snophlake
127341.  Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:45 am Reply with quote

There is a type of penguin called the Macaroni (Eudyptes chrysolophus).[/i]

samivel
127364.  Sun Dec 17, 2006 1:28 pm Reply with quote

I like the chocolate ones best.

dr.bob
127528.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:42 am Reply with quote

Macaroni penguins look almost identical to rock hopper penguins. I'm assured they are two distinct species but are almost impossible to distinguish by sight.

Penguins are not limited to Antarctica. Three species live in tropical waters, one as far north as the Galapagos islands.

Channel 5 is starting its "Penguin Week" at 7:15pm tonight :)

grizzly
127534.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:47 am Reply with quote

One must wonder if there are more flightless birds in the world than there are ones that can fly (chickens of course are the most numerous birds in the world so that is a good start).

96aelw
127545.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:15 am Reply with quote

But are they not rendered flightless, rather than inherently so? In which case, do they count?

smiley_face
127595.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:15 am Reply with quote

Penguins fall over when looking up at low flying aircraft, but they can't get back up again. Which is sad, you know.

(and yes I know that's going to earn me a klaxon, but someone had to say it!)

eggshaped
127625.  Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote

Macaroni penguins get their name from the yellow plumage on their heads. Macaroni was a nickname for any flash, overdressed young man who wore feathers in his cap (a style copied from Italy).

c.f. Yankee Doodle.

http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/penguins/mac.html

(yes, I am working my way through the animals thread)

Prof Wind Up Merchant
133223.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:03 pm Reply with quote

Right my favourite animal.

There are 17 species and they are:

Adele

African

Chinstrap

Emperor

Erect Crested

Fiordland

Galapogos

Gentoo

Humboldt

King

Little blue

Macaroni

Magellanic

Rockhopper

Royal

Snares

Yellow-Eyed

Check out this URL.

http://www.penguins.cl/penguins-species.htm

legspin
133227.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quote

Is it true that the word penguin comes from the Welsh for 'seabird'?

suze
133262.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote

Not quite.

The etymology of penguin is disputed, and there is a distinct lack of hard evidence for any of the theories.

One theory is that it is indeed Welsh (or possibly Breton), from pen gwyn (= white head). Now if you've looked at the pictures above, you may have noticed that most penguins do not in fact have white heads. It seems that the word penguin originally referred to the great auk or gazefowl, an extinct bird of Newfoundland - but those birds didn't have white heads either, so the notion runs into trouble.

There are those who claim that the word is derived from the Latin pinguis (= fat), and yet others who reckon it comes from "pin wing", since penguins have short wings. The OED notes all these theories and in the absence of any hard evidence, concludes that the etymology is obscure.

legspin
133276.  Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:45 pm Reply with quote

Ah

indigo fugit
133694.  Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:16 pm Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
Penguins fall over when looking up at low flying aircraft, but they can't get back up again. Which is sad, you know.

(and yes I know that's going to earn me a klaxon, but someone had to say it!)

Not true. Unlike Jesus they get straight back up.

It took him 3 days and a game of marbles.

It is true that during the Falklands Conflict RAF pilots were disciplined for playing skittles with the penguins.

They were flying low above the little fellows and having bets as to who could topple the most.

Prof Wind Up Merchant
258586.  Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote

On a serious note because of global warming, the ice on which they live is under threat. We must ensure they are preserved along with other creatures.

Lumpo31
258617.  Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:49 pm Reply with quote

Just looked at your penguin pics, Prof, and your Little Blue Penguin is only known as such in New Zealand. In Australia it's called a Fairy Penguin or a Little Penguin.

Lisa

Fontanelle
258631.  Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:56 pm Reply with quote

They are really lovely to look at, although at first I thought the thread was about the great publishing house.

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next