View previous topic | View next topic

What am I to do with my Friday nights..

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Natalie
13441.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:15 pm Reply with quote

Wow, you sound brainy!

What do you want to be when you grow up??

hattielittle
13442.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:18 pm Reply with quote

Thats very kind of u

I would like to be an archaeologist and go to Egypt or I would like to teach maths (all my friends hate maths but I love it)

What do u want to do?

Natalie
13443.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote

I want to be an interpreter - French/English and maybe Spanish. I used to want to be a lawyer, but it's too much hard work, and I'm a shirker!!

I'd love to go to Egypt - I like all the myths and stuff. That or Ancient Greece (if there is such a place).

We are allowed to do up to 5 A-levels, but 5 is for the brainy, brainy people - liek here on QI!!

hattielittle
13448.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Interpreter wow!

You put me in front of anything to do with language and Iím lost, I did so horribly on my French mock (ahhh)

Egypt has always been my dream, depends how well I do on my history A level

Iím defiantly not a brainy, brainy only the number side and useless knowledge of my brain seems to work

Would you like to go and live in were ever you do your interpreting??

Natalie
13451.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:38 pm Reply with quote

Probably France - I've got a French stepmum, and we've got a house there, but the thing is - last time I went I was literally bored to tears, and it's put me off now. I dunno whether to take a gap year before University - I want to go to Nottingham (because I won't get Cambridge or Oxford), but it seems a bit of a waste to take a year out, when I could take one before work, and get Uni over quicker.

Jenny
13453.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote

I think a gap year is most constructive if you can spend it doing something related to what you think you might want to do later - just 'travelling' or working some dead-end job looks like a waste of a year to me. At least if you do something related to your field of interest you can find out if you really are interested or if it just looks interesting in theory but bores you or frustrates you in practice.

hattielittle
13455.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote

I live in Nottingham, it's a really nice university, we took a look round with school

Iím not going to take a gap year, I would prefer to get my studies over and done with so I can get on with paying them back, especial and i will have to study for at least 4 years.

Natalie
13457.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:49 pm Reply with quote

Yeah. My friends Dad (spelt with an I - thanks Jenny)! is an architect and studied for 7 years.

THat's my theory really - the loans are so high, I dont want them forever. I want to set up my own business as s oona s I can. I'm going to at least apply to Nottingham, but I ned to look into them first.

Have you done work experience yet Hattielittle?

Jenny
13459.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

My husband is an architect too Natalie, and he also had to study for 7 years - in fact it was 8 in the end, as he had to drop out for a year to raise some money to continue studying, as his parents couldn't afford to support him.

hattielittle
13460.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:55 pm Reply with quote

Yeah I did I was an accountant; it was good as I used a lot of maths but it was extremely stressful I would leave each day with a headache. Itís something I could see myself doing, so I decided to never think about doing it as a job when Iím older.

Have u done work experience??

What kind of business would u set up??

Natalie
13462.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote

An interpreting ageny. I really want to work for somewhere famous, like the BBC or politics. I did Work Experience at Eversheds Solicitor's in Nottingham. I went back for an extra fortnight to the Facilities department, as they were the best department, and I just wanted a bit of fun. THe filing in the first week was boring, as there were no laywers available.

There were vocation students there, and that made me decide that it was too much hadw ork to be a laywer.

hattielittle
13463.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:09 pm Reply with quote

Reading what u and jenny have put about a archaeology has made me wonder if teaching would be my best option

Yeah work experience has done that to lots of people, made them realise they didnít want to do what they though they did.

Jenny
13465.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quote

On the other hand, it can stimulate your interest. My daughter did a gap year working as a classroom assistant in a special needs school and loved it. She's a musician and wants to be a music therapist, but can't start her training for a couple of years yet, so she's just finishing off a PGCE as a primary teacher at the moment, and planning to do that for a while before she does her therapy training. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she ended up working in a special needs school because she was really good with those children.

hattielittle
13466.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:21 pm Reply with quote

If I was to teach it would be at secondary school or university (but u have to be pretty god dam cleaver to do that) I once spent a week at a primary school, all I did was correct there shoes as they were always on the wrong way round.

Jenny
13468.  Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:26 pm Reply with quote

There's more to primary teaching than you think, Hattie :-)

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next