View previous topic | View next topic

DOGS

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Rudolph Hucker
414010.  Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote

Aren't akitas Japanese fighting dogs?

If so, why would anyone want to own one? (Apart from taking part in dog fighting in Japan)

richt
520765.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:50 am Reply with quote

An odd comment - just because we call it a "Japanese Fighting Dog" doesn't mean it has to do that - we could call it it a "cuddly sofa dog" what does it do then?

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

If so, why would anyone want to own one? (Apart from taking part in dog fighting in Japan)

Rudolph Hucker
520784.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:19 am Reply with quote

richt wrote:
An odd comment - just because we call it a "Japanese Fighting Dog" doesn't mean it has to do that - we could call it it a "cuddly sofa dog" what does it do then?

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

What's odd about it?

Pit Bulls no longer have anything to do with terrorising bulls but they are still evil bastard dogs that no sane person would ever consider as a pet.

The Akita is similarly nasty but bigger and stronger.

I propose that anyone who wants to keep one of these animals as a pet should have to pass a simple test of their sanity and if they pass it they can have any vicious, dangerous animal they choose.

The test question is 'Do you wish to own a vicious, terrifyingly strong animal of dubious temperment and keep it as a family pet?'

If the answer is 'Yes' then the applicant is clearly deranged and should not be allowed to have one.

Anyone else who passes the test can keep crocodiles or tigers as well if they so choose.

Jenny
520886.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:22 pm Reply with quote

I don't keep dogs, but my stepdaughter breeds English mastiffs, and recently told me about the rehabilitation of pit bulls formerly used for fighting.

bemahan
520900.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:33 pm Reply with quote

DaveA wrote:
In Tudor times it was common for kitchens to have different ways of turning meat over a fire, the spit boy was the lowliest job, and the task was assumed by a corgi-like canine in a wheel for smaller joints. The wheel was called a turnspit or a dogwheel.
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turnspit_Dog

I am suggesting that the term 'dogwheel' led to the animal being called a dog, not the other way around as tends to be assumed. ie. The term 'dogwheel' could have meant a wheel for turning a dog, or old English 'dag', another word for a spit. We still use the term Dogwood for certain members of the Cornus family of shrub, which was named for it's straight stems ideal for skewering meat to cook over a fire.

There is also the word "firedog" - device of metal or ceramic intended to hold logs above the hearth (and so improving air circulation). This further indicates that maybe "dog" was a word associated with the fire itself originally.

Rudolph Hucker
520903.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:39 pm Reply with quote

Interesting stuff but I still wouldn't trust one.

When they do maul/kill children (and they do) the owners always seem bemused and say things like 'it's so out of character, Biffo has always played nicely with children before now; no-one could have foreseen this tragedy'

No, it's not out of character and a one-eyed man looking down the wrong end of a broken telescope could have foreseen it.

PDR
521028.  Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:25 pm Reply with quote

Interesting. Do you have similarly disparaging views on that other vicious, dangerous predator, the cat?

PDR

Rudolph Hucker
521124.  Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:37 am Reply with quote

My disparagement of cats and dogs is in equal proportion to their individual propensity to kill or maim children.

Cats rarely rise above nuisance value and I quite like the fact that they help keep the noisy, messy birds out of my garden but I wouldn't miss them if they were to contract a contagious form of feline brain-rot and die out.

PDR
521271.  Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote

Rudolph Hucker wrote:
Interesting stuff but I still wouldn't trust one.

When they do maul/kill children (and they do) the owners always seem bemused and say things like 'it's so out of character, Biffo has always played nicely with children before now; no-one could have foreseen this tragedy'

No, it's not out of character and a one-eyed man looking down the wrong end of a broken telescope could have foreseen it.

And yet strangely it is still an extremely rare event. Given the number of dogs kept as pets in this country you would expect this kind of attack as a daily occurance if it was "in character". Cut through the hysterical canophonbia and you find that any given child is at much higher risk of being knocked down by a car, suckered into a drug habit or just the victim of an accident in the home. In fact the evidence shows that a child is at much higher risk of injury or death as a result of an attack by its parents than by its pet.

PDR

Ameena
521427.  Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:10 pm Reply with quote

...and you don't see people putting parents to death because they injured/killed their own child.

CB27
522796.  Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:14 am Reply with quote

I read an interesting story about a dog in the 1870s who lived in a remote sheep ranch in New Mexico.

It seems that visitors to this ranch discovered the solitary rancher dead in his hut. His records showed that he had been dead two years, but his flocks had actually increased since his death. How was this possible?

His dog had been tending the flocks in his absence. The rancher had trained him to drive the flocks to their pasture in the morning, guard them all day, and return them to their fold at night, and he'd continued these duties when the rancher disappeared, killing some sheep as necessary for food but faithfully tending the rest.

According to reports, in 1879 the New Mexico legislature awarded the dog a pension for life as a reward for his fidelity, "and no doubt as an encouragement to all other shepherd dogs in that territory to be good and faithful."

There's a report into the incident in the "Anti-Vivisectionist" paper of December 1880 and a further mention on page 102 of "Handy Help, No.1" by Albert Plympton Southwick, published in 1886.

helenethuen
947682.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote

Rudolph Hucker wrote:

I recommend you read up on the race and also watch the film "Hachiko: a dogs story" which is based on a very true story. Of course, you might say that I'm now basing my view on the dog race just from this one akita, but then again, I might say the same about you.

Rudolph Hucker
947688.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Interesting to note that in your opinion this is 'very' true as opposed to those stories which are true mostly but also made up a bit.

helenethuen
947690.  Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:48 pm Reply with quote

It was merely a side comment on how films are often said to be based on a true story, when only small parts or the idea of it is. Which is not at all what this topic is about.

Oceans Edge
980303.  Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:36 am Reply with quote

This is one of the best videos I've seen done of the Italian Water Rescue Dogs (the Eukanuba series touched on it, and Martin Clune's series never even mentioned them) - frankly (yes I know personal bias and all that....) I think it some of the coolest dog training / dog work out there. (Also I know one of their volunteers and her dogs through the Newfoundland forum I'm on). As a volunteer run training facility, anyone who can a) meet the entrance requirements and b) afford the fee can go train with them.

Cruft's Magazine - Return of the Sea Dog

It is a bit shy on the history of the two breeds - which yes, both came out of Newfoundland - but they share a common ancestor in Newfoundland - the now extinct St John's Water Dog. But it's a beautiful video of just how much FUN these dogs have doing the work they were designed to do!

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next