View previous topic | View next topic

Nominative Determinism - Slight Return

Page 7 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

suze
776526.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote

Yes. The corresponding name for women, Kaur, means "princess".

So if, as is made clear, there can be woman Singhs then the doctor's brochure probably ought to note that he is a man. Mind you, there's also a photograph of him and he has a beard, so few will actually have been in much doubt!

Jenny
776539.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:46 pm Reply with quote

Not necessarily:

sjb
776625.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:46 pm Reply with quote

You just blew my mind. :)

Peregrine Arkwright
776678.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
Not necessarily:

Not so much a blow job, then, more a case of scrotal exfoliation. I wonder if she had to shave past her knees?

hassan el kebir
776734.  Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:41 am Reply with quote

It's Billy Connolly in drag

djgordy
776781.  Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:52 am Reply with quote

"If Pamela can get on Strictly, so can I".

djgordy
781573.  Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 am Reply with quote

I was in the sauna at the gym this afternoon (see "How Was Your Day") and one of the chaps there said "I'm a Freemason. One of my firends there died before Christmas. Alan Crapper his name was."

I made a swift exit before the thought of A. Crapper joining the Free Masons became too much and I burst out laughing.

Ainee
781641.  Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote

sjbodell wrote:
You just blew my mind. :)

And mine.

Ainee

Ainee
781644.  Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:22 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
I was in the sauna at the gym this afternoon (see "How Was Your Day") and one of the chaps there said "I'm a Freemason. One of my firends there died before Christmas. Alan Crapper his name was."

I made a swift exit before the thought of A. Crapper joining the Free Masons became too much and I burst out laughing.

Bravo. A jolly good show of Classic English Gentleman's Restraint by that sweat-panted Chap.

Ainee

Ainee
781652.  Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:42 pm Reply with quote

Peregrine Arkwright wrote:

Jenny wrote:
Not necessarily:

Not so much a blow job, then, more a case of scrotal exfoliation. I wonder if she had to shave past her knees?

Gosh, Perry, is all you ever basically think about sex?

Please re-edit for exactitude

I do empathise with your problem. The Silent Nun for 33 years also said that she thought about sex all the time too, and whatever she thought about, basically descended down to sex.

I think there is no cure for this ailment.

Ainee

NinOfEden
781973.  Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Yes. The corresponding name for women, Kaur, means "princess".

So if, as is made clear, there can be woman Singhs then the doctor's brochure probably ought to note that he is a man. Mind you, there's also a photograph of him and he has a beard, so few will actually have been in much doubt!

I studied Sikhism for GCSE RE; Although the general consensus from most sources was that Singh meant 'lion' + Kaur was 'Princess', I also saw that some textbooks had Singh as meaning 'Prince' or Kaur as 'lioness'. I wondered if perhaps the words for each were similar, if the Indian ruling classes at the time were known as 'lion people' or something.

Moosh
782008.  Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Well the lion is the King of the Jungle you know :P

Bear in mind that not everyone using the word Singh is speaking the same language, even if they are related, so the meaning of words may change depending on who you talk to. Before I really knew any Sikh people, I knew Singh as a royal title, as used by Maharaja Shri Gaj Singh II (who still rules in Jodhpur, regardless of what some bureaucrats in New Delhi may think) where the lion connotation is recognised, but played down.

Spud McLaren
795632.  Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:35 am Reply with quote

On Saturday 14th March 1992, Cardiff band Violent Storm were booked to play for the NS Accion Radical in Spain (which might tell you something about their ideology). On the morning of Friday the 13th March 1992, Violent Storm made their way in, erm, a violent storm along the M4 motorway to the airport near Bristol. Reports differ here:

1) The car they were travelling in suddenly went out of control and slid into a ditch.
2) The car they were travelling in was picked up by a gust of wind and smashed into a bridge.

Paul Casey, Brian and Darren Sheeley and their friend Jason Oakes all were killed. There was one survivor.

Is this in the right thread, or is there one for just plain irony?

sjb
806945.  Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:22 am Reply with quote

Just realized that the Kentucky Commissioner of Agriculture is named Richie Farmer. Hah!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richie_Farmer

Also, his wife just filed for divorce a couple of weeks ago. You all don't need/want to know that, I'm sure, but as he's running for Lieutenant-Governor this year I think it will come into play there. (He's a Republican.)

Neotenic
806973.  Mon Apr 18, 2011 4:49 am Reply with quote

I couldn't help but notice that the outgoing CEO of 888.com, where one can place bets on horse races, is called Gigi Levy.

Page 7 of 15
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next