View previous topic | View next topic

The Use of " 's "

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Gaazy
130949.  Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote

But no! - the rule about the apostrophe following the 's' at the end of a plural noun is an unviolable one.

To quote Flash, in an earlier post:

Flash wrote:
"Girls's"? I don't think so.

mckeonj
131050.  Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quote

There was a convocation of the heads of various religious orders at Glastonbury during the summer of 486 AD. The weather was atrocious, heavy rain for forty days and nights, and the area became a quagmire of mud, stirred up by the feet of the priors and abbots as they processed, recessed, and prayed. In particular, the long white habits of the abbesses became besmirched and mired. In fact, it could be said that the abbesses had dirty habits. One fastidious prioress was heard to say:
"The abbesses' habits are filthy!"

BondiTram
131306.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
BondiTram wrote:
All the others are already possessive, one's is not.

Oh, but I disagree. 'One's' is the only acceptable way of writing the non-gender-specific possessive.

But surely 'one' is not possessive. It only becomes so when an 's' is added, therefore needs an apostrophe. Whereas 'their', 'your', 'his', 'her', 'our', are.

Way I look at it anyway but must admit that I am not a person that uses 'one' or 'one's' in everyday speech. A bit Princess Anny IMO.

Funny thing is though, in French an alternative way of saying 'we', 'nous', is 'on'. I know that this is plural not singular but QIly the verb ending which follows is the same as the 3rd person singular. ie. On mange instead of nous mangeons. Very useful, one less ending to remember.

Anyway, to drag myself back to 'one', I learn from my Lexibase wizard that 'on' can be used as a translation of .........'one'.
As well as 'you' 'they' 'people' 'someone' 'anyone'.

Strewth I didn't know all that, see what you started Gaazy!
But the connection I always suspected exists.
Still doesn't answer your question though :-(

violetriga
131314.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:49 pm Reply with quote

As long as nobody starts using "Burglarize". Eww!

Gaazy
131325.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:33 pm Reply with quote

BondiTram wrote:
Gaazy wrote:
BondiTram wrote:

Oh, but I disagree. 'One's' is the only acceptable way of writing the non-gender-specific possessive.

But surely 'one' is not possessive.

Well, quite. But your previous assertion was that 'one's' was not a possessive - that's entirely different from saying (correctly) than 'one' is not.

Gaazy
131326.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:35 pm Reply with quote

To (attempt to) clarify further - 'one's' is just as much a possessive as 'John's' is.

Fowler classifies it as a possessive pronoun, and if 'one' is a pronoun (which it is), then 'one's' is a possessive pronoun, in exactly the way 'its', 'my' etc. are.

samivel
131484.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:22 am Reply with quote

I've just been shopping, and the supermarket is one of those which contains a clothing department. In this part of the store, use of 's seems to be forbidden, as the sections are labelled mens, womens and childrens.

Gaazy
131530.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote

QIly the apostrophe disappears in compound forms, so it's menswear, childrenswear etc. (though to my eyes they look as though derived from 'men swear' and 'children swear', much as 'manslaughter' always looks to me like 'man's laughter').

People who have 'Therapist' on their business plates also pose me a word-splitting problem.

Jenny
131694.  Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:03 pm Reply with quote

Additionally, the word 'weeknight' always looks like a tiny little knight to me.

samivel
131728.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:26 am Reply with quote

I always think of 'together' as 'to get her', but I reckon that's the fault of my primary school teacher, because she told us to think of that in order to spell it correctly.

Eishkimojo
131923.  Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:07 pm Reply with quote

http://www.penisland.net/

Go on.

You know you want to.

BondiTram
131963.  Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
[Well, quite. But your previous assertion was that 'one's' was not a possessive - that's entirely different from saying (correctly) than 'one' is not.

Well what I actually said was :

Quote:

perhaps I should have emphasised the 'already' the first time. Anyway that is what I meant and I can see why you may have misunderstood and no doubt you can now see why I misunderstood your misunderstanding.

One now hopes that, one's position is now clear and, harmony and light return.
:-)

Captain Howdy
142329.  Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:14 pm Reply with quote

Eishkimojo wrote:

Go on.

You know you want to.

A thing of beauty and a joy forever.

It reminds me of the (probably apocryphal) story that when Newcastle Poly was changing over to a university, its new name was set to be the Central University of Newcastle upon Tyne until somebody spotted a potential acronym problem....

samivel
142349.  Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:17 pm Reply with quote

I expect that is apocryphal, as some versions call the proposed institution 'Central' and others 'City'. Incidentally, 'City' would seem to make more sense, as Newcastle can hardly be considered Central.

Gaazy
142364.  Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:07 am Reply with quote

Eishkimojo wrote:

Go on.

You know you want to.

I assume you already know about this village in North Wales?

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next