View previous topic | View next topic

Korea

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

BondiTram
143732.  Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:48 pm Reply with quote

Yes indeed, and for me in an unexpected way.

Quote:
If you're not familiar with the linguistic terms above, velars (variations of k and "hard g") are formed when the back of the tongue meets the upper back of the throat. Alveolar consonants (n, d, t, "flap r," l) are formed when the tip of the tongue meets the alveolar ridge, on the roof of the mouth toward the front. Dental consonants (s, sh, j, ch, and similar consonants) involve friction between the tongue and the upper part of the top teeth. Bilabial (p, b, m) means two-lipped; the lips come together and are released. Vowels and glottal consonants (h and 'ng' in modern Korean) are formed in the throat.)

We were talking about various Australian accents in another thread and I was trying to explain the way natives of the Northern Territory speak (not talking just about Aboriginals here). They use velars to form their 'd's, bringing the tongue forward from the upper back of the throat, whereas most of the rest of us use alveolars. Well, not quite, sort of half way in between.
Good job nobody's watching, as I sit here intoning to persuade myself.

mtwelles
306587.  Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:01 am Reply with quote

Korea is the only country in the world (to my knowledge) to have a holiday for a writing system. October 9 is "Hangul Day", celebrating the Korean alphabet, and until recently it had been a national holiday holiday.

suze
306639.  Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:43 am Reply with quote

I think Korea was the first country to have a holiday to commemorate the alphabet, but it's not the only one.

There's a holiday to commemorate the Cyrillic alphabet in Bulgaria and (from 2007) in Macedonia FYR; it happens on 24 May.

Sadurian Mike
307656.  Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:21 pm Reply with quote

During the Korean War, the WWII-era main battle tanks of WWII's former allies; the USSR and USA, met for the first time, giving a glimpse of what would have happened had the US and Britain carried on to declare war on Russia and push them out of Eastern Europe (as was considered by some Western politicians).

The Soviet T-34/85 initially completely outclassed the light M24 Chaffee tanks of the US forces rushed in from Japan. The US then brought in reinforcements from the US itself, including the late-war version of the M4 Sherman, the M4A3E8 Sherman, and their latest heavy tanks, the M26 Pershing and M46 Patton.

These newer tanks (along with the British Centurion) helped regain the balance of power as far as armour was concerned, but the close nature of the Korean terrain meant that tanks were rarely used in anything more than small groups.

Given the relative performances and numbers of available tanks, the Korean War suggested that the Western Allies would have been hard-pressed to beat the Soviet Union in conventional warfare at that time. Only a cynic would suggest that either Superpower saw the war as a test-bed for their newest weapons.

Colle
447036.  Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:21 am Reply with quote

What about the 한글 letters that were omitted? Weren't there also a triangle and some other shapes? How were they pronounced?

Just like in Japan, on St Valentine's day, the boys give the girls gifts. On the 14th of March, 'White Day', the girls give the boys a gift in exchange.
My Korean friends also "celebrated" 'Black Day' with me, on the 14th of April. it's for all the singles and named so because they go out to eat 자장면 (Jajangmyeon), noodles with a black sauce on top.

mtwelles
517267.  Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote

Colle wrote:
What about the 한글 letters that were omitted? Weren't there also a triangle and some other shapes? How were they pronounced?

There are four letters (three consonants and a vowel) that have been omitted from the modern Korean alphabet. The triangle you mention (ᅀ) roughly corresponded to the English "z" sound. The character ᅌ was a variant of ᆼ originally used for the "ng" sound while ᆼ was originally only used as a null initial character. Eventually, the ᆼ was used for both. The ᇹ was a glottal stop that dropped out of the language.

As for the vowel, it was a raised dot meant to be pronounced halfway between 아 and 어. It shows up on Korean signs when they want a sort of "Ye Olde Whatever" feeling, and is today pronounced like 아, even though it is not regularly used.

