View previous topic | View next topic

fat fatty fat fat

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Luna
122341.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:44 pm Reply with quote

Gluben wrote:
Yes, I read somewhere that Malta was the fattest in Europe. Not surprising, seeing as they're filled with Maltesers...

oh gluben *shakes head in disgust*

Jenny
122383.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote

I'm relieved to say that that BMI indicator only allows you to input figures in metric, and I don't know the metric versions of mine, so I'll just settle for the sure and certain knowledge that I'm well and truly overweight!

Gluben
122399.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:48 pm Reply with quote

Luna wrote:
Gluben wrote:
Yes, I read somewhere that Malta was the fattest in Europe. Not surprising, seeing as they're filled with Maltesers...

oh gluben *shakes head in disgust*

It's been so long...!

eggshaped
122500.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 7:15 am Reply with quote

More on the Maltese obesity statistics. The BMI compares height against weight, and apparently the reason that Malta is top of the EC list is that they are all short-arses.

Quote:
While the average Maltese weight is not particularly high, this is compensated for by the fact that we are the shortest nation in Europe with an average height of 164.9 centimetres compared to the EU average of 169.6 centimetres.

So this brings up a whole new issue about whether or not BMI is a good indicator of obesity, especially when comparing people of different ethnicity.

dr.bob
122530.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:52 am Reply with quote

I think it's generally accepted that BMI is not a good indicator of obesity even when comparing people of the same ethnicity. As your muscle mass decreases rather a lot as you get older, an 80 year old can have the same BMI as a 20 year old but have a lot more fat in their system.

eggshaped
122531.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 am Reply with quote

So is there any better way of measuring obesity then Dr B?

smiley_face
122942.  Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:07 pm Reply with quote

Surely you just need to look at someone to see if they're obese. I mean, it can't be that difficult to tell.

andymac
122945.  Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:12 pm Reply with quote

Only if you see them nekked - which is a scary thought. Otherwise, they could have corsets, and all manner of other ingenious contraction gadget.

CaptTimmy
123103.  Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:49 am Reply with quote

Quote:
Several well documented instances have been reported of extremely obese people flushing aircraft toilets whilst still sitting on them. The vacuum action of these toilets sucked the rectum inside out.

I thought exactly of this topic when I saw that....

Gaazy
123115.  Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:43 am Reply with quote

Trying not to think of the rectal thing, I seem to recall that a simple waist measurement is now considered enough to assess obesity - over 35 inches for a woman, for example, I think.

costean
123159.  Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:32 am Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:
Trying not to think of the rectal thing, I seem to recall that a simple waist measurement is now considered enough to assess obesity - over 35 inches for a woman, for example, I think.

Agreed. If it is as round as a duck, has the bouyancy of a duck, waddles like a duck and doesn't sound like a duck. Then it's fat.

andymac
123185.  Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quote

Gaazy wrote:

How would that work for a woman four foot tall being compared with one seven foot six? Surely the natural size without any fat needs to be taken into account?

eggshaped
126301.  Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:30 am Reply with quote

Got a letter from the Department of Health today:

Quote:
Dear Mr Harkin,

Thank you for your e-mail...due to the large amount of correspondance... yahdi yah... I have been asked to reply.

Statistics used by the Department of Health come from various sources, depending on the subject in question. Regarding figures for obesity in the UK, the Department takes its data from the Health Survey for England.

I understand your confusion on the different figures you have come across for obesity numbers in Europe.... Ministers therefore appreciate that not all data will be 100 percent accurate, but view them as guidelines on how to direct their policies.

Etc etc.

Got to say I'm impressed by their speedy reply.

Gaazy
126331.  Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:32 pm Reply with quote

andymac wrote:
Gaazy wrote:

How would that work for a woman four foot tall being compared with one seven foot six? Surely the natural size without any fat needs to be taken into account?

Yes, this is the point - apparently height has nothing to do with it. I'd like to have time to find sources for this, but I'm fairly sure I've read some pretty authoritative articles about this, all of which are agreed that scientists are now moving away from BMI to a simple waist measurement.

Jenny
126451.  Wed Dec 13, 2006 10:38 pm Reply with quote

So what would the appropriate waist measurement be for a man? Surely it would be higher than for a woman, as women are (in theory) supposed to go in at the waist more than men.

Page 2 of 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next