View previous topic | View next topic

Hedgehog

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Kit
127567.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:51 am Reply with quote

Unlike Anglian Water I like Hedgehogs so I thought they should be listed.

In case you're wondering there are no hedgehog ramps in the cattle grids around Rutland Water and though I've written to Anglian Water about this oversight they have not answered me or done anything about it.

By the way Anglian Water manage Rutland Water I wasn't just picking on them at random.

Tatty
127794.  Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:27 am Reply with quote

Did you know that a unit of Swiss Landsknechts used a hedgehog on their battle flag?

It was originally thought to be a badly drawn boar but research has shown it to be a hedgehog. It is not in the traditional pose of an heraldic hedgehog (aka urchin, herisson and the ericus) but passant.

Ian Dunn
127863.  Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:53 am Reply with quote

Sonic the Hedgehog, possibly the most famous hedgehog in the world was born on Christmas Island, according to early material written by the Sonic Team, who are responsible for developing the games.

Sonic the Hedgehog on Wikipedia

Sonic the Hedgehog Technical Files - Source for Christmas Island fact

Tas
127866.  Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

Will he die, and be resurrected on Easter Island?

:-)

Tas

samivel
127912.  Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:30 pm Reply with quote

lol

Lucias_Falconius_Tiberius
132595.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote

Did you know there was no name for a baby hedgehog before the 1990's hedgehog (enthusiasts) gave it a name in the early 1990's called a hoglet.

grimwig
132631.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:25 am Reply with quote

Can you still get Hedgehog crisps?

suze
132663.  Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:31 am Reply with quote

My first thought was along the lines of what ...

But a bit of Googling reveals that there really was such a product available in Britain in the 1980s - although no longer it seems.

When first brought to the market, they were called "hedgehog flavoured crisps" but this provoked an intervention by Trading Standards types - the crisps were in fact roast pork flavoured.

The inventor - a Welshman named Lewis - then commissioned some Romany travellers and a flavourings company to come up with an artifical flavouring with really did taste like hedgehog, and brought his product back to market as "hedgehog flavour crisps".

They still didn't contain actual hedgehogs.

Another bit of hedgehog trivia - there are no hedgehogs in the Americas, so when Bob the Builder was sold to North America the voiceover was redubbed to call them porcupines.

grimwig
133008.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote

Thanks for that suze.

I do recall that no-one actually believed them to contain hedgehog, but I think they did claim to contain genuine hedgehog on the packet, but as they have gone the way of the spangle I shall probably never prove this

dr.bob
133020.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:43 am Reply with quote

I remember hedgehog flavoured crisps. You're right that nobody was under the impression that they contained real hedgehog. I believe that the bags boasted how some of the profits were helping to fund a hedgehog charity so you were in fact helping to save hedgehogs by eating the crisps.

Frances
137626.  Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:22 am Reply with quote

I've got slugs; I don't want to use slug poison, as it kills birds; where can I get a hedgehog? The Hedgehog Trust never return my calls.

I got some toads from Jenny, many years ago, but haven't seen them for ages. Maybe they're just shy. As an alternative to hedgehogs - can anybody out there help me?

BondiTram
137978.  Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:29 am Reply with quote

Frances wrote:
I've got slugs; I don't want to use slug poison, as it kills birds; where can I get a hedgehog? The Hedgehog Trust never return my calls.

I got some toads from Jenny, many years ago, but haven't seen them for ages. Maybe they're just shy. As an alternative to hedgehogs - can anybody out there help me?

I agree on the desirability of hedgehogs and toads.
I had one in the garden a couple of years ago which the dogs barked at but wisely didn't touch. But none since, even in the compost heap.
There was a large toad living, I think, under the house. His name is Buffo - do you think he understands Latin? He has sat on the terrace in the summer (we put the terrace light on and the room lights out for half an hour before closing the shutters. Keeps the bugs away from the door windows and provides plenty of opportunity for study) waiting for supper, but haven't seen him for a long time. Once he was in the bedroom, can't think why. My early-morning-call-dog tripped over him and sent him tumbling but otherwise left him alone. I carefully returned him to his own house.
I had a frog in my deep pond, the one I constructed for swimming in, watching me with a wary eye.
I'm pacing the garden watching for signs of slug destroying natural regeneration.

Jenny
138064.  Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote

Frances - I found that burying yogurt pots half-full of beer worked very well for slug-slaughtering purposes. Putting crushed eggshells or sharp gravel around particularly treasured plants is supposed to work too, because the slugs don't like crawling over it.

Frances
138599.  Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:28 pm Reply with quote

My slugs are tough - or subterranean. Slugs sneers at shells, since locksmiths are in short supply. I may have to try the beer, though it seems a waste.

dr.bob
138719.  Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:42 am Reply with quote

Try using the cheapest beer you can find. Tesco Value Lager springs to mind, although that might be unduly cruel on the slugs.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next