View previous topic | View next topic

Brazil

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

CB27
262609.  Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:51 am Reply with quote

Another interesting fact about Recife and that area of Brazil is that history tends to forget it was a Dutch territory for a while and that it was settlers from Recife who sailed up the coast and created a new town called New Amsterdam - later to be renamed New York. Family folklore puts some of my ancestors as among those early settlers which would make sense as we have long established branches both in Recife and New York, but I never checked for authenticity.

Recife is also interesting to be in when it rains really heavily (only occasionally), as most of the city is built below sea level and some roads are so deep in water that if a large vehicle passes by it's like finding yourself inside a large wave.

rioconnection
302225.  Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote

Gavinio wrote:
Brazil is named after the wood from the brazilwood tree - prized for its use as a red dye.

In Brazil, Brazil nuts are called "Chestnuts from Para"

Flamengo RC football club were formed as Flamengo Rowing Club (written in English). The same reasons explains why Sport Recife, Corinthians and River Plate of Argentina are named in English - all founded by Englishmen

You'd think I'd know more facts about a country I lived in for a year and that is the size of Europe.

Flamengo Rowing Club (football team) has the largest number of supporters in the world. It was named after the area of Flamengo in Rio de Janeiro. 'Flamengo' being the portuguese name for Flemish due the Dutch settlers in the region.

rioconnection
302229.  Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am Reply with quote

The Amazon River, albeit not the longest river in the world is the largest in terms of sheer volume of water.

PDR
302259.  Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:18 am Reply with quote

Brazil is the only country which Terry Gilliam has used as the name of a film.

Twenty five years ago the word "Brazil" was a slang expression and code-phrase used by US Marines stationed at the Moscow Embassy to described the femail "Trophy companions" of senior officials and polit bureau members. When announcing the arrival of such an official at an embassy function the call on the radio would be "Arriving - Boris Yebgev plus Brazil".

I'm guessing it derives from a contraction of "Bra" and "Zil".

PDR

rbp
371537.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote

A short titbit: on his first podgram, Stephen says Brazilians call the manatee a "peixe-bóia", saying it translates to "fish-cow". It's actually spelled "peixe-boi", pronounced "pay-she-boy" (but with a closed O on "boy"), and translated to "fish-ox" (cow is "vaca"). I'll give him that the incorrect translation was probably taught him by a Brazilian, as our school English here is somewhat basic and many people don't know the word "ox".

CB27
371577.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote

Ah, and another thing, I'd like to apologise to the American tourist a few years back somewhere along the southern tip of the Copacabana who asked me one morning how to chat up the "chicks" on the beach and as I was in a naughty mood I told him to call them by the Portuguese for chick which is galinha.

I failed to mention it was also slang for hooker, but I think he figured it out when he got slapped...

:)

PDR
371620.  Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:45 pm Reply with quote

Well if we're in general confession/contrition mode I guess I should apologise to my wife for lying - her bum DOES look big in that.

PDR

samivel
371716.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote

You'll get Mike all excited if you say things like that.

CB27
371775.  Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:00 am Reply with quote

For some reason I suddenly got an image of a Brazilian song from a few years ago called Xibom bombom and everyone shaking their bums to it.

Zebra57
819286.  Wed May 25, 2011 6:00 pm Reply with quote

Brazil is becoming a magnet for Haitian migrants. They are heading for the Amazon Basin to seek work.

CB27
819470.  Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote

That's not magnetism, it's gravity that's pulling them down.

Zebra57
988650.  Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote

The Brazilian state of Acre has declared a state of emergency due to excessive illegal immigration.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-22106284

Zebra57
1030422.  Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote

The authorities in Rio are facing a difficult problem, as over 6,000 caimans inhabit the waterways and lagoons to the west of the city near to the site of the proposed Olympic complex.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/24583154

CB27
1030453.  Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:47 pm Reply with quote

I think Usain will be in danger of losing his 100m record if any of them come into the village...

Zebra57
1034239.  Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote

Sex workers in Rio are being given foreign language lessons in advance of the World Cup.

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next