View previous topic | View next topic

Cockney rhyming slang

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Gluben
126021.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:36 am Reply with quote

Can someone translate what Stephen is saying at the beginning of that episode?

He starts with "Without further teaful (?), let's have a butcher's (Butcher's hook, look) at our four bulletproofs (bulletproof vests, guests)"

"We're all three stops down from plaster but never mind, let's Georgie their orientals"

I think "Ursula Andress me Jensen" and "Eartha my dingly" mean "Press me button" and "Hit my song".

And Rory, when he talks about deceiving very thick policemen, he says a "jodroll" or "jodrule"? I can't tell what it is!

Oh, and "It's hi-de-hi and baked potato from QI"?

Ian Dunn
126028.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:03 am Reply with quote

I thought it was, "Tea for" rather than "Teaful" as in, "Tea for two, ado."

So it would be, "Without further ado, let's a look at our four guests."

Long Haired Hippy
126034.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:39 am Reply with quote

Quote:

And Rory, when he talks about deceiving very thick policemen, he says a "jodroll" or "jodrule"? I can't tell what it is!

http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/

I think he may have been being rude...

samivel
126048.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quote

Gluben wrote:
I think "Ursula Andress me Jensen" and "Eartha my dingly" mean "Press me button" and "Hit my song".

Eartha Kitt (hit) my Dingly Dell (bell)

Gluben wrote:

Goodbye and see you later, perhaps? If potato is said as p'tater, like a Cockney would say it.

CaptTimmy
126052.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:12 am Reply with quote

yes, as a matter of fact I wrote it all down and translated his entire spiel. I'm going to paraphrase it because I don't have it with me at the moment....

"All flamencos given in Pyong will score Barney, and I'll give two Sundays to anyone who can woman in and lubricant me what I'm on about."

"All answers (Flamenco Dancers- Answers) given in slang (Pyongyang- Slang) will score Double (Barney Rubble- Double) and I'll give two points (Sunday Joints- Points) to anyone who can buzz (woman does- buzz <insert statement about middle class cockney rhyming slang>) in and tell (lubricant gel- tell) me what I'm on about"

Gluben
126065.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:59 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:
Gluben wrote:

Eartha Kitt (hit) my Dingly Dell (bell)

Gluben wrote:

Goodbye and see you later, perhaps? If potato is said as p'tater, like a Cockney would say it.

Ah, I thought it was "dingly dong" for song! Oops... So what do the "three stops down from plaster" and "Georgie their orientals" mean?

96aelw
126137.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:55 pm Reply with quote

Three stops down from Plaistow, I fancy. Plaistow is a stop on the Underground. The station 3 stops down from Plaistow is Barking. Hence also the expression 'Dagenham' used to describe the truly insane, Dagenham being 3 stops past Barking.

Georgie is, I think, meant to refer to Georgie Best, therefore meaning 'test'. Orientals I can't help you with. I mean, clearly it's buzzers or some such, but I'm buggered if I know how.

Flash
126158.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote

Oriental bazaars. There doesn't seem to be a word that rhymes accurately with buzzers.

Gluben
126159.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:50 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Oriental bazaars. There doesn't seem to be a word that rhymes accurately with buzzers.

Well, I think Stephen was right when he said he wouldn't cut it as a Cockney...

gerontius grumpus
126165.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:02 pm Reply with quote

I thought a J Arthur was a shower (J Arthur Bowers potting compost) but it turns out to be something that rhymes with J Arthur Rank.

CaptTimmy
126168.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:29 pm Reply with quote

gerontius grumpus wrote:
I thought a J Arthur was a shower (J Arthur Bowers potting compost) but it turns out to be something that rhymes with J Arthur Rank.

I'm going to throw the possiblity of 'bank' out there considering that it rhymes with Rank, but I'm positive I will be corrected.

Jenny
126456.  Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:02 pm Reply with quote

Captain - think further along the alphabet. And no, it's not sank. Or tank.

CaptTimmy
126461.  Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:35 pm Reply with quote

no need to go any further Jenny, I know just how far to go.

Flash
126485.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:05 am Reply with quote

Because of where she lives Jenny is constantly trying to shoe-horn the word "Yank" into the conversation.

Jenny
126740.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:54 pm Reply with quote

Damn, you guessed it!

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next