View previous topic | View next topic

Dubbing

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

gerontius grumpus
37181.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:03 pm Reply with quote

Why might a fisherman carry a dubbing bag?

Paris
37183.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:06 pm Reply with quote

by any chance would it have anything to do with bait? im making a guess here

djgordy
37202.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:16 pm Reply with quote

Perhaps they're full of Augustus Pablo records.

Jenny
37207.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:22 pm Reply with quote

Well you didn't expect Billy the Big-Mouth Bass to sing that song all on his own did you?

Actually, dubbing is the material from which artificial flies are made for fly-fishing, so presumably a dubbing bag is the bag used to carry the said material in. Artificial flies were made as early as the days os Izaak Walton, who writes in his Compleat Angler on the subject of fishing for Bleaks:

Quote:
Or this fish may be caught with a fine small artificial fly, which is to be of a very sad brown colour, and very small, and the hook answerable. There is no better sport than whipping for Bleaks in a boat, or on a bank, in the swift water, in a summer's evening, with a hazel top about five or six foot long, and a line twice the length of the rod. I have heard Sir Henry Wotton say, that there be many that in Italy will catch swallows so, or especially martins; this bird-angler standing on the top of a steeple to do it, and with the line twice so long as I have spoken of. And let me tell you, scholar, that both Martins and Bleaks be most excellent meat.

Walton also quotes a poem by the aforesaid Sir Henry Wotton thus:
Quote:

The jealous trout, that low did lie
Rose at a well-dissembled fly
There stood my Friend, with patient skill,
Attending of his trembling quill.

In those days, feather quills, sometimes attached to corks, were used as floats by fly-fishermen.

For interested parties, this is the link to the etext version of The Compleat Angler: http://www.gutenberg.org/dirs/etext96/tcang10.txt

gerontius grumpus
37212.  Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:31 pm Reply with quote

Yes that's what I had in mind.

Victorian and Edwardian dry fly purists would, on arriving at the chalkstream, identify the insects to which the trout were rising.
Then catch a specimen and tie the closest possible copy on the riverbank.

The word dubbing actually refers to the fur or hair which is dubbed onto the tying silk with the help of a little beeswax or rosin to make the fly body.

Traditional dubbing materials include seals' fur, hair from moles and hares' ears and the fine pinkish wool from a tup's scrotum.

Tas
37243.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:39 am Reply with quote

Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree... or maybe I am just barking mad, but isn't Dubbing used as a waterproofing agent?

:-)

Tas

gerontius grumpus
37269.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:23 am Reply with quote

Aren't you thinking of dubbin, that's the waxy stuff that people used to put on their walking boots before the the sales people started accusing it of rotting the stitching?

Tas
37277.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:49 am Reply with quote

Ah, that may be it... so, I could just be barking at trees?

:-)

Tas

Gaazy
37335.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:43 pm Reply with quote

And there was I expecting a thread on the art of getting voices to move with cinematic mouths.

The Italian way of getting dialogue on to film seems always to have been post-synching, that is, not recording the actors' voices on set but bringing them in later to voice their own lines. But their audiences appear to be perfectly breezy about having the spoken syllables only very approximately matching the movement of the lips, and having the actors recorded in a soundproof box, close-miked without reverb, whatever the visual environment.

But fine pinkish wool from a tup's scrotum (post 37212) is much more interesting.

Jenny
37404.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:12 pm Reply with quote

What I want to know is, how dedicated a fly fisherman do you have to be to go and shave the aforesaid tup's scrotum?

JumpingJack
37407.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:16 pm Reply with quote

Tsk.

It's plucked, madam.

Jenny
37409.  Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:19 pm Reply with quote

<winces on behalf of the tup>

Flash
37419.  Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:09 am Reply with quote

Standing on top of a steeple fishing for swallows? That's a surreal image for you.

JumpingJack
37440.  Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:44 am Reply with quote

When I was at university people used to fish for seagulls off the roof.

Really.

samivel
37450.  Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:06 am Reply with quote

Were they successful?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next