View previous topic | View next topic

fat fatty fat fat

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jazzie26
126462.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:13 am Reply with quote

Heres a link for BMI calculator!
http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/body_weight/healthy_weight/bmi_calculator.htm

Personally they are only a guide to help anyone trying to stay healthy and keep fit and healthy and in good shape, I played with the BMI calculator a little bit, now my height is 5ft 0 inches, weighing 8 stone 11 pounds, which gives me a BMI of 24, which classes me as normal weight, but apparently I'm classed as normal weight from 6 stone 11 pounds, because 6stone 10 pounds is classed as underwight, but surely anyone that weighs even 6 stone 11 pounds even though considered healthy would look very poorly and anorexic indeed!

Someones BMI cannot be accurate without knowing a persons fitness level, and or how a person is built, because everyone has a different body frame, we are not all the same height, shape or size, a person at 10 stone who runs everyday or goes to the gym everyday or both, will be considered healthier and much more fit than a person at 10 stone who is a couch potato and is out of breath before they reach the top of the stairs!

CaptTimmy
126466.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:29 am Reply with quote

Your BMI is 20.2 - healthy weight

And I was being slightly generous with the weight at 133.

Jazzie26
126468.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:47 am Reply with quote

CaptTimmy wrote:
Your BMI is 20.2 - healthy weight

And I was being slightly generous with the weight at 133.

How did you work that out? I did it in feet and inches, stones and pounds, when I calculate it, it comes to a BMI of 24! Thanks for the generosity though :-)

Gaazy
126477.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:39 am Reply with quote

Jenny wrote:
So what would the appropriate waist measurement be for a man? Surely it would be higher than for a woman, as women are (in theory) supposed to go in at the waist more than men.

Well, once again the health gurus seem to have hit upon a figure (pun sort of intended) and halved it, as they are rumoured to have done with safe alcohol limits.

It's not so much halved in the case of waist measurement, but the limits I had read about now seem old hat, and we're now all doooomed.

This from BBC Health:
Quote:
Waist measurement is now believed to be a much more accurate measure of future health risk than BMI alone. Carrying too much fat around your middle is associated with an increased risk of developing heart disease and diabetes.

It's also associated with a greater risk of high cholesterol levels which, in turn, increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

A waist circumference greater than 80cm (32in) for women and 94cm (37in) for men increases the risk of cardiovascular diseases, for example, heart attacks and stroke, and diabetes.

The greatest risk is for women with a waist measurement of more than 88cm (35in) and men with a waist measurement of more than 102cm (40in).

samivel
126525.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:59 am Reply with quote

Being alive is a very dangerous thing.

Gaazy
126536.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:24 am Reply with quote

I've got 3 more waist-inches to go before I'm doooomed.

Still struggling with the 21 units a week, though.

simonp
126609.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:

No, eating is dangerous. Of those who contract the habit of eating almost none survive in the long term

samivel
126618.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:13 am Reply with quote

Whereas there are examples of those who don't eat who live forever?

Jenny
126739.  Thu Dec 14, 2006 8:49 pm Reply with quote

samivel wrote:

Invariably fatal in the end, I believe.

dr.bob
126774.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 4:59 am Reply with quote

samivel wrote:

http://www.breatharian.com/wileybrooks.html

suze
126818.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:41 am Reply with quote

Ah, the wonderful Breatharians!

The leader of the American Breatharians, one Wiley Brooks, is wily indeed - you too can learn how to survive by consuming only air (a week in the Utah desert, $5,000 upfront, no refunds, all applicants must be prequalified - which I imagine to mean not very intelligent and certainly not journalists).

I first encountered this bizarre concept in a rather wonderful book which I sadly no longer have - Can you speak Venusian by Patrick Moore. Moore established that the then leader of the Breatharians did actually eat in much the same way as everyone else, going on to note "in fact probably worse than most, as he has to rely on places open late at night".

In the same book Moore tells of the time he interviewed the "Ruler of the Solar System", having first been told that the Ruler spoke every language which had ever existed in the Solar System. This transpired to be wrong - Moore established that the Ruler was unable to understand questions posed in French or Norwegian.

Mr Moore is able to speak three languages. They are English, French and Norwegian.

eggshaped
126820.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:47 am Reply with quote

It was once thought that chameleons lived off fresh-air, mainly because they're not often seen eating, or indeed doing very much at all.

costean
126929.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:50 pm Reply with quote

suze wrote:
Ah, the wonderful Breatharians!

Quote:
A DIETICIAN who claims it ispossible to live off fresh air has failed in a television documentary to practise what she preaches.

An Australian programme, 60 Minutes, asked Jasmuheen, a former financial adviser whose real name is Ellen Greve, to demonstrate that she could live healthily without any nutrients other than air for one week.

Last month, Verity Linn, an Australian environmentalist, was found starved to death by a loch in West Sutherland with a copy of the teachings of Jasmuheen in her belongings. Ms Linn died one week after beginning a planned three-week fast.

Jasmuheen, who claims not to have eaten real food for years, agreed to be cut off from the outside world for the test. But the programme-makers were forced to call a halt to the trial after four days when she showed signs of becoming seriously ill.

Here is a link to a site which monitors these very odd people.

samivel
127037.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote

dr.bob wrote:
samivel wrote:

http://www.breatharian.com/wileybrooks.html

What a bunch of nutters.

Lumpo31
127084.  Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:56 pm Reply with quote

Ah Jasmuheen! What a paragon of virtue and all things good...not!

Makes me glad to be an Australian...again, not!

They've been on her case for years - I can't believe she's still going on claiming she's not eating. I recall a reporter (Brady Halls, if I recall correctly) for "The Midday Show" going to her house (must be 12-13 years ago) and looking in her fridge, which for some reason was full to the gunnels of food. Who was that for? she was asked. Oh, that was just in case any visitors needed it, or words to that effect.

As Hubby just said, "Nutbag!"

Lisa

Page 3 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next