View previous topic | View next topic

Equity (The Actors' Union)

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Ian Dunn
122177.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:34 am Reply with quote

All actors and actress who want to become professional have to join Equity, and have to use their own unique name. If someone already uses your real name, you have to use a fake one. Which is somewhat problematic. Imagine the names people will have to come up with in 100 years time.

Also, if you want to leave Equity, you have to pay an "Honourable withdrawal" fee of £25. What other orgaisation forces you to pay money if you leave it?

barbados
122186.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:58 am Reply with quote

Do you mean people like,
Eithne ní Bhraonáin
Tara Leigh Patrick
David Albert Cook
And Maurice Cole?

barbados
122187.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:10 am Reply with quote

One of the most well known name changes is Michael Keaton / Michael Douglas.

It's well known that Keaton's real name is Douglas and he changed it because of the rules, he couldn't use Mike Douglas because that was the name of a radio presenter
But by way of trivia, there is a less well known Michael Douglas, he's the one that was killed in a road accident after a certain Laura Welch failed to stop at a stop sign and broadsided his car. No charges were brought against Welch. One wonders if her future husband may have used a little influence? (allegedly)

dr.bob
122199.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:45 am Reply with quote

Is there any other profession in the world that is so thoroughly unionised as acting?

Flash
122225.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:38 am Reply with quote

Isn't it illegal to operate a closed shop in the EU? And, if it is, how can Equity membership be compulsory?

barbados
122230.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:50 am Reply with quote

There isn't anything on the Equity website to suggest it is compulsory, although it does suggest it as a sign f your professional integrity. I would reckon that's how they get round it.

Tas
122259.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:25 am Reply with quote

Equity membership is not compulsory, but actors/actresses etc who are not members will find it INCREDIBLY hard to get work. This encourages membership, but it is not mandatory AFAIK. I am meeting with a few luvvie types this very eve. I shall pump them for information.

Steady.....steady! Stop that sniggering. Yes, that means you lot at the back of the class.

:-)

Tas

dr.bob
122272.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:42 am Reply with quote

I'd be interested to find out.

I was always lead to believe that it was impossible to get an acting job without an equity card, which is why you hear tales of people agreeing to appear as an extra standing at the back in a commercial just so they can have a valid reason to join and thereby be available for "proper" acting jobs.

Flash
122275.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:47 am Reply with quote

I think that used to be the case up till the '70s. In America such rules seem still to be quite commonplace, which always seems perverse in view of their generally quite employer-friendly labour laws. Maybe that's the reason, though; over there the laws don't protect the workers so the guilds have to, whereas here the opposite is the case.

I'm just busking this, as is probably apparent.

mckeonj
122338.  Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:26 pm Reply with quote

I think that journalists also operate a 'closed shop'.

dr.bob
122475.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:33 am Reply with quote

They certainly used to, but didn't cuddly Uncle Rupert Murdoch put a stop to that kind of thing?

Or was it specifically the printers' unions that he had a row with?

tetsabb
122610.  Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:55 pm Reply with quote

Quote:
cuddly Uncle Rupert Murdoch

Words that really do not belong in the same sentence. (Yes I know the good Dr B was being ironic!)
A BBC ad last night said that on Radio 5 live over the weekend there is to be an interview with one of his sons (Lachlan?). My Better Half and I agreed that among the first questions would have to be:
"How does it feel to be the spawn of the spawn of Beelzebub?"
and
"What is the growth rate of those bumps on your forehead?"

Shudder

MatC
122874.  Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:05 am Reply with quote

Flash wrote:
Isn't it illegal to operate a closed shop in the EU? And, if it is, how can Equity membership be compulsory?

It isn't - hasn't been for many years - and there is no "withdrawal fee". I was a member for some years, and am no longer (because I no longer work in that field).

Ian Dunn
122876.  Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:10 am Reply with quote

MatC wrote:
Flash wrote:

It isn't - hasn't been for many years - and there is no "withdrawal fee". I was a member for some years, and am no longer (because I no longer work in that field).

But according to this on the Equity website, you have to pay.

Equity wrote:
Honourable Withdrawal:

For any full member of Equity who is up-to-date with their subscriptions and taking a career break i.e neither actively seeking work or working. This freezes their membership for up to three years at a time and costs £25. Members must contact Equity's Records Department for full details.

MatC
122879.  Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:14 am Reply with quote

That's for someone who wants to rejoin! Not for someone who wants to leave ...

Page 1 of 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next