View previous topic | View next topic

The Theory of Everything

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Do you believe that there is a theory that can explain everything in the universe?
Yes
30%
 30%  [ 16 ]
No
41%
 41%  [ 22 ]
There already is one
9%
 9%  [ 5 ]
What's the theory of everything?
3%
 3%  [ 2 ]
Don't care
15%
 15%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 53

Davini994
335176.  Tue May 13, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote

Ok, fair enough. But it's not a grand unified theory, which is what I am trying to convey, what physics was and is chasing, and what Martina was discussing.

And as for string theory...

PDR
335213.  Tue May 13, 2008 4:53 am Reply with quote

Davini994 wrote:
Ok, fair enough. But it's not a grand unified theory, which is what I am trying to convey, what physics was and is chasing, and what Martina was discussing.

True enough - although I could argue that it is indeed a grand theory because it has been published on hand-made vellum bound in limp lilac leather covers.

My cheek seems to be full of tongue again.

Quote:

And as for string theory...
[image deleted]

ROFLMAO! That's cheered-up a morning that started badly. I shall indoubtedly steal it for future use.

PDR

Davini994
335617.  Tue May 13, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote

Excellent! I should make it clear that it's not mine, it's xkcd which is repeatedly wondeful.

banjaminn
692698.  Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote

I think it is more than only the higgs missing. If I understood it right, its 20 unknown particles, which Lisi suggested in his Lie-Group. Maybe LHC finds them. I hope! It would outclass the academic world again. Like always, when new things are found by single individuals

bobwilson
693158.  Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:22 am Reply with quote

I have a complete theory of everything - unfortunately the space in this margin........

jadelicosner89
758630.  Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:51 am Reply with quote

yes the theory and the truth that God created everything in this planet is just enough to explain everything..

PDR
758692.  Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:59 am Reply with quote

jadelicosner89 wrote:
yes the theory and the truth that God created everything in this planet is just enough to explain everything..

The trouble is that they're mutually exclusive - that theory and the truth can't coexist in any given reality.

Well that and the fact that it doesn't actually explain anything; it merely says "don't worry your pretty little head about such things" or at best "we'll tell you when you're older, now be quiet while the grown-ups are talking".

It isn't much use for deriving the masses of fundamental particles or the universal constants.

PDR

Prolekult
815489.  Wed May 11, 2011 4:20 pm Reply with quote

A Theory of Everything isn't the difficult thing to find, it's finding a Law of Everything that is the problem.

Anyone can come up with a theory, but that doesn't mean it has any basis in reality.

As people have pointed out Creationism does fine as a Theory of Everything, as does String Theory, the Flying Spaghetti Monster and my own little known top secret Prolekult Theory.

I think a Law of Everything is basically unfeasible, like a small child, any answer can simply be countered by another "Why?". No matter how many layers of the onion we peel back we can never be sure there aren't more.

samivel
815648.  Thu May 12, 2011 10:46 am Reply with quote

Why?

;)

PDR
815652.  Thu May 12, 2011 10:52 am Reply with quote

Why not?

PDR

Neotenic
815716.  Thu May 12, 2011 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
my own little known top secret Prolekult Theory.

If there is hope, it lies with the Prolekult?

Prolekult
815749.  Thu May 12, 2011 5:19 pm Reply with quote

yeah I can't reveal too much about it yet, but it involves the dynamic harmonies underlying the cosmic balance, and shit

PDR
815825.  Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 am Reply with quote

Ah, diiging out the the old Low-level Harmonic Defaecation model for another airing, huh? Well it's brave, but be aware that to date it has sent the career of every scientist who persued it straight down the toilet.

PDR

aTao
815862.  Fri May 13, 2011 9:48 am Reply with quote

I guess I have a very HHGTTG view on this one.
Sure there is a theory of everything, but its bloody useless, something like..

"This is how it all works, and the best machine to emulate it and therefore predict its outcome is the universe itself. So you may as well sit back and enjoy the show"

For a more nuts and bolts idea is that the behaviour of everything is governed by the behaviour of its components, if you are lucky then as you move from micro to macro then it all averages out. So, you examine, as best possible, quantum level particles and scale up. The problem is that it dosent average out, the chance of everything turning out average is tiny.

Some modern forerunners to such a Theory of Everything are Sods' Law and Murphys' Law.

Prolekult
816547.  Sun May 15, 2011 6:11 pm Reply with quote

PDR wrote:
Ah, diiging out the the old Low-level Harmonic Defaecation model for another airing, huh? Well it's brave, but be aware that to date it has sent the career of every scientist who persued it straight down the toilet.

PDR

I like that name. Still that allows me to play my trump card, that I have no scientific career.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next