View previous topic | View next topic

Tonights repeat of Qi 05/01/05

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Alice
13002.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:04 pm Reply with quote

Gray
I can't find the link I'm looking for but this backs up what I'm saying ish
You see my issue with the old vibrations through the jaw only theory is it would surely suggest that they cannot hear airborne sounds. Yes/NO?
But the evidence is the can process airborne sounds.

http://www.anapsid.org/torrey.html

Flash
13009.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote

Actually, it's Alan who says "they don't have ears". Stephen replies:
Quote:
You're sort of right, until recently that was exactly what was thought, because they don't appear to have any, but in fact when you go inside, they've now discovered, they do have otic nerves and a whole system which responds electrically to sound.

So that's all right, then.

Alice
13010.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:56 pm Reply with quote

Um don't yell,
I know I always disagree but I think that was in a different episode the one about snake charming or have I just lost it entirely.

Flash
13012.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote

I'm quoting from the 2nd series music special, the one with Sean Lock, Mark Gatiss and Linda Smith, first broadcast on BBC2 the week before Christmas. Are we talking about a different one?

Alice
13014.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:21 pm Reply with quote

yes we are talking dave Gorman Jo Brand and jeremy harding

Flash
13019.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:41 pm Reply with quote

Oh, OK, first series. Nothing to do with me.

Alice
13021.  Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Oh so the jolty editing wasn't you then
Fair enough
Damn brilliant show regardless, always is
Last series we had was the absolute bees knees though.
Hysterical

Gray
13033.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote

Well, I sit very much corrected! I just believed what they told me in the zoo, where I worked with snakes for a while. It just shows - never hesitate to disagree - it's one of the only ways we have of learning anything! :-)

I was aware that they could process low-frequency sounds, in much the same way as you can 'feel' the bass through your skull if it's loud enough, but this doesn't really rely on ears.

I'm slightly suspicious in that I've not heard of this research before, and nothing else I've read on herps mentions it (which you might think would be the case if it was done in the 1970s), but it seems reasonable. Have you found any other references that agree with their findings. Not that I doubt them, but am just surprised that no other 'authorities' mention this as far as I've found in the past.

http://www.anapsid.org/snakehearing.html goes into some mechanics as well, which is QI.

dotcom
13042.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:08 am Reply with quote

I do hope the repeats of the first series will become a regular thing, I very much enjoyed last night's episode and I am even now furious with myself for missing the entire first series and some of the second.

Flash
13046.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:26 am Reply with quote

Gray - here's some stuff I found when researching the question for series 2. I'm no expert, though:
Quote:
A few decades ago the answer (to the question "can snakes hear?" - F) was no, for - obviously - snakes don't have external ears. And any way, snakes don't appear to respond to loud noises. Further support for this view is found in some current zoology texts, which still report that snakes lack the sense of hearing. But research begun about 35 years ago, especially the extensive investigations over many years by E.G. Wever and associates at Princeton University, has shown that snakes have a hearing capability(at least in an electrophysiological sense) comparable to that of lizards.

This should not be too surprising, for snakes and lizards share some common features and are thought to have common ancestors.

So how can a snake hear, lacking external ears? By having equivalent structures on each side of its head. The skin and muscle tissue on each side of the head cover a loosely suspended bone, called the quadrate, which undergoes small displacements in response to airborne sound. The quadrate motion is transferred by intermediate structures to the cochlea, which produces electrical signals on its hair cells that correlate with the airborne sounds (within a range of intensity and frequency determined by the ear system) and are transferred to the brain.

Cochlear signals are present in functioning ears of all classes of vertebrates from fish to mammals, while animals that are congenitally deaf produce no such signals, so their presence in response to sound is taken as an indication of the hearing sense. Wever and co-workers [1] developed techniques to measure the hair-cell signals in lizards, snakes, and amphibians, which involved anesthetizing the specimen, inserting a very thin wire probe into contact with a hair cell, and measuring the acoustic signal level needed to produce a specified hair-cell signal (typically 0.1 microvolt). Various experiments were performed to demonstrate that the hair-cell signals were in direct response to airborne sound and not to mechanical vibrations from the medium on which the specimens were placed.

According to Porter [2], the auditory response of snakes in the range of 200 to 300 Hz is superior to that of cats. Hartline and Campbell [3] investigated the transmission of airborne sound through the snake's skin and lung into the inner ear. Wever's results show that this type of transmission, called the somatic mode, is much reduced compared to that through the skin to the quadrate, which is the main mode of hearing.

How are the cochlear responses to be interpreted? Wever points out that it is often difficult to determine the role of hearing in lower forms such as reptiles. It is possible that snakes make less use of the auditory sense than other animals. He notes that the maximum sensitivity occurs in the frequency range of noise made by movements of large animals, so detection of such sounds could function as a warning to snakes to be motionless, a common defensive action with animals. (Although not discussed in the references I was able to check, there is also the question of how the cochlear signals are used in the snake brain. Is it possible that the ability to process this information has been or is being lost?)

http://www.anapsid.org/torrey.html

Quote:
As most people should know by now (from various documentaries, books and who knows how many TV specials) snakes lack external ears. This is sometimes misinterpreted as having no ears, which is false. Snakes do have ears, inner ears that allow them to hear low frequency airborne vibrations. But snakes have another more acute way of hearing, they hear with their jaw.

Strange as it might sound, it is true. Ground vibrations are transmitted through the snakes body to the quadrate bone (the connection between the lower jaw and skull) where it later goes the middle ear bone (columella) and then to the inner ear.

This means that a snake will always hear you coming before you even see it.

http://reptilis.net/serpentes/senses.html
Quote:
The hearing in snakes and some lizards is not as we understand it. They do not have an external ear opening. They are not deaf, just lack the ability to detect high frequencies of sound conveyed through the air. They do hear or more correctly feel low frequencies, and have a tremendous ability to detect the most subtle of vibrations transmitted through sand, leaflitter, dried grasses and to a lesser degree hard ground.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bush/s&l.html

laidbacklazyman
13048.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:34 am Reply with quote

what's happening with the repeats? I mean am I going to need to update my sie already? if so any series one info would be welcomed.

Alice
13049.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:36 am Reply with quote

Flash
I know you addressed it to Gray
But your first source was the one I've already quoted to gray
And the other two are refering to traditional beliefs about jaw bone conduction of vibrations which isn't hearing as such

Natalie
13051.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote

Does anyone know when another repeaat of QI will be on? Tomorrow or wednesday??

Flash
13054.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quote

Fair enough, Alice - I was just cut'n'pasting my research notes.

As for repeats, I don't know what's happening other than by looking in the listings, I'm afraid.

Natalie
13058.  Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote

Ok. Ta anyway.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next