View previous topic | View next topic

Nominative Determinism - Slight Return

Page 6 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

djgordy
772141.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:34 am Reply with quote

The producer of Radio 4's "Farming Today" is Anne-Marie Bullock.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00tyr14

RLDavies
772203.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote

Telegraph readers have been enlivening the letters page with their own examples for about a week. We've had:

The Meat and Livestock Commission had Mr Lamb as marketing manager and Mr Bullock as press officer.

The head of the Greater London Council's transport division was Rick Shaw.

The choreographer Benjamin Millepied.

A bank manager called I Rich, and another called Mr Borrow.

A driving test examiner called I Passmore. (But he failed the correspondent's mother.)

A dentist called Mr Phang.

A funeral director called Mr Stiff, and a vicar called Mr Coffin. The leading undertakers in Cape Town were once Human and Pitt.

A pharmacy notice stating "the responsible pharmacist is Ernest Killer". The correspondent wondered who the irresponsible one was.

The high street in Woburn Sands, Bedfordshire, included Mr Gander the game dealer, Mr Dancer the shoe repairer, and Mr Albone the butcher.

"Cycling to school in Cardiff, I daily passed a house with the ominous sign: A Savage Dentist."

A headmaster called Mr Fear.

"When I taught in London, the head cook of the school was called Miss Pantry. Then she got married and became Mrs Baker."

And a trio of dinner ladies in Kent during the Second World War, named Mrs Wilde, Mrs Rabbit, and Mrs Pye.

Jenny
772257.  Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:40 am Reply with quote

We have a dentist near here whose sign reads 'Nano dentistry', which always conjures a picture in my mind of a tiny weeny dentist busily climbing about in people's mouths.

NinOfEden
772536.  Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote

My Nan used to have a dentist called Mr. Dent.
She once had an appointment at 2:30.

RLDavies
772703.  Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote

I've got to quote today's letters page:

Quote:
In court I once defended an alleged drugs dealer. The three prosecution witnesses were PCs Hassle, Crusham, and Plante, all from the police drugs squad unit.

Even the judge, a crusty old fellow, saw the funny side of this.

djgordy
775293.  Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:21 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Dr John Fish of Aberystwyth University is also an MBE for services to the fishing industry and marine environment.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-12097899

RLDavies
775772.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:06 am Reply with quote

sjb
775940.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote

Hahahahahahaha.

Jenny
775972.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:02 pm Reply with quote

Love that one!

bobwilson
775975.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote

What is Male Obstetrics?

sjb
775979.  Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:09 pm Reply with quote

In physician directories that I've seen, the gender of the physician is generally listed as some people feel more comfortable with one gender or another. Especially when it comes to ob/gyn. (Funny enough, according to an ACOG survey 15% of women prefer male ob/gyns.)

suze
776077.  Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote

At the medical practice which I go to, there are five doctors. Four of the doctors are from the South Asian community, as are a significant proportion of the practice's patients.

And the practice's brochure does state each doctor's sex in brackets after his or her name. Except for Dr Singh, the doctor that I usually see. Is that because those who are actually bothered about the sex of their doctor will know that Dr Singh can only be a man?

NinOfEden
776329.  Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:52 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
At the medical practice which I go to, there are five doctors. Four of the doctors are from the South Asian community, as are a significant proportion of the practice's patients.

And the practice's brochure does state each doctor's sex in brackets after his or her name. Except for Dr Singh, the doctor that I usually see. Is that because those who are actually bothered about the sex of their doctor will know that Dr Singh can only be a man?

Well, I remember when I worked at the hospital, I saw several patients that were listed as female but had 'Singh' as a surname; perhaps non-Sikh women who'd married Sikh men (or had daughters by them) + just treated it as a conventional surname.

Moosh
776375.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:25 am Reply with quote

The name Singh isn't just used by Sikh's following the rules laid down by Guru Gobind Singh, it's also used as a surname, middle name or title by some Hindus, especially those from the far North of India, who don't necessarily only use it for males.

NinOfEden
776470.  Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am Reply with quote

Am I right in thinking it means 'lion'?

Page 6 of 14
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12, 13, 14  Next