Colle
542179.  Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote

Ah, thank you for clearing that up. So technically my name could have been written with ᅀ back then. But I've grown accustomed to 수잔 (with a ㅈ) so I don't mind. ^,^x

Ian Dunn
696761.  Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote

North Korea has a comedy show on it's state run TV called It's So Funny, but all the comedy is vetted.

Source: ABC News

Ian Dunn
717296.  Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote

Recently the North Korean flag was flown over Middlesbrough Town Hall.

The reason for this is that North Korea is in the World Cup, the two places are an interesting footballing relationship.

In the 1966 World Cup, North Korea played at Ayresome Park, and defeated Italy 1-0, in what is probably the biggest upset in the history of the tournament.

Following the victory, 3,000 Teessiders travelled to Goodison Park to support North Korea in the quarter finals, but they lost 5-3 to Portugal, despite havng a 3-0 lead.

I came across this rather funny quote in my local paper today with regards to the side.

Anthony Vickers wrote:
Let's not mince words about North Korea.

It is a secretive Stalinist state with a slave labour military economy on a permanent combat footing, it is ruled by a rabid and paranoid single party dictatorship who have isolated a starving, subdued population behind a political firewall to prevent contamination by the evils of capitalism, it is an international pariah prone to erratic diplomatic brinkmanship and barely sane nuclear sabre-rattling, and it is technically still at war with Britain.

But I'll be urging them on in South Africa... well, you've got to support your local team.

Source: Evening Gazette

Ian Dunn
743040.  Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote

In the latest with regards to Middlesbrough/North Korean relations, the Middlesbrough F.C. women's team are playing in North Korea - the first British team ever to do so.

Source: ABC 27

TchmilFan
783759.  Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote

Admiral Yi Sun-sin (24/4/1545 - 16/12/1598)

Why interesting? Arguably the most successful Naval commander ever and you've never heard of him.
Klaxon: Nelson

He was an outstanding commander. Really. No, really. So good, that after you read about him you'll wonder why he's isn't famous outside Korea. Most active during the Japanese invasions of 1592 and 1597

23 sea battles, won them all. No naval training. Broke his leg during officer exams, eventually got in - at age 32 - did so well in the army that jealous superiors got him demoted, climbed back up in the Navy.
Organised training, stores, ship building and intelligence. In 1592, won at least 15 battles against the japanese... they plotted against him using a double agent and he was stripped of rank again, tortured and charged with treason. While being transported for the trial was reinstated after another admiral lost most of the fleet. Then went out and basically kicked the Japanese fleet's arse with only 13 (or 12) ships. See Battle of Myeongnyang below.
Died from possible stray bullet while in contact with the enemy

While he was about it, also revived and improved the "Turtle Ship" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turtle_Ship

w***pedia's entry on him is actually quite good, well worth reading and does a far better job than I can do here.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yi_Sun-sin or if you can't bring yourself to go there you can try Koreanhero.net.... http://www.koreanhero.net/en/home.htm

Most impressive bit? The Battle of Myeongnyang

Quote:
In the Battle of Myeongnyang, on October 26, 1597, the Korean admiral Yi Sun-sin fought the Japanese navy at sea in Myeongnyang Strait, near Jindo Island. With only the 13 ships remaining from Won Gyun's disastrous defeat at the Battle of Chilchonryang, Admiral Yi Sunsin held the strait against a fleet of 133 Japanese warships and at least 200 Japanese support ships. Many Japanese warships were sunk or disabled during the battle and the Japanese were forced to retreat. Given the disparity in numbers, the battle is regarded as one of Admiral Yi's most remarkable victories.

