View previous topic | View next topic

Norway

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Leith
825171.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:37 am Reply with quote

Like the time-lapse aurora pictures, evilduck. Thanks for posting those.

Jenny
825270.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Fabulous link, evilduck - thanks so much! We loved Norway when we were there in August 2007 and would love to go back. Amazing to see how light it is still at that time of night - that's further north than I've ever been I think. I'm also surprised to still see snow on the mountains.

evilduck
825272.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:49 pm Reply with quote

I was watching through the night last night, sun was still up at 2-3am, and then it started moving higher in the sky. Midnight sun up north at this time of year, doesn't get dark at all.

I've been following the broadcast on and off for 3 days now, still 2 and a half to go before they reach end destination.

Right now they are in Trollfjorden, fantastic location, truly epic scenery.

Jenny
825287.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:21 pm Reply with quote

I've shared both that link and the aurora borealis link to Facebook - I hope my friends will like them as much as I did.

Zebra57
825290.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote

Watching the progress of the ship, especially during the mid-night sun is fascinating. The programme almost has a hypnotic quality, thanks evilduck for the link.

Last edited by Zebra57 on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

evilduck
825306.  Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:56 pm Reply with quote

It's almost hard to believe that it is live when you see a marching band and people turning up to greet the Hurtigruten ship at 1:50am with the sun still up. But it really is live.

A total of 5 and a half days live broadcast, perhaps the longest documentary in the world? They did make the comment that it wasn't a world record for longest live broadcast, as they could not compete with the Big Brother show doing 100 days.

The best sign held up so far, a young boy holding a sign at 1:55am saying "I might be a bit late for school tomorrow" haha

Jenny
825444.  Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote

I've just looked at that link again - absolutely fascinating. Thanks so much for posting it.

evilduck
825455.  Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:12 pm Reply with quote

A hot tip Jenny, on the streaming site you have a map to the left, with the route travelled in red. You can click on that red line and be taken to that point of the journey in the video. That way you can revisit highlights like Trollfjorden or Geiranger.

It's impossible to see it all live, more than 5 days is a tad long to stay up and follow the broadcast, so this video on demand feature is great.

Jenny
825464.  Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:48 pm Reply with quote

I didn't know that - thanks evilduck. Woodsman (my husband) has been enjoying the link a lot, so I'll pass that tip on to him and I'm fairly sure he will want to go back and look at it again too.

Starfish13
825499.  Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote

Zebra57 wrote:
Scientists believe that a massive landslip on the Norway coast sent a giant tsunami c 6,000BC towards British shores finally cutting us off from our neighbours.

It was called the Storegga Slide, and you can see evidence of it in north east Scotland. Around Montrose Basin there is a layer of sandy sediments in the soil strata, about 4m above the modern high water level. I used to take geology students on a guided walk to see it.

The tunami surge is estimated to have reached up to 80km inland across north east and central Scotland, and would have also inundated Doggerland (the land bridge between Great Britain and continental Europe). However, Doggerland would have finally sunk beneath the seas due to a combination of rising sea levels and lowering land levels (post-glacial isostasy).

evilduck
825532.  Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:27 pm Reply with quote

It's not the first time NRK makes long travel documentaries, in 2009 they did a complete train trip on Bergensbanen from Bergen to Oslo. Although no longer available as a video on the web, it can be downloaded via torrent. It's over 7 hours of footage, so in HD it's a 246 GB file, but there is a lower resolution version also available for download, it's 22 GB in size.

Also a 10 minute sample from the documentary is available on the page linked below, the sample is from Finse where the iceplanet of Hoth scenes in Star Wars were filmed.

Bergensbanen from Bergen to Oslo

Edit:

Actually it is still available on the web through the Norwegian part of the site, but I am not sure if that streaming is open to visitors from abroad:

Bergensbanen on web-TV

Dix
825757.  Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:22 pm Reply with quote

Nice, Duck. The Web-TV link does work from the UK, although I had to wait ages for a speed test before it would start.

Someone (several people, apparently) have decided to play a game of "Where's Wally?" in the "Hurtigruten" documentary. Sample piccies here: http://www.nrk.no/kultur-og-underholdning/1.7682569

(You'll have to use Google translate to read the text if your Norwegian is rusty.)

Peregrine Arkwright
826251.  Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:10 pm Reply with quote

evilduck wrote:
Here are a couple of beautiful time lapse videos of aurora borealis, made in Northern Norway:
http://vimeo.com/21419634
http://vimeo.com/21294655
Absolutely stunning. I've seen ball lightning (once), I've watched shooting stars in the Med, and in Sussex I've seen a triple rainbow so close you could almost touch it, but the one thing I've never seen is the Northern Lights. Apparently they have even been seen as far south as London and regularly in Scotland; one day.
PA

evilduck
829061.  Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote

NRK reports that the Guinness Book of Records confirmed that the Hurtigruten programme is an official record. 134 hours 42 minutes and 45 seconds is the longest live documentary ever.

'yorz
829062.  Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:28 pm Reply with quote

Skol!

Page 5 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next