View previous topic | View next topic

This thread is not brought to you by the letter "E"

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

sappho
125594.  Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:28 pm Reply with quote

masterfroggy wrote:
sappho wrote:

Just look at how often it is incorporated into our standard expression such as this post here.

Truely, if we were to remove the 'e', we would cause a shift in our thinking.

1 d0n't th1nk th4t t4k1ng 4w4y 4 s1ngl3 l3tt3r w1l m4k3 much d1ff3r3nc3 t0 th3 w4y p30pl3 wr1t3, 4s th3y w1ll f1nd 4 w4y s0m3h0w :)
p30pl3,1 f1nd, w1ll s0m3h0w f1nd 4w4y t0 m4k3 th3ms3lv3s kn0wn

Asbotluely you celver tnihg you. *wink* But, all you do here is subtract one symbol for another. In removing the 'e', we remove a wealth of language from our expression. I guess it's just a way of remembering just how dependant our consciousness is apon the contructs of language.

When learning another language, we learn also another way of thinking dependant on the meaning attached to the words and contexts used, which is obviously a better more common or garden example of my point here.

Ameena
125595.  Sun Dec 10, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote

I read a story once, which I think was called "The Wonderful O", about some bloke in a kingdom or whatever who declared that the letter "O" was to be banned or something. It was the second story in the book, along with "The Thirteen Clocks" (I think),

Jenny
125608.  Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:16 pm Reply with quote

This is a particularly difficult topic in Anglais for a human who has that which follows d as a part of sa nom. Pourtant, si on has a mix of Anglais and Francais, it is plus mollo.

gerontius grumpus
125610.  Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:28 pm Reply with quote

EE, I don't think I could write a message without Es in. They just seem to emerge out of thether. Appearing everywhere. They just popup when you don't expect them.

djgordy
125684.  Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:52 am Reply with quote

Ameena wrote:
I read a story once, which I think was called "The Wonderful O", about some bloke in a kingdom or whatever who declared that the letter "O" was to be banned or something. It was the second story in the book, along with "The Thirteen Clocks" (I think),

James Thurber.

dr.bob
125695.  Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:58 am Reply with quote

Discarding that symbol that is usually found following "d" and in front of "f" is not actually that tricky. Assuming you own a suitably grand vocabulary, it's simply a habit of substituting synonyms on any occasion that you find this symbol trying to push its way into your musings.

Although you must admit that, occasionally, it might imply an amount of thought to find that "bon mot". As you all know, this particular symbol occurs alarmingly commonly in this country's lingo and you'll find your brain, on many occasions, thinking up a brilliant synonym only to find that this word contains an additional proportion of that naughty symbol.

You'll also find that your wording transforms as you work within this artificial ruling, so that any forum participants who actually scan your scribblings might think that your brain is not working 100% normally.

This paragraph or four didn't burn up too much of my morning and I only had to look at a word list on two occasions.

sappho
125709.  Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:49 am Reply with quote

Bravo! *smiling and chuckling as I am* You did outstandingly!

samivel
125716.  Mon Dec 11, 2006 7:07 am Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Ameena wrote:

James Thurber.

Indeed. There's also and excellent novel called Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, wherein an island community gradually loses the right to use various letters until only L, M, N, O and P remain. I recommend it.

AsylumUtopia
126013.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:46 am Reply with quote

Difficult as it is to jot down constructs without that symbol -

We employ considerably more effort when creating sentences where everything includes the letter e.

Extreme exasperation ensues, methinks, creating sentences like the one above, especially when employment duties take precedence, time being the key restrictive aspect. Phew!

samivel
126054.  Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote

Well done AU!

:)

King of Quok
131289.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quote

Deliberately omitting a certain letter from a piece of writing produces a 'lipogram', and the most famous one in the English language is Ernest Wright's 'Gadsby' (1939) which runs to over 50,000 words and doesn't use the letter 'e' once, which was mentioned already on page 1. I don't have a copy of the novel, but I have found an extract in a linguistics book, if anyone's interested, which begins 'upon this basis I am going to show you how a bunch of bright young folks did find a champion; a man with boys and girls of his own; a man of so dominating and happy individuality that youth is drawn to him as is a fly to a sugar bowl. It is a story about a small town. It is not a gossipy yarn, nor is it a dry, monotonous account...'. The opposite of a 'lipogram' is a 'univocalic' which many writers seem to have attempted, notably C.C. Bombaugh in the late 1890s, though I think that's probably even more difficult than writing a lipogram!

samivel
131302.  Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:51 pm Reply with quote

Welcome :)

You can read the whole of Gadsby here.

GuyBarry
1313030.  Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:19 pm Reply with quote

Last Saturday's Guardian prize crossword was a lipogram. None of the clues or solutions contained the letter "E", and indeed LIPOGRAM was one of the solutions. Other solutions included VANISHING, AVOID and OMISSIONS - all references to translations of Georges Perec's novel La Disparition. OULIPO was also concealed in the grid, which contained all of the other 25 letters of the alphabet.

Naturally I didn't notice any of this while attempting to solve it. Some crossword compilers are too clever for their own good!

Page 3 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3