View previous topic | View next topic

Norway

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

suze
803594.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:24 pm Reply with quote

otyikondo wrote:
Suze: is it true that the unofficial terms "locking" and "unlocking" exist for the "fifth and sixth seasons"? I'm sure I remember somebody claiming this about Canada years ago.

Those terms were, I think, devised by Kurt Vonnegut. They make a fair amount of sense though, and I shouldn't be surprised if they sometimes get used.

Mind you, I come from Vancouver, where the winter weather is scarcely more severe than it is in south east England where I live now. If it snows for more than one day in Vancouver, that ceases to be weather and becomes news.

sjbodell wrote:
Just out of curiosity, when driving across ice, does one need special tires or a particular type of vehicle? Or could a soccer-mom-standard van do the trick, for instance?

Away from the Lower Mainland of BC where it's scarcely necessary, most people in Canada change their tires in the fall and again in the spring; this is a legal requirement in Québec (and probably other provinces ere long) as it is in some parts of Europe. Not necessarily needed by city dwellers, but those who travel in the boonies in winter often fit chains as well.

You don't need a special vehicle, though. You wouldn't really choose to do it in a compact city car, but a soccer-mom van would be absolutely fine, subject to suitable tires.

Spud McLaren
803603.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:19 pm Reply with quote

evilduck wrote:
.My real name is Anda, which is Norwegian for "the duck".
Then, a resounding "Eyup, mi duck!" from Derbyshire, UK.

evilduck wrote:
... I just couldn't imagine an evil duck.
Imagine a small goose with a short neck. There you go.

'yorz
803674.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm Reply with quote

Why are ferries banned? Is that the reason why there's no longer a ferrie from North Shields to Norway? You now have to go via the Continent.

evilduck
803679.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:18 pm Reply with quote

As a die hard Land Rover fan, and a lover of all things British, I hate that we lost our ferries to the UK. Boo hiss!

'yorz
803696.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm Reply with quote

If ever there was a chance that I could go and see Aurora Borealis in Tromsø, it would have been per ferry. Having to travel to Hamburg first makes it far too expensive. <sulk>

otyikondo
803699.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:42 pm Reply with quote

I never knew! When did THAT happen, and when did the Gothenburg-Newcastle connection (or even the Gothenburg-Harwich connection) disappear?

Mind you, there were some dodgy moments on those ferries - years before the Estonia went down I had several photos of us sailing happily along on the North Sea with the bow doors wide open...
I actually sold one to a newspaper after the disaster happened, to point out that some other lines were occasionally rather slipshod in that department.

suze
803703.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:54 pm Reply with quote

'yorz wrote:
Why are ferries banned?

Oh, only to make the game more difficult! Anyone actually doing the journey along the main road would certainly use at least one, and anyone deliberately avoiding that road would probably dip into Sweden and Finland a couple of times.

I was just interested in knowing if it was possible to make the journey without doing either thing - to which the answer seems to be "no".

'yorz
803704.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:57 pm Reply with quote

I was working for the Complaints Department of the Hook-Harwich line when the Herald of Free Enterprise went down. But for the grace of god.... our Queen Beatrix often sailed with the bow doors wide open.

'yorz
803710.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:01 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
'yorz wrote:
Why are ferries banned?

Oh, only to make the game more difficult! Anyone actually doing the journey along the main road would certainly use at least one, and anyone deliberately avoiding that road would probably dip into Sweden and Finland a couple of times.

I was just interested in knowing if it was possible to make the journey without doing either thing - to which the answer seems to be "no".

O. Misunderstanding. I often tried to find out why the North Shields-Norway ferry disappeared some years ago, and when you said that the ferry was banned, I drew the wrong conclusion. :)

Last edited by 'yorz on Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
803726.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:54 pm Reply with quote

We travelled back from Norway on the ferry from Bergen to Newcastle, but that was almost four years ago now and it's been cancelled since, which I think is very sad.

Evilduck - the trip across the mountain roads from Oslo to Stavanger was fantastic and we really enjoyed it - highly recommended.

As for driving on snow - like the Canadians, we Mainers change our tires (note American spelling!) in roughly November and late March/early April depending on how long it takes the snow to go away.

evilduck
805616.  Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote

In the news the other day, they mentioned a place called Mong, just south of Egersund in Norway. So for the ladies wanting to get their husband back for taking the "Bore" picture, just go there and take a picture of the old man next to the Mong sign. :P

You can get from Bore to Mong by driving the North Sea Road along the South-West coast of Norway. It is a wonderful drive, I have been up and down the coast many times myself.

Some peektures from the general area can be seen here:

http://pravus.net/outings/august/

Ignore the comments, this album wasn't ment for publishing, it's just our memories from a few day trips we made. :P

'yorz
805969.  Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:00 pm Reply with quote

Can't access it :(

Zebra57
807614.  Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote

Scientists believe that a massive landslip on the Norway coast sent a giant tsunami c 6,000BC towards British shores finally cutting us off from our neighbours.

evilduck
809816.  Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:45 pm Reply with quote

Here are a couple of beautiful time lapse videos of aurora borealis, made in Northern Norway:

http://vimeo.com/21419634

http://vimeo.com/21294655

And also this lovely timelapse from the Norwegian mountains:

http://vimeo.com/22439234

Well worth spending a few mins watching. :)

evilduck
825086.  Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 am Reply with quote

I am sorry for being a tad late with this, the ship is nearing the half way point.

But here you can follow the Hurtigruten ship on it's way from Bergen to Kirkenes along the coast of Norway. The broadcast is live, and they are on the air non-stop for about 134 hours. It's filmed by Norwegian broadcaster NRK, and is aired on their channel NRK2 as well as being streamed live over the internet.

Hurtigruten Bergen - Kirkenes

Page 4 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next