View previous topic | View next topic

Ethnicity/Aboriginals

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Flash
147397.  Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:12 am Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:
Wasn't Hugh Grant also a Bullingdon Club member?

No. Or, rather, yes - he wasn't.

Bunter
147483.  Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, look, how does Gerald happen to have a sabre in his drinks cabinet? Is he an ex Russian cavalryman, or an antiques dealer?

Erm. I don't know. Does it matter greatly? If so, I can ask him.

Flash
147496.  Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:40 am Reply with quote

I've seen it done with an ordinary military ceremonial sword (which isn't a sabre, of course) and with a bayonet. It doesn't look difficult.

MatC
147503.  Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote

Well, if you will insist on drinking with the other ranks ...

MatC
150058.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quote

This’ll appeal to you, Flash and Bunter, given your views on unacceptable social mockery; Article 21 (1) of the new constitution of Venezuela outlaws discrimination on grounds of “social standing,” along with the usual race, sex etc.

E for Equal Ops ...

MatC
150059.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:35 pm Reply with quote

Bunter wrote:
Quote:
Now, look, how does Gerald happen to have a sabre in his drinks cabinet? Is he an ex Russian cavalryman, or an antiques dealer?

Erm. I don't know. Does it matter greatly? If so, I can ask him.

It worries me, that's all. Was there not a sabre amnesty in south London some time ago?

Bunter
150109.  Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:21 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
Was there not a sabre amnesty in south London some time ago?

Gerald lives on the Bucks/Oxfordshire border.

He makes lubricants.

Flash
150135.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:52 am Reply with quote

I'd just like to say that I don't regard social mockery as unacceptable; I simply observe that its accepability is assymetric in the world of politics. Mainstream politicians, senior people in the party of Government, can attack an opponent, on the record, on the grounds that he is a toff, without attracting opprobrium. The same is not true in reverse.

dr.bob
150140.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:01 am Reply with quote

I agree that it seems generally more acceptable to mock toffs that to rip the piss out of working class oiks. Is this just a case of backlash, though, just as, these days, it's acceptable for women to make fun of men being stupid, but men making fun of women are generally frowned upon?

In the old days, people of higher social class were generally respected by the lower classes just because they happened to be born to a higher class. Once the welfare state allowed working class people to become well educated, they realised that a lot of upper class people (just like any type of people) are supremely stupid and so the automatic respect for upper classes went out the window. Maybe the working classes are just making up for lost time by automatically disrespecting upper class people to try and redress the balance a bit.

eggshaped
150153.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:24 am Reply with quote

I have an opinion that it is unacceptable socially to take the piss out of any group which have been historically repressed. Makes life a bit boring if you're a white upper-class englishman I guess.

MatC
150160.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:37 am Reply with quote

eggshaped wrote:
I have an opinion that it is unacceptable socially to take the piss out of any group which have been historically repressed. Makes life a bit boring if you're a white upper-class englishman I guess.

You could always plead the Civil War?

eggshaped
150162.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:49 am Reply with quote

You taking the piss? Bolton was one of the only places in the country where commoners were massacred.

I think

MatC
150181.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:03 am Reply with quote

Yes, but we did cut the king's head off - so "white upper class englishmen" can at least point to one moment in time when they have been persecuted, and thus can claim immunity under your rules of inappropriate humour. Or is there a minimum repression threshold?

eggshaped
150193.  Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:28 am Reply with quote

OK, I'll go for "within living memory" - does that work?

MatC
157942.  Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:06 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Councillors are calling for action over regular bun fights in a Gloucestershire town.
Vandals are raiding bins at the back of the Co-op in Coleford and using the stale bread and cakes as ammunition. This leaves a trail of crumbs across neighbouring Pyart Court which is taking hours to clear. The town council said it has happened three times in the past month.
No-one from the Co-op was available for comment.

S: Western Daily Press, 19 March 07.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2