View previous topic | View next topic

The Theory of Everything

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Do you believe that there is a theory that can explain everything in the universe?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 22 ]
There already is one
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
What's the theory of everything?
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Don't care
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 53

PDR
815652.  Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote

Why not?

PDR

Neotenic
815716.  Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
my own little known top secret Prolekult Theory.

If there is hope, it lies with the Prolekult?

Prolekult
815749.  Thu May 12, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote

yeah I can't reveal too much about it yet, but it involves the dynamic harmonies underlying the cosmic balance, and shit

PDR
815825.  Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote

Ah, diiging out the the old Low-level Harmonic Defaecation model for another airing, huh? Well it's brave, but be aware that to date it has sent the career of every scientist who persued it straight down the toilet.

PDR

aTao
815862.  Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote

I guess I have a very HHGTTG view on this one.
Sure there is a theory of everything, but its bloody useless, something like..

"This is how it all works, and the best machine to emulate it and therefore predict its outcome is the universe itself. So you may as well sit back and enjoy the show"

For a more nuts and bolts idea is that the behaviour of everything is governed by the behaviour of its components, if you are lucky then as you move from micro to macro then it all averages out. So, you examine, as best possible, quantum level particles and scale up. The problem is that it dosent average out, the chance of everything turning out average is tiny.

Some modern forerunners to such a Theory of Everything are Sods' Law and Murphys' Law.

Prolekult
816547.  Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Ah, diiging out the the old Low-level Harmonic Defaecation model for another airing, huh? Well it's brave, but be aware that to date it has sent the career of every scientist who persued it straight down the toilet.

PDR

I like that name. Still that allows me to play my trump card, that I have no scientific career.

Page 5 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5