131895.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:04 pm Reply with quote

The name's the game on this topic.

Lucwhostalking
131898.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 pm Reply with quote

Apollo?

*waits for Klaxons*

96aelw
131906.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote

I should imagine Helios is the less klaxon prone answer.

Eishkimojo
131907.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:16 pm Reply with quote

:) NEE-NAW-NEE-NAW! <Apollo flashes on screen>

You knew it was coming.

It's a common misconception that Apollo is the Greek god of the sun, but he is in fact the god of light, prophecy, art, song and poetry.

Helios is the Greek sun god, or also acceptable is his father, Hyperion, Titan of Light, who has both the Sun and Moon as eyes. Incidentally, the Roman equivalent to Helios is Sol.

Lucwhostalking
131913.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:37 pm Reply with quote

Did Apollo pull the sun with his chariot every morning to raise it or is that a misconception too?

Eishkimojo
131917.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote

I think it is, but don't quote me on that, I'm not sure.

I can tell you that in the more classical versions of the myth, Apollo had no association with the sun whatsoever. However, there's some later art and poetry which alludes to Apollo being in the chariot. Whether that's just because of the original misconception or not, I can't say, sorry.

Lucwhostalking
131924.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:10 pm Reply with quote

If he did pull the sun everyday does that mean he was pulling one of Hyperions eyes?- must be quite painful

Eishkimojo
131925.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:13 pm Reply with quote

I'd imagine so. Unless you're into that type of thing. I bet there're clubs dedicated to it...

King of Quok
131991.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quote

You might get away with Apollo, if I can be controversial here. Helios/Helius was a half Titan, having been born of Euryphaessa/Theia by Hyperion, and therefore not one of the pantheon of twelve Olympian gods of Classical Greece. Robert Graves in 'The Greek Myths' mentions that, along with the fact that

"Apollo usurped Helius's place and made an intellectual deity out of him".

John Lempriere, in his 'Classical Dictionary', writing considerably earlier says:

"Apollo has been taken for the Sun, and though many passages in acncient writing might prove that Apollo, the Sun, Phoebus and Helios were sometimes regarded as different characters and deities, yet it is evident that the Ancients considered the son of Latona (or Leto, i.e., Apollo) as the god who guided the chariot of the sun and that he received as that luminary the homage of the various nations of the earth..."

I think that, because of Greece's long history, and the fact that it was initially a collection of disparate city states as diverse as Athens and Sparta, it's very difficult to pin down precise 'spheres of influence' for even the Olympian pantheon. It seems that some of the pantheon, such as Apollo, supplanted earlier deities in the same way that Zeus and his siblings supplanted Cronos and the Titans, and that it is actually fairer to say that in a more or less unified Greece Apollo, and not his predecessor Helios, was identified with the sun.

Eishkimojo
132007.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:54 am Reply with quote

Yeah, when the Titans were overthrown, Helios supplanted Hyperion. In all the myths I've read, however, Apollo was never said to be "The God Of The Sun." But, as you mentioned, there's a grey area once the Titans were overthrown. I suppose my klaxon-ing was a bit out of order then. My apologies to Lucwhostalking. Many thanks to the King Of Quok. Anyone else want to interesting-ify this thread?

King of Quok
132012.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Thank you Eishkimojo; I think I'm quibbling a bit as I would have instinctively agreed that Helios was the Sun god, but I had to concede before the tag team of Graves and Lempriere.

135326.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 2:55 pm Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply but the answer to the original question "Who is the Greek God of the Sun?" Is me.

Best wishes
Lucifer Black

Gluben
135330.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:10 pm Reply with quote

But I don't think Helios 11 or 13 would make a good name for a film...

King of Quok
135336.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Nor would is scan in that God-awful song from the O'Toole/Petula Clark flick 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'. That might be an improvement, though...

mckeonj
135367.  Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:03 pm Reply with quote

I believe that there is a theological difference between 'the Sun God' and 'The God of the Sun', that is he who controls the sun, rather than the Sun itself.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next