View previous topic | View next topic

fat fatty fat fat

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

holleeday
129530.  Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:09 pm Reply with quote

waist/hip ratio is also important re heart disease/diabetes risk so bmi while used extensively may actually be a surrogate marker for waist/hip ratio.
generally waist/hip ratio of <0.9 is healthier (so waist is smaller than hip measurement (the classic "hourglass" or even "pear" shape figure safer than "apple" figure)), from that a high bmi usually means a large waist hence the above measurements of waist size.

Bondee
129897.  Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:30 pm Reply with quote

Am I the only one who read the subject and thought of Marjorie Dawes?

eggshaped
152926.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:28 am Reply with quote

New figures in this year have shown that less English men are overweight than Slovakians, Austrians, Spainiards, Greeks and Germans. Englishmen are also less likely to be obese than the Maltese.

For women the results are different. English women top the European Obesity league, and are the second most likely to be overweight after the Maltese.

Again these figures relate to BMI and are collated by the EU. What makes these better than the above surveys is that many more countries are covered.

Unfortunately, I think that the fact that English Women are actually the most obese in Europe according to this survey means that it wont work as a GI question. Could be good supplimentary material though.

Anyone know the current theories on the fact that Obesity may be caused by a virus, has that been thrown out yet?

grizzly
152932.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:39 am Reply with quote

I thought the Scottish were fatter than the English? I seem to be hearing endless reports about Scotland having a worse obesity problem than the rest of the UK (along with a drink problem of course).

Tas
152933.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:40 am Reply with quote

All the Scots I know have no problem drinking...

:-)

Tas

Mulvil
152934.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:41 am Reply with quote

I'd say the only drink problem is that there isn't enough

dr.bob
153072.  Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:45 am Reply with quote

In the words of Frankie Boyle:

"Just imagine how much worse the Scottish drinking problem would be if there wasn't all that heroin to take our minds off it"

jaygeemack
153803.  Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:51 am Reply with quote

I was channel-hopping on the TV last night, and came across a programme where an American woman had lost 65 stones (910 pounds, 415 kilos) in weight. She must have been about 80 stone before her 'diet'. This is mindboggling!

swot
154072.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:03 am Reply with quote

There's a fifteen-year-old in the news today who wants a gastric band to stop her eating 5000 calories or so a day. 5000! She's a child, she doesn't need surgery, she needs therapy. Poor kid.

Mulvil
154087.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:13 am Reply with quote

I bet I could manage 5000 a day. It'd be difficult mind, thats what? about twice the recommended amount of an adult male?

swot
154093.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:17 am Reply with quote

Yes.

smiley_face
154292.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote

Or about four times what I'm currently allowed at the moment, courtesy of my "Shit! It's a month until I go SCUBA diving" panic diet.

Hummingbird
154299.  Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote

The woman was 45 stone and lost 30. She then had 20 odd pounds taken off surgically in loose skin. It was horrific.

If you are born with the thrifty gene and are raised to eat four square meals a day as she was it's a recipe for trouble. Add to that childhood abuse and you have disaster. Her sister became anorexic in response to the same conditions.

dr.bob
154559.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:05 am Reply with quote

smiley_face wrote:
Or about four times what I'm currently allowed at the moment, courtesy of my "Shit! It's a month until I go SCUBA diving" panic diet.

Make sure you don't eat too little. According to a book I read once, if a body receives too few calories on an ongoing basis, it switches into "famine survival mode". In this way it can manage to survive on many fewer calories than normal, thus making it even harder to lose any weight.

hugh
154562.  Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:13 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
samivel wrote:
Being alive is a very dangerous thing.

Invariably fatal in the end, I believe.

I seem to remember reading that the first few minutes of life were supposed to be the most dangerous - to which someone responded that the last couple tended to be fatal!

Page 4 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next