View previous topic | View next topic

NORFOLK ISLAND

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Lumpo31
258865.  Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 am Reply with quote

Norfolk Island is not strictly a country, but not strictly not a country either.

Semi-self-governing, under the auspices of Australia, but passes its own laws. What isn’t covered by Norfolk Island law, or Australian law, generally comes under English Common Law.

Norfolk Island lies 500 miles SSE of Noumea, 700 miles NW of Auckland, 900 miles east of Brisbane and 1100 miles NE of Sydney.

CIA World Fact Book wrote:
Norfolk Island is a self governing territory of Australia; administered from Canberra by the Department of Transport and Regional Services
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/nf.html#Govt

This isn’t strictly true, particularly if you ask any Norfolk Islander. Their stance is that the original Pitcairn Islander setters were granted the island by Queen Victoria, and so therefore it’s a self-governing British protectorate, not dissimilar to Pitcairn itself. Still, the currency is the Australian dollar, they do however issue their own stamps, and are not subject to Australian taxes. Most children go to Australia or New Zealand for their secondary education.

Norfolk Island has been knowingly colonised 3 times; twice as a penal settlement from Sydney, and once by Pitcairn Island descendants of the Bounty Mutineers and their Tahitian wives. Both penal colony settlements failed, and not all of the first Pitcairn settlers chose to stay, returning not long after to Pitcairn Island.

Norfolk Island Stamps wrote:
In 1774 Captain James Cook discovered the island and named it after a "Noble" English family. Of Norfolk he wrote, "It is an island Paradise" and reported,"it is a very fertile and uninhabited". Fourteen years later on the March 1788, the ship "Supply" commanded by Lt P.G. King, arrived with a party of 23:including 9 male and 6 female convicts, to settle on the island. Philip King was reputed to have described Norfolk as, "the Maderia of the Pacific".
http://www.g8xqa.fsnet.co.uk/

Cook thought the Norfolk Island pines which covered the island would be useful for ships masts. When Lt King arrived, he discovered the wood wasn’t sturdy enough for the job. Still, Norfolk Island Pines are quite well-known to anyone who’s been to an Australian beach, they’re the tall trees with long spikey “leaves”, reminiscent of monkey puzzle trees. In fact, the two species are closely related. Norfolk Island Pine is Araucaria heterophylla, and Monkey Puzzle tree is Araucaria araucana.

Norfolk Island shares with Pitcairn Island a genetic link to the Isle of Man, through the descent of quite a lot of their inhabitants from Fletcher Christian. If Mr Christian had remained on Man he could quite possibly have been a well-known figure regardless. The Christian Family are one of the oldest on the Isle (the other of note being the Cannells), and therefore feature extensively as members of the Tynwald, the Manx parliament.

Lisa

Hugo Rune
267358.  Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote

I spent 6 months working on Norfolk Island
from July to December '83, installing the ANZCAN submarine communications cable system.

What a job that was, two months in Hawaii, then six months on NI, where the weed grew wild....

fond memories...

Lumpo31
267691.  Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote

Ah lovely!

NI is just about my favourite place in the world. Hubby, the eldest two kids and I only spent a week there, but it was enough to make a lasting impression. Maybe I shouldn't have posted about it - it's somewhere which should remain relatively untouched, but unfortunately they really need the tourist dollars, all their other money-making schemes seem to fail...When we went through Customs at Sydney we were asked why on earth we were going - after all, usually the only ones who visit are the "newly wed or nearly dead" (their opinion). Never regretted visiting though. Hubby looked briefly afterwards for jobs that might take us there, but he didn't look too seriously, so it never happened.

Bubby Evans' place, "Music Valley" (down near Bloody Bridge) was a great day out, he gave the kids bananas and showed us all his woodcraft and so on...very odd, but nice with it...

Lisa

Hugo Rune
268179.  Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote

Hi Lisa, nice to meet another who has seen that secret paradise....

