View previous topic | View next topic

De-stoning

Page 1 of 1

benyooro
132163.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quote

I've never understood how olives are de-stoned. I've tried using Google to find the answer, but keep learning things about Oliver Stone instead.

Is there some Mediterranean machine capable of carrying out this nimble task? Or is it simply a question of employing small-fingered urchins with pokey-poke implements?

And how do they get the pimento/garlic/lemon/anchovy into the subsequent hole?

I'm sensing child exploitation somewhere down the (production) line, alas.

Jenny
132165.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote

For this, you need the immortal words of Michael Flanders.

BondiTram
132327.  Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote

As always - priceless :-)

benyooro
132949.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:59 pm Reply with quote

Ha!

Thank you, Jenny, for your response.

I'm no further forward in my quest, but at least you gave me a giggle.

Can anyone help? The idea of buying an olive-poking outlet purely to satisfy my curiosity exhausts me...

HOW IS IT DONE? HOW ARE THE SEEDS PUSHED OUT OF OLIVES? WHY DO THEY HAVE LITTLE CROSSES IN THEM? HOW IS THE FANCY STUFF INSERTED? SHOULD I BOYCOTT THEM?

Enquiring minds want to know!

gerontius grumpus
134546.  Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote

One end of a de-stoned olive has a round hole and the other end has a cross shaped incision. I would deduce that the olive comes to rest over a metal plate with an olive stone size hole in it and a plunger with a cross shaped cross section pushes the stone and a small disc of olive flesh through the hole.

Kingbarney
134553.  Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:52 pm Reply with quote

The reason why some firuit is seed less or stone is that some of the harest have a genetic default which prevents the seeds growing. I think there is a another thread that cover this but i could find it atm.

Wendall
141883.  Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:00 am Reply with quote

Most good kitchen shops sell olive stoners - or cherry pitters, as they are sometimes called. They are efficient and easy to use - so no exploitation of nimble fingered urchins is required!

Googling "olive stoner" produces the right result.

(I would have put the link in but I'm not that technical!)

Page 1 of 1