View previous topic | View next topic

Norway

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ian Dunn
678286.  Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:09 am Reply with quote

As of 1st February, 2010, Norway declared that fetishism, transvestism, fetishistic transvestism, sadomasochism and multiple disorders of sexual preference, to be no longer diseases.

These however, are still currently listed as "Disorders of sexual preference" by the World Health Organisation, falling under Chapter F65 of the International Classification of Diseases.

This ruling by Norway has followed similar moves in Sweden and Denmark.

Source: http://www.revisef65.org/ - An organisation fighting for reforms of Chapter F65.

evilduck
798751.  Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:15 pm Reply with quote

Speaking of names of places, in Norway we also have a place called Moi. It's very popular for tourists to take pictures next to the road sign, having the arrow point at them.

Must not forget Bore, always nice to have a picture of the little wife next to that sign. :P

Bondee
798753.  Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote

evilduck wrote:
Must not forget Bore, always nice to have a picture of the little wife next to that sign. :P

Does your wife know you talk about her like that?!?
; )

Welcome to the forum. That's a cool username!

Sadurian Mike
798758.  Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:46 pm Reply with quote

I used to have an avatar that was an evil (vampire) duck. I trust you aren't my old avatar come to life.

evilduck
798760.  Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote

No wife for me, I was talking about the tourists. I do not think of myself as a tourist when it comes to Bore, it's just a few minutes away from where I live. ;)

And thank you for the welcome and the compliment on my nick, it used to be Duckie back in the days, but that was always taken in various fora, thus I changed it to Evilduck, mostly because I just couldn't imagine an evil duck. My real name is Anda, which is Norwegian for "the duck".

CB27
798784.  Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:45 pm Reply with quote

There was always Count Duckula, I used to love that when I was a kid :)

Jenny
799076.  Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:01 pm Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, evilduck :-)

Which bit of Norway are you in? I was there for a few days a couple of years ago, and we drove over the mountain roads between Oslo and Stavanger, and later up the coast (including under several tunnels) between Stavanger and Bergen. While we were staying in Stavanger we had a lovely boat trip up the Lysefjord. Fabulous place Norway - I'd love to go back.

evilduck
803514.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:31 am Reply with quote

Hi Jenny, thank you for the welcome.

I live just outside Stavanger, and I can almost throw a stone into the Lysefjord, well I would have to throw quite hard and also around a corner, but details.. ;)

Some day I want to drive from the southern tip all the way to the northern most point of Norway, do all the small roads and ferries along the coast. And then back down via the inland, over the mountains etc. I am a bit ashamed of the fact that I have not experienced large parts of my own country, when it has so much to offer.

suze
803544.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am Reply with quote

If we say that ferries are banned, and that deviating into Sweden or (in the far north) Finland is banned, is it possible to drive from one end of Norway to the other?

evilduck
803546.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:29 am Reply with quote

Yes, I believe so.

Edit: Or maybe not. I was looking at a map, and there is a huge gap in the main road up north (E6) just south of Harstad, I assume that gap is covered by a ferry. I have no idea if there are ways around it, smaller roads that do not require a ferry crossing. Hmm...

otyikondo
803554.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
If we say that ferries are banned, and that deviating into Sweden or (in the far north) Finland is banned, is it possible to drive from one end of Norway to the other?

An interesting puzzle. In Finland the get-out would be that the small island-hopping chain ferries ARE part of the official road network. They just happen to go across water.

Equally, while I cannot speak for Northern Norway, where the Gulf Stream may kick in and spoil things, at least this winter it was possible to get across to the Åland Islands by car over the ice. Well, hang on a minute, I might have to back up on that one... the ice-breakers would have kept some kind of narrow fairway open to make things difficult.

evilduck
803555.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:49 am Reply with quote

I have now followed the road from Lindesnes (southern tip) to Nordkapp (northern tip), you start by driving E39 to Kristiansand, then E18 to Oslo, and E6 from Oslo the rest of the way. Well roughly anyways, as Lindesnes is a bit off the European roads grid.

You can't get all the way without a ferry as far as I can tell. But you would get away with just one ferry crossing though. Although ferries banned, that is not an option. ;)

You can study both maps and photos at http://hvor.no it is easy to zoom in / out, and navigate. Click "flyfoto" to get a combination of sattelite and aerial photos, depending on your current zoom level.

suze
803562.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm Reply with quote

Yes, if you follow that main road route, it seems that you need to take a ferry between Bognes and Skaberget. There is such a ferry, although it doesn't operate quite as frequently as I'd have imagined - see here for schedule (in Norwegian, unsurprisingly).

If there is a route from bottom to top which avoids that ferry, I haven't found it yet.

The same is true in Canada - there is no way to drive to Yellowknife in summer without using a ferry across the Mackenzie River. That one is free and operates every thirty minutes. (In winter, the Mackenzie River is frozen and you drive across the ice. For a few days in spring and again in the fall, there's no way across and Yellowknife is cut off. Even though this happens every year, the city still tends to come close to running out of food each time.)

otyikondo
803565.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:07 pm Reply with quote

Suze: is it true that the unofficial terms "locking" and "unlocking" exist for the "fifth and sixth seasons"? I'm sure I remember somebody claiming this about Canada years ago.

They certainly are discrete "seasons" with their own specific problems.

sjb
803567.  Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:13 pm Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, when driving across ice, does one need special tires or a particular type of vehicle? Or could a soccer-mom-standard van do the trick, for instance?

Page 3 of 6
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next