From KoreanHero.net, but with a couple of edits
Quote:
1545. 8th day of 3rd moon. Born!
1552. His family moved to Asan, the country home of the family.
1564. Married to the daughter of Pang Chin, a military officer.
1566. Started practice in archery and drilling necessary for military service.
1572. In the 8th moon. He fell from horseback and broke his left leg while he was taking the military service examination.
1576. 2nd moon. Passed military service examination. 12th moon. Appointed the Acting Commandant of Fortress Tonggubi, Hamgyung Province.
1579. Appointed staff captain to the Army Commander of Chungcheong Province.
1580. 7th moon. Appointed Naval commandant of Palpo, Cholla Province.
1583. 7th moon. Staff officer of the Hamgyong Army Commander.
10th moon. Appointed Acting Commander of Konwon Fortress, and destroyed the Jurchen forces.
11th moon. Appointed Staff Officer of Military Training Command.
15 th day of 11th moon. His father Chong passed away. Resigned his official post in accordance with the custom of the society, which required a mourner to withdraw himself from official posts for two years.
1586. Appointed Garrison Captain of Chosan Fortress, Hamgyung Province.
1587. Dismissed from the post and enlisted as common soldier owing to the jealousy of Yi Il. Army Commander of Hamgyung.
1588. 6th moon. Returned home.
1589. 2nd moon. Appointed Staff Officer of Cholla Commissioner.
11th moon. Appointed Concurrent Transmitter-Commissioner.
12th moon. Appointed Magistrate of Chongup Prefecture.
1591. 13th day of 2nd moon. Appointed Navy Commander of Left Cholla Province.
1592. Completed the Turtle Ship before the Hideyoshi Invasion started.
13th day of 4th moon. Japanese forces invaded Korea.
5th moon. The first campaign at Okpo with the signal victory of the Admiral.
6th moon. The second campaign at Tangpo with the victory of the Admiral.
7th moon. Defeated the Japanese Navy in the Hansan campaign.
9th moon. Fourth campaign at Busan-po with his victory.
1593. 2nd moon. Defeated Japanese fleet at Ungpo.
7th moon. Moved his fleet to Hansan-do.
8th moon. Appointed Tongjesa, Supreme Naval Commamder of the Three Provinces.
1594. 7th day of 3rd moon. Submitted his objection to the peace negotiation proposed by Ming Chinese envoy Tan.
6th of 4th moon. Held provisional Military Examination at Hansan-do to recruit sailors.
9th moon. Defeated the enemy at Changmunpo.
1595. 2nd moon. Submitted a memorial to be transfered from his present post because of the criticism by Admiral Won Kyun.
Refused.
1597. 2nd moon. Placed under arrest at Hansan-do.
4th day of 3rd moon. Imprisoned at Seoul.
1st day of 4th moon. Released under the order to enlist as a soldier under the Field Marshall Kwon Yul.
11th day of 4th moon. His mother passed away.
7th moon. Admiral Won Kyun (who replaced admiral Yi Sun-sin) was defeated by Japanese fleet and beheaded in his refuge.
22nd day of 7th moon. Appointed Supreme Naval Commander.
8th moon. Resumed his duty. All he could gather was 12 ships and 120 sailors.
9th moon. Had a great victory in the campaign at Uldolmok (Myongnyang).
10th moon. The third son Myon died in a fight against the Japanese Army at his home, Asan.
1598. 2nd moon. Moved his Navy to Kogum-do.
7th moon, Organized United Naval Forces with the Ming Chinese commodore Chen Lien.
19th day of 11th moon. Died in the final victorious fight against the retreating Japanese.

A very different bio is on BadAssOfTheWeek.com http://www.badassoftheweek.com/admiralyi.html (I recommend you dip in there every so often, there are some extremely interesting, er, Bad Asses.)

Big, big hero in Korea.

Honestly, read up. You'll be very impressed.[/url]

Last edited by TchmilFan on Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jenny
784182.  Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote

Thank you TchmilFan - what an interesting character, and I'd never heard of him before.

TchmilFan
784298.  Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Just re-read the original post... time for some edits!

CB27
784306.  Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote

Thanks for that post. I have a feeling I've seen a film or programme about some of the aspects of this story because the sound familiar, but it's certainly worth looking at.

Zebra57
1107346.  Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Open for cyber-business again in the northern sector I hear.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next