View previous topic | View next topic

Eating/Obesity

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2

MatC
159349.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:52 am Reply with quote

I fear you're right ..

Meanwhile, some more sources for the obesity virus (or Chubby Flu, as I like to think of it):

Quote:
Researchers at the University of Wisconsin in Madison have found that mice and chickens infected with a common human virus put on much more fat than uninfected animals. They have also discovered that the same virus is more prevalent among overweight people, a strong indication that it may also cause obesity in humans.
In four experiments, the Wisconsin researchers inoculated chickens and mice with adenovirus-36, a member of a viral family that includes about 50 strains. Most adenoviruses cause colds, diarrhea or pinkeye.
- http://archives.cnn.com/2000/HEALTH/07/28/fat.virus.ap/index.html

Quote:
Ad-36 has been shown in an in vitro study by researcher Nikhil Dhurandhar of the Pennington Biomedical Research Center to help human cells go from having the potential to store fat to actually storing it. "I am not saying that all obesity is caused by viruses," Dhurandhar notes. "Obesity has multiple causes and viruses may be one of those causes."
Whether or not hand-washing will help with weight management remains to be determined. "It makes people feel more comfortable to think that obesity stems from lack of control," Whigham adds. "It's a big mental leap to think you can catch obesity."
- ScientificAmerican

Quote:
Obesity could be contagious

- http://www.studentbmj.com/back_issues/0900/news/311a.html

I wonder if it might be worth tying this to a Gen Ig: “What causes stomach ulcers?” Or is that too well-known?

Flash
159391.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quote

I think the ulcers thing is OK, though we did already run it in the book.

Page 2 of 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2