different as possible from what you think you're going to do with the rest of your life. In my case I joined the army and went to the far east, and I've talked of little else ever since. I was completely unsuited to the army and could never have hacked it if I had done it seriously, but that interlude was just perfect for me and didn't bother the army much either.

hattielittle
13470.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:36 pm Reply with quote

Well itís the money side that bothers me, where would I get that money from to do a gap year and if I borrowed the money the loans after university would be huge it's stupid( loans not a gap year).

Flash
13471.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:42 pm Reply with quote

In my case they paid me, of course, but I realise that isn't available to everyone. Hattie, this is all I can say: I've never met you, don't know anything about you, but I strongly advise you not to let this time of opportunity go by default.

hattielittle
13473.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:45 pm Reply with quote

ok flash i'll try not to, sir!!

Flash
13475.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 pm Reply with quote

Jolly good. Carry on.

(one day when you're 40 you'll tell people this story: "Look at me now ... and, you know, I wasn't even going to do a gap year .... but then I went on this website, and there was a very wise but extremely old man ... I forget his name ... and ... and he changed my life ... I often wonder what became of him ... I guess nobody else cares or even remembers he existed ...")

hattielittle
13478.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:58 pm Reply with quote

Donít worry I won't forget ur name, , ur the savoir of the universe (sorry bad joke)

Last edited by hattielittle on Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Flash
13481.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:02 pm Reply with quote

Ha! - how little she knows.

Alice
13482.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Jolly good. Carry on.

(one day when you're 40 you'll tell people this story: "Look at me now ... and, you know, I wasn't even going to do a gap year .... but then I went on this website, and there was a very wise but extremely old man ... I forget his name ... and ... and he changed my life ... I often wonder what became of him ... I guess nobody else cares or even remembers he existed ...")

No one will forget you and your little crew. Because by then those of you that haven't already, will be squillionairs curtesy of the QI empire

Flash
13483.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote

Look at your school photograph, Hattie. In 20 years' time you won't remember the names of most people in your year.

Curiously enough, you will recognise their faces (which will have changed) when you see them in a crowd, but you won't remember their names (which won't have).

hattielittle
13484.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:09 pm Reply with quote

Well isn't there a large section of ur brain specially for looking and reconsidering faces compared to names

Caradoc
13486.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:

Look at your school photograph, Hattie. In 20 years' time you won't remember the names of most people in your year.

Curiously enough, you will recognise their faces (which will have changed) when you see them in a crowd, but you won't remember their names (which won't have).

I cannot remember names at least until I have met someone three or four times & then it doesn't stick, I can remember faces but cannot link them to places. I run into people who recognise me & chat away whilst I'm desperately thinking ĎI know the face but who & where fromí.

When I left school I had hair half way down my back, was 8 stone soaking wet & was clean shaven, now balding 3 stone heavier & with a moustache & these strangers come up & say hello Carl, how do they do it?

The worst case of remembering names was about 3 years after Uni someone whose name still escapes me, who I shared a lab bench with for 6 hours a week for 18 months, started calling at my office once a month & every time I had to ring the receptionist to ask what his name was & she could remember!

& as for names from my military career don't ask, Flash will know how many people know the Orderly Room Sergeant & I know about 3 of them by name (& don't call me sir I worked for a living).

Last edited by Caradoc on Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Commander
13496.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:05 am Reply with quote

I have a friend who remembers faces, names and places with a precision that frakly borders on the Superhuman. I find this extremely irritating. Just the other day this very amiable chap stopped me in the park and seemed to know an awful lot about me. He was asking all the right questions and knew my name and everything. It was only after we had parted that I was able to place him - he'd lived opposite me for 4 years.

I think ...

dotcom
13497.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:24 am Reply with quote

Cue reappearance of Dotcom etc.

Could be chocolate Jenny.

Flash - We won't forget you because when I am incredibly rich and famous I will erect a monument in your honour.

Hattie and Natalie- Thanks for your concern, but we don't do SATS in our school either. I have inschool exams which will eventually result in which subjects I will choose to continue to GCSE.....gulp! And teaching is no picnic, it's somewhat of a tradition in my family, and one I am desperate to evade!

Flash (again) - I'm taking a gap year. Definitely. When else will I have the free time to conquer the universe?

dotcom
13498.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:25 am Reply with quote

Oh, and

Carl - I find the best thing to do is to take a polorloid of them for "old times sake" then stick it to your wall and put a postit with vital stats next to it. Useful, but rather disconcerting when you're trying to play your guitar of an evening.

Gray
13501.  Tue Jan 11, 2005 7:09 am Reply with quote

There is indeed an area of the brain specifically adapted to recognising faces - the fusiform gyrus, which is located in both hemispheres of the brain, in the temporal lobes (at the front).

There are two interesting conditions that arise when this area is damaged. One is called prosopognosia, or 'face blindness', which renders the sufferer incapable of distinguishing or remembering any faces at all. It's much more serious than the very common 'failure to identify faces with events'.

Even rarer is Capgras syndrome, in which the connection from a normally-functioning fusiform gyrus is severed from the amygdala, which would normally pass information about the face to your limbic system (which deals with the emotions). The resulting behaviour is very odd, and sufferers rationalise what's happening to them in a very strange way.

Although they can recognise faces, when they see someone they recognise, there's no emotional reaction in their limbic system, because that important connection to the amygdala has been severed. The rationalisation that 'explains' this to the sufferer is that the person they're looking at - their mother, for example - is an impostor! They recognise her as looking exactly like their mother, and behaving like her in every respect, but... it's simply not her.

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next