What I don't understand is why the communications cable is not used any more, I checked recently and it seems to be out of use, yet we only installed it in 1983, all the way From Vancouver in Canada to Australia and New Zealand, via Hawaii and Fiji and Norfolk Island, it was a major job with cable laying ships and the whole works, but it seems to be obsolete after only 20 years, crazy.

I loved relaxing at Emily Bay, and on other days I would go out with the fishermen on their boats, hand lining for Red Snapper and Trevally, filleting them as soon as I was back onshore, then straight in the pan, mmmm.

So it is still called "the Island of newly weds and nearly deads"?

Still sounds like paradise to me.

Last edited by Hugo Rune on Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Hugo Rune
268183.  Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote

I wonder if Pommie Jeff still lives there, a wiry little man originally from Liverpool, he married a girl on the Island...

must try to find a way to communicate with them, need to find out more...

Lumpo31
268237.  Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Hugo, I've PM'd you with details about NI's webforum.

Lisa

Hugo Rune
268445.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote

Thank you.

Hugo Rune
268446.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:31 am Reply with quote

Thank you.

Lumpo31
268461.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:59 am Reply with quote

And if my mother were here she would also thank you...

No problems, have you used the NI forum yet? It was handy in light of Janelle Patton's murder those years back to see the reaction of the locals, who made it very clear the murderer wasn't one of them. As it happens...no it wasn't! It's also nice to get an insight on what issues concern the locals most of all - maybe you can ask them why they no longer use their communications cable!

Lisa

Lumpo31
268462.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:01 am Reply with quote

Ah! I've just gone to the NI site and seen that you've answered my question already! I hope you get the response you want!

Lisa

Hugo Rune
269011.  Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:15 pm Reply with quote

Yeah, thanks again Lisa, but it seems to be a bit quiet there, I'll just have to wait and see.

Lumpo31
269161.  Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote

You need to have something happen over there's that's a bit contraversial, like an election, or the Australian Govt threatening to overrun them as they often do, or a murder...

They'll get around to you sometime.

Have you tried the NI phone book?
http://www.norfolk.gov.nf/telephone%20book.htm

The good thing is it has the mobile phone numbers in it as well. What they really need though is a searchable e-mail address book, but oh well, can't have everything!

Lisa

Hugo Rune
269658.  Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:05 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

Have you tried the NI phone book?
http://www.norfolk.gov.nf/telephone%20book.htm

Lisa

That is brilliant!!! thank you.

Only problem is, I can't remember anyones surname, but, I do have a bit of credit on skype, I might just have a play around, call some random numbers and ask for Pommie Jeff, could be a laugh

Hugo Rune
269663.  Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote

Lumpo31 wrote:

Norfolk Island shares with Pitcairn Island a genetic link to the Isle of Man, through the descent of quite a lot of their inhabitants from Fletcher Christian. If Mr Christian had remained on Man he could quite possibly have been a well-known figure regardless. The Christian Family are one of the oldest on the Isle (the other of note being the Cannells), and therefore feature extensively as members of the Tynwald, the Manx parliament.

Lisa

I see I was mistaken, I thought their roots were in Cornwall, Thanks for that.

Lumpo31
269686.  Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:17 am Reply with quote

Hugo Rune wrote:
I see I was mistaken, I thought their roots were in Cornwall, Thanks for that.
I was also mistaken when I said Christian was vaguely related to the Wordsworths; I think William and Dorothy were cousins of some sort, he definitely went to school if only briefly, with William. There's a story that once on Pitcairn he somehow made it back to the Lake District, or otherwise somehow had some correspondence with Wordsworth, who was able to relate his story to Coleridge, who went on to base his "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" on Christian...

There's some interesting stuff here. I was mistaken about Christian coming from Man; he himself was born in the Lake District, but his family in Man were Deemsters (and still serve in the Parliament, so I should say if he'd gone back to his family in Man instead of joining the Navy he would possibly have been known as an important Manxman).

Nonetheless and interesting character; I'd like to think he made his way back to England, but who knows! Stranger things have happened at sea...

Lisa

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next