View previous topic | View next topic

Domino sparrow

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jenny
61268.  Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 pm Reply with quote

I don't know if this is too late to be of any use for the D series, but I was reminded today of "Domino Sparrow". This unfortunate bird was shot when it flew in through a window and disturbed a world-record attempt at domino toppling in the Netherlands. It apparently knocked over 23,000 dominos by knocking over only one and letting the chain of events unfurl. The event was doubly unfortunate because only a few days later the record attempt was due to be televised live in 11 countries across Europe. The death of this now-immortal bird caused worldwide outrage, and so did the outrage itself.

jg
61302.  Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:24 pm Reply with quote

I recall that story of the poor unfortunate sparrow in the papers some time ago. Not sure if it managed to knock over so many dominos but rather a tragic end to the feathered one by all accounts! Tho i must admit i do enjoy a good domino rally!! ;)

Quaintly Ignorant
61336.  Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:31 pm Reply with quote

Best domino story... ever

tetsabb
61344.  Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:02 pm Reply with quote

What happened to the idiot who left the window open, eh?
Typical, blame the poor little sparrow...

Flash
61361.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:09 am Reply with quote

Quaintly Ignorant wrote:

You have others?

Gray
61365.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:42 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Correction: NEW YORK (AP) - In a May 10 story about Domino's Pizza Inc.'s first-quarter earnings, The Associated Press erroneously reported the amount of sales generated by the company's domestic food-distribution business.

For the three months ended March 27, the division posted revenue of $201.8 million, not billion.

djgordy
61380.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:17 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Quaintly Ignorant wrote:

You have others?

Ah! Manys the night we used to go down to the local inn, quivering in anticipation of yet another one of Quaintly Ignorant's domino strories. People would come from miles around to hear the tale of the double blank, or the time someone played a five spot against a three spot in the County Domino Championship (Northen Division) quarter final, second leg. Sadly, those days are gone now.

djgordy
61391.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:10 am Reply with quote

Coincidentally, the stroy has just been featured in the Readers Digest. (I picked up a free copy from the gym I hasten to add.)

The sparrow did knock over 23,000 dominoes and with another 4,155,476 in danger the TV company, Endemol, has the sparrow shot. A website in tribute to the sparrow was set up and bountoes were offered to anyone who could knock down more of the dominoes before the officail event began.

The body of the sparrow was frozen and shown lying in state on the national news and was to be displayed at the Natuur Museum in Rotterdam.

mckeonj
61523.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:02 pm Reply with quote

Gray wrote:
Quote:
Correction: NEW YORK (AP) - In a May 10 story about Domino's Pizza Inc.'s first-quarter earnings, The Associated Press erroneously reported the amount of sales generated by the company's domestic food-distribution business.

For the three months ended March 27, the division posted revenue of $201.8 million, not billion.

US or UK billions or millions?
Yes, it does matter!

Quaintly Ignorant
61556.  Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:05 pm Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Quaintly Ignorant wrote:

You have others?

I suppose that's a proverbial gauntlet, really...
http://www.tradgames.org.uk/games/Dominoes.htm
Quote:
History

Tile games of some form have been found from around 1120 AD in China. Chinese dominoes are longer than Western ones and are divided into two types and were originally carved from bone or ivory with the indented pips made of ebony. Each Chinese tile represents one of the twenty-one different permutations of throwing two cubic dice although there are a total of thirty-two tiles since certain dominoes are duplicated. A set of Chinese tiles is divided into two categories - Military and Civilian. The Civilian tiles are the set of tiles that have duplicates while the Military tiles are those that are unique. A variety of different games were and still are played with these tiles and the much more modern tile game of Mah-Jong evolved from Chinese Dominoes.

Quite Interestingly, American Inuit peoples also play a game using tiles that are very similar to Dominoes. Which causes one to wonder if the game predates the migration across the land bridge to the Americas.

http://gamesmuseum.uwaterloo.ca/Archives/Culin/Dice1893/eskimo.html

It's no sparrow story, but it is interesting history nonetheless.

Celebaelin
108057.  Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:06 pm Reply with quote

djgordy wrote:
Coincidentally, the stroy has just been featured in the Readers Digest. (I picked up a free copy from the gym I hasten to add.)

The sparrow did knock over 23,000 dominoes and with another 4,155,476 in danger the TV company, Endemol, has the sparrow shot. A website in tribute to the sparrow was set up and bountoes were offered to anyone who could knock down more of the dominoes before the officail event began.

The body of the sparrow was frozen and shown lying in state on the national news and was to be displayed at the Natuur Museum in Rotterdam.

Is there some confusion here? Didn't SF say the Endemol was a company run by a relative of Sir Joseph William Bazalgette the chief engineer of the London sewer system? On the very same program that mentioned the sparrow IIRC. Is this co-incidence? Are there two Endemols, one a Dutch TV company and the other a poluter of the Thames or was this a mistake?

Certainly as late as Monday, 8 May 2006 (Sugababes launch mobile TV show) Peter Bazalgette was head of Endemol the TV company.

Quote:
"This will have the highest production quality like any TV show but it will be far more interactive," said Peter Bazalgette, head of Endemol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4750255.stm

Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

Lumpo31
108066.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:31 am Reply with quote

Celebaelin wrote:

Is there some confusion here? Didn't SF say the Endemol was a company run by a relative of Sir Joseph William Bazalgette the chief engineer of the London sewer system? On the very same program that mentioned the sparrow IIRC. Is this co-incidence? Are there two Endemols, one a Dutch TV company and the other a poluter of the Thames or was this a mistake?

Certainly as late as Monday, 8 May 2006 (Sugababes launch mobile TV show) Peter Bazalgette was head of Endemol the TV company.

Quote:
"This will have the highest production quality like any TV show but it will be far more interactive," said Peter Bazalgette, head of Endemol.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4750255.stm

Or am I remembering this incorrectly?

Same company, different branch. Endemol are Dutch-based, with world-wide subsidiaries. See our good friend Wiki -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endemol

I believe this company is related to Mr Bazalgette -
Quote:
In 1990 the group acquired two leading independent producers - Bazal (now CHEETAH TELEVISION)...

Ah yes, here's his very own Wiki page, which should confirm all -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Bazalgette

Lisa

Ejob
108071.  Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:56 am Reply with quote

Endemol is a name derived from it's two founders: Joop van den Ende and John de Mol. Now it's only Van den Ende. John de Mol has started his own tv station, by the name of Talpa (= latin for mole, i.e. mol = mole).

Hans Mof
112201.  Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote

Stephen Fry seemed most amused by the shooter's name which he quoted as 'Faunabeheer'. Alas: wrong!

The sniper was an employee of the 'Duke Faunabeheer' company,(Faunabeheer = Fauna Management). His name: Arie den Hertog.

Flash
112208.  Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:13 pm Reply with quote

How annoying. The articles in the English press I read about this definitely gave Faunabeheer as his name, and I thought it was rather clever of me to have noticed what it meant.

Retractions special.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next