Who is the Greek God of the Sun?

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

joek
191680.  Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Eishkimojo wrote:
:) NEE-NAW-NEE-NAW! <Apollo flashes on screen>

You knew it was coming.

It's a common misconception that Apollo is the Greek god of the sun, but he is in fact the god of light, prophecy, art, song and poetry.

Helios is the Greek sun god, or also acceptable is his father, Hyperion, Titan of Light, who has both the Sun and Moon as eyes. Incidentally, the Roman equivalent to Helios is Sol.

Even if it was Apollo it would be spelt Apollon as Apollo was the Roman name for the same God. Also the romans did worship apollo as a sun god more than they did Sol- possibly because they didn't want the entire greek pantheon- at least 27 titans, 12 olympians, and hundreds of minor gods including at least four mother goddesses and four love gods- eros, anteros and aphrodite, and Himeros

djgordy
191703.  Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote

Speaking for myself, I never thought there were too many love gods. In fact, a few more wouldn't do any harm.

Nonieth
191783.  Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 pm Reply with quote

I vaguely remember reading somewhere as a child that Helios drove the chariot, while Apollo rode in it.

Also, looking at the Wikipedia page for Helios, it's interesting how many of his children (particularly by Perse) become important in Greek mythology.

Nonieth
191784.  Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Also, it seems that Apollo's sister, Artemis, took on the persona of the moon from the titaness Selene, whereas initially she was the goddess of the hunt and the wild.

joek
192474.  Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:32 pm Reply with quote

Nonieth wrote:
Also, it seems that Apollo's sister, Artemis, took on the persona of the moon from the titaness Selene, whereas initially she was the goddess of the hunt and the wild.

Selene was never a titan. Her father, however, was. It's a bit like saying Zeus was a titan, and btw, whoever said that there should be more love gods, I wasn't saying that I thought there were too many, I said that may have been what the romans thought.

Tas
192582.  Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:02 am Reply with quote

Heretic! Kill The Unbeliever!

Oh, sorry.....God of The Sun, and not Son Of God.

My mistake.

:-)

Tas

Nonieth
193347.  Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:36 pm Reply with quote

joek wrote:
Nonieth wrote:

Selene was never a titan. Her father, however, was. It's a bit like saying Zeus was a titan, and btw, whoever said that there should be more love gods, I wasn't saying that I thought there were too many, I said that may have been what the romans thought.

This is what happens when you believe Wikipedia ;)

joek
204437.  Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:38 am Reply with quote

Nonieth wrote:
joek wrote:
Nonieth wrote:

This is what happens when you believe Wikipedia ;)

was that aimed at me????

Izzardesque
204744.  Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:09 pm Reply with quote

I think Nonieth was saying that they were the one believing Wiki.

smiley_face
205054.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quote

I have to say, I always thought Helios was the Greek God of the Sun, hence the term "Heliocentric" to describe the model of the universe where the Sun is at the centre.

96aelw
205061.  Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:18 pm Reply with quote

That may equally come from the fact that helios is also the Greek word for the sun. If in need of a deity, the Greeks seem to have reasoned, take the word for whatever you need a god of, and make the first letter a capital. Thus Thanatos, god of death, Hypnos, god of sleep, Helios, and various others.

I used to make the Apollo mistake, if mistake it be.

aislingviolet
569189.  Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote

Helios is the Greek God of the son. Apollo is the bringer of light , associated with Helios . Helios is mentioned in the Homeric epic of the Odyssey, as the sun god , when Odysseus lands on his Island . I hope this is right and my Greek and Roman Civilisation course material has not escaped my memory :)

nuttyskin
580323.  Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Yes, the Romans used to worship Apollo as the god of the sun (rather than worshipping the sun itself - that's heliolatry, a major source of malignant melanoma; though whether it should be heely-oh-lattry to rhyme with Tony Slattery, or the strictly Classical heely-ollatry, I've never been sure).

However, they did also import the foreign cult of Mithras, another solar deity; as well as Sol Invictus, "the unconquered sun", whose birthday was December 25th and whose cult largely provided the (as it were) press-pack materials for the new boy when the Empire re-formatted to Christianity.

Incidentally, the Romans themselves were even more into making up god-names than the Greeks. Most of the old Roman gods are just the name of whatever it is they do: Saturnus, an adjectival noun, "of the sowing of seed"; Mars = Old Latin Mauors, "the mower" or "the masher" (an agricultural god later militarised); Janus, "the doorway" - there even used to be a freestanding door-and-architrave in the Roman Forum which was actually believed to be the god himself.

Jenny
580874.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:32 am Reply with quote

nuttyskin wrote:
Yes, the Romans used to worship Apollo as the god of the sun (rather than worshipping the sun itself - that's heliolatry, a major source of malignant melanoma; though whether it should be heely-oh-lattry to rhyme with Tony Slattery, or the strictly Classical heely-ollatry, I've never been sure).

Interesting post - thanks, and welcome to QI :-)

Heely-ollatry, surely? In line with idolatry.

Curious Danny
580927.  Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote

My understanding, from a book I have, is that Helios was god of the sun until he let his son Phaeton drive.
He nearly crashed the chariot into the Earth. Zeus killed Phaeton and put Apollo in charge (or Apollon).

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next