View previous topic | View next topic

Eating/Obesity

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

eggshaped
124609.  Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:46 am Reply with quote

Just wanted to log this here, from some work I had originally posted on another forum.

Which country is the fattest in Europe?

Forfeit: The UK

Answers: Malta and Greece

This follows a government announcement that the UK was the lowest placed European country in a recent obesity survey. The fact of the matter was that only six other European countries replied to the survey, run by the OECD, which means that we are fatter than Belgium, Finland, France, Luxembourg, The Netherlands and Sweden.

The European Commission published a similar survey a few days later which, as far as I can see, included all countries under its duristiction, in it the UK came 10th in the list, well below countries such as Malta and Greece. It wasn't nearly as extensively covered in the papers, possibly because "The UK is overweight, but kinda average compared to the rest of Europe" isn't a very catchy headline.

The Maltese meanwhile complained that the survey's method, comparing body mass indexes, was flawed as it penalised countries whose members are shorter. (BMI is a height to weight ratio).

More work needed on this, but I think it has legs.

Flash
124616.  Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:19 am Reply with quote

Quote:
it has legs

Unlike the Maltese, it would seem.

MatC
146770.  Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:09 am Reply with quote

I’ve got some stuff on why obese people have much greater longevity than thin people, if anyone wants it. Also on who counts as obese (virtually all professional American footballers, eg.), and how the definitions of obesity are decided as a result of lobbying from competing interest groups.

Vitali
154112.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:31 am Reply with quote

Just to repreat my yesterday's thesis: the unhealthiest place in the UK (and in Europe) is Scotland, the birthplace of fried Mars bars (could be a good question in itself: "What's the motherland of a deep-fried Mars bar? It is acually Edinburgh!) and haggis (BTW, 40 per cent of Americans believe that haggis is a wild beast that can be hunted in Scotland!). And the unhealthiest place in Scotland is Greenock, where the longevity is 5-10 years lower than in the rest of Scotland.

eggshaped
154117.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:33 am Reply with quote

We had deep fried mars bars in a previous series I'm afraid.

eggshaped
155218.  Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:33 am Reply with quote

Americans too fat for x-rays.

Over the past 15 years, the number of failed scans linked to patient obesity has doubled

UK hospitals have had to make their beds stronger for obese patients.

Airlines are designing aircraft to carry heavier loads because passengers are becoming plumper.

Wimbledon is widening its centre court seats. The new seats around a renovated centre court will be six centimetres wider than the original 1922 model.

Batman, the Incredible Hulk and Spider-Man have all expanded their vital statistics in recent years.

source
source
source

Flash
155240.  Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:57 am Reply with quote

I have a friend who is a priest in Lincolnshire, and he says that quite a lot of the coffins they get are now too big for the crematorium in Boston, and have to be sent to London.

MatC
157935.  Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:59 am Reply with quote

King’s Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council is “installing bigger furnaces” at a crematorium, as it says here rather tastefully, “to cater for growing numbers of fat corpses.” The council says some coffins simply won't fin t into the burners.

S: Western Daily Press, 19 March 07

MatC
159215.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote

Human adenoviruses Ad-5, Ad-36, and Ad-37 have been shown to cause obesity in other animals, and Ad-36 has been “associated” with human obesity. This means that obesity might be contagious - it could be “caught like a cold,” which would help to explain its tendency to be geographically concentrated. A researcher from the University of Wisconsin, Madison, whose findings were published in the American Journal of Physiology, said that “With the exception of infectious diseases, no other chronic disease in history has spread so rapidly. The nearly simultaneous increase in obesity in most countries is difficult to explain by changes in food intake and exercise alone.”

S: Daily Telegraph, 31 Jan 06.

Isn’t the idea of “catching” a beer belly - from a germy doorknob, perhaps, or someone sneezing over you on the Northern Line - full of panel potential?

eggshaped
159224.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote

My personal theory is that the virus manipulates the brain of its host to eat lots and not exercise.

DELETED
159233.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Flash
159269.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote

The idea that you can catch obesity is great. I envisage Doon McKichan edging her chair away from Phill Jupitus.

MatC
159270.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:35 am Reply with quote

We could issue her with a face mask, and not tell her why until the question comes up ...

Flash
159271.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:36 am Reply with quote

LOL

DELETED
159274.  Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quote

DELETED

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next