View previous topic | View next topic

Escapology

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Burrell
213995.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:46 am Reply with quote

LOL. : )

Yes I would agree 100% with you there.

There have been many sad stories of people reading info On-Line or in a book which is out of date or was wrong to begin with and then doing something very silly (say jumping off a bridge or hanging from a burning rope) and looking very suprised when it goes wrong.

Thakfully I am not guilty of that one (at least, not of doing it on camera)

Burrell
214246.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:08 pm Reply with quote

Just to add other footage of Escapology in action. You might be interested is seeing a rare clip of David DeVal's escape from the Revolution Roller Coaster, at Blackpool Pleasure Beach, here in the UK back in 1984.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9E0jwmAEd08

DeVal remains one of only 2 people to have escaped from the Original Fenton lock (as declined by Houdini) and once escaped from the Dungeon under the House of Lords.

Bracken
214275.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:26 pm Reply with quote

Can you advise me of the film The Prestige?

as for illusion as part of my trade so to speak cuffs and restraints were usual. i was fortunate to have been shown the way to remove the restraints by a client/friend. and i did find that in a small group persons found the whole illusion performance very "amazing". however the same people were not impressed by this removal in order to facilitate my escape from personal settings.

which would you prefer? magic, illusion, performance, or the truth??

Bracken
214276.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 3:30 pm Reply with quote

it would seem Burrell that you are a mine of information on this subject. i appreciate the insights offered.
however what would you say has been the most visually appeasing escape to date? i found the De Val quite mundane to watch and definitely not his best work.

npower1
214286.  Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:14 pm Reply with quote

Wikipedia has an entry for the film 'The Prestige'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Prestige_(film)

Burrell
214456.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:57 am Reply with quote

Welcome Braken. The main problem with escapes from a time before mid 1990’s is that they have been lost or are far harder to find online than the current crop.

I would rate many of the escapes performed by DeVal, such as escaping from the Dick Turpin Prison Cell or from the Dungeon under the House of Lords as being visually stunning however there is limited video evidence to support the effect.

Guinness World Records had a clip of Nick Janson on their website. Janson, as previously stated is a Guinness World Record holder in Escapology, the clip is of him performing his famous Houdini Bomb escape. Janson would be manacled and then locked into a metal box shaped like a bomb, lifted about 30 feet into the air and then the bomb would fall. Janson had just a few seconds to escape.

Equally, American Escape Artist Steve Baker performed a frightening escape where he was chained to the side of a car which is about to be rammed by another vehicle. He escaped with fractions of a second to spare. It was genuinely dangerous. This video is online and can be found via his website.

As far as I know and have been able to determine, all of the locks used in the above escapes were genuine so I would have to say that these were three of the most stunning escapes I am aware of.

There are, of course, far more dramatic escapes, such as running from a box filled with explosives, the Chinese Water Torture and being buried alive but these have either been done to death and have lost their attraction or have resulted in death / serious injury and as a result have lost their attraction.

As for what I prefer, well I would argue that is personal choice. Please send me a personal message if you would like to discuss this in depth.

mckeonj
214465.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:20 am Reply with quote

To Burrell:
You are probably already aware of 'Clarke's Laws' in re prediction and science fiction; but I think they have some bearing on this discussion of 'escapology v. magic'.
Quote:
Arthur C. Clarke formulated the following three "laws" of prediction:
When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

It is the last one that chimes: true escapology is an application of technology, and if well done, would be indistinguishable from 'magic' to unsophisticated members of an audience.
The second law is also relevant to escapology, less so the first.

Burrell
214556.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:55 am Reply with quote

I would agree with you in that regard, in fact you have been able to explain it far better than I could / have to date.

I just wish I knew how some escape artists are able to carry out their art.

Oh and just to clarify, I am not an expert in Escapology, I do however find it quite interesting. (sorry)

Tas
214568.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:13 am Reply with quote

You apologise for finding something QI? Fie! Look at the name of the website!

c",)

Tas

Burrell
214582.  Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:32 am Reply with quote

I know but it sounded like a very bad pun.

Burrell
220300.  Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:20 am Reply with quote

To illustrate two points 1) that Escapology is not a dead art form and 2) that the QI forum attracts those with the key knowledge, I offer the following…

…David Straitjacket (UK Escape artist and QI Forum Member) will, on the 19th of October 2007 perform an escape on Blackpool Pleasure Beach. This escape will be shown live on National Television and then Internationally.

It will be, for safety reasons, by invitation only should you wish to watch it live. I strongly suggest you tune in and watch.

samivel
220418.  Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:55 pm Reply with quote

What channel will it be on?

Burrell
220431.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:08 am Reply with quote

He has not said yet....

As soon as I know, it will be posted here.

Nobbler
220684.  Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:11 pm Reply with quote

my bet is that he will stage an escape from the rails of a roller coaster as already done (twice?) by Lance Burton. This will probably be performed on GMTV judging by the link on his website.

Burrell
220708.  Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:20 am Reply with quote

My personal bet is that 'Health and Safety' would scupper that idea. I will also go for This Morning as opposed to GMTV.

I think Burton only did it once. Others have done the 'Tied to the Roller Coaster tracks' to a greater or lesser degree.

It could be on the lines of the De-Val escape I linked to earlier. This escape was far harder than most people would consider due to the g-forces on the body and the additional weight of the restraints.

Regardless of what he chooses to do, I wish David Straitjacket the very best of luck.

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next