View previous topic | View next topic

Sultanate Of Oman

Page 1 of 1

seadog
771582.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:58 am Reply with quote

I lived there for 3 1/2 years, 1997-2000

It was very lovely, but quite uninteresting.

Can anyone tell me what I missed?

Jenny
771865.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:36 pm Reply with quote

There is a huge cave system called the Majlis al Jinn (Congress of the Jinn), which has the 9th largest cave chamber in the world and is apparently popular with spelunkers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Majlis_al_Jinn

Welcome to the forums :-)

bobwilson
771912.  Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote

Hang on - you lived there for 3 years and you can't tell us a single interesting thing? What does it smell like? What kind of music was popular? What does it sound like (most countries have a particular vocal sound that predominates - or at least regionally). What happens on Monday/Tuesday/Friday etc? Or On May 5th or October 7th?

I can't believe someone can live in an alien culture for more than 3 years and not find something unusual to mention to the home audience.

seadog
771919.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote

Maybe I'm not trying hard enough?

How about..

All shops have to have the type of shop that they are shown on their sign, and these descriptions are from a standard list.

So such gems as:

Typical Dental Clinic
Car Denting and Repairs
Novelties, confectionary and small goods

Except the off licenses. They are simply 'Eastern Trading Co' and the like, with no windows or other indication of their trade. You simply have to know (expat grapevine). Inside they are just like Oddbins etc.

Omani citizens are allowed to purchase alcohol, but only in hotels, and then only when wearing national dress! (Dish-Dash and Kumar)

Dirty cars are illegal. Rather hard to maintain a clean one in a generally dusty desert country

There, I'm sure I can come up with more...

bobwilson
771920.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote

I'm sure you can too. The essence of interesting is reporting back things that we won't be able to find from a cursory glance at internet sources.

CB27
772018.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 am Reply with quote

Not sure if it's Oman I'm thinking of, but I remember something about a Scots Brigade on Camels or something like it that I think still exists...

Jenny
772085.  Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:20 pm Reply with quote

I like the one about dirty cars being illegal, and the one about Omanis only being able to buy alcohol while wearing national dress. Do they ask for ID? I can imagine somebody going into such a shop in street dress and claiming to be Kuwaiti or from Dubai - I'm not sure how you would tell an Omani from the others visually, though of course there might well be linguistic differences that would make it obvious.

Page 1 